Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR Diary  (Read 6645 times)

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: TKR Diary
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
I hope you find this diary to be useful, I have spoken about my emotions and I have tried to be as honest as I possibly can and hopefully will be of some help to others. I know there is still a long way to go and I know I still have a long way to go. Please remember this is surgery in a NHS hospital in the UK. Possibly quite different from other countries
I cannot praise or thank the hospital staff enough or my husband, family, friends and colleagues for all their care and support not just the last couple of weeks or so but helping me through the last two years. .

Tuesday 23.1.07. Day before surgery.
Rang hospital at 4.45pm. Bed ready. Just waiting for husband to come home from work. Big hug and said cheerio to my younger son(heís 12 and very sensitive), told me he loved me loads and said ďplease donít die on the operating tableĒ I said †ďof course I wonít Ē Got caught in the rush hour traffic arrived at hospital at 5.30pm. In a six bedded ward four beds in use. Lady in bed next to me knee replacement went down at 10am she didnít seem to bad. Lady opposite knee replacement and the other lady hip replacement. I am the youngest on the ward. Booked in by a the ward manager loads of paperwork to go through. Glad to be told I am first on the list around 9am. Will be in approx 5 days. Had some tea, soup and a sandwich. Had anti-clotting injection in stomach. Pain and stiffness really bad. 7.30pm Anaesthetist came to see me same one as I had for my first surgery. Will give me anti-sickness drug as I have been very sick previously after a GA something for indigestion and I will have a nerve block to deaden leg and painkillers up to morphine as required. Did ask if I wanted an epidural, sooner be knocked out and wake up when itís all done.
Day 1. Terrible nights sleep, not because I was worried just never sleep very well in a strange bed even when I go on holiday. Used some ear plugs my friend had sent me it did drown out some of the snoring from the other patients. Just started to drift off and woken by the nurse couldnít hear very well because of ear plugs! Time to get up for a shower its 6.30am, put gown on and paper pants. Tablet given for indigestion and taken for several x-rays at 8am, hope they make it the same length as before, itís a pity they arenít doing both legs together they could add a few more inches always wanted to be taller. Consultant comes to see and one of his team draws arrow on my leg. Just waiting now taken down to theatre 9am feeling a bit nervous now, this has just got to work.
Very jolly in anaesthetic room, had the tablet they had given taken all the pain away, ĒNoĒ I said, just as well they may have cured me. Did I still want to cancel there was still time they joked, if you had seen me walking yesterday I donít think so. My consultant said glad I hadnít changed my mind as he fancied doing some surgery this morning. Heart monitor patches attached to chest, needle put in back of hand missed vein first attempt, okay on second go. Cold liquid going into back of hand, mask on face did seem to be ages before I went off. Came around from anaesthetic leg felt awful had nerve block not exactly pain but it felt like my leg was heavy and being crushed., a real horrible feeling. Felt sick then got the shakes really bad, could feel the whole of the bed shaking. They then put some sort of warming blanket on top of me started to feel a bit better. Could hear nurse, she refused to take me back to the ward until they had sorted out the shakes. Drifted in and out of sleep. Got back to ward about 1pm, could hear monitor bleeping away nurse constantly checked my BP. Asked for a sip of water very dry. Consultant said all had gone well asked what sort of implant I had been given new generation, have to find out a bit more about that. IV antibiotics given and told they would drain the blood from my knee, filter it and give it me back, itís all clever stuff. Leg bandaged and in a long splint full length of my leg. Feeling starting to come back in my foot it feels very weird. Asked for a bedpan must have missed, bed feels very wet, feel really embarrassed, no dignity. Tell staff they tell me not to worry they can soon change the bed they are wonderful very caring even though they are rushed off their feet. Asked if I want to change into my nightdress said no just want to be left to sleep.
During night drifted in and out of sleep still got nerve block, pain not too bad, but starting to get pins and needles feeling uncomfortable. Temperature a bit high they put on a fan.

Day 2. †Bedbath that feels a bit better out of the theatre gown into my nightware. Consultant visits me, out of splint and bandage comes off. Change dressing all says it looks very neat, I have a look, looks like something from Frankenstein with the staples in donít worry scar will fade canít say I am too worried about the scar so long as the pain has gone. Physio and student physio come to see me to get me out of bed to sit in chair, using a frame to help me to walk feel really shaky, knee gives way, feel quite frightened, nerve block not worn off yet. Had to use commode as I donít think I could make it to bathroom. Sit in chair for a short time start to get the shakes, go back to bed Physio shows me a couple of exercises and tells me I am doing well. Now in a great deal of pain given paracetomol and codine. Pain becomes really bad given a morphine injection, much more comfortable now, feel very sleepy. Bring me lunch not very hungry donít eat much think of the weight loss. Taken for x-ray asked if I could see it looks so cool. Saw one of the Doctors on my way back someone I used work with had a bit of a joke with him, nice to see a familiar face. Occupational Therapy lady came and introduced herself to me and will go through things that I will need for home in the next few days, she seemed very nice. Started to be very sick, given anti- sickness injection in leg and anti-clotting injection into stomach, pain really bad. Physio comes back will be back tomorrow hopefully I will be feeling better. Feel sick and dizzy and real bad pain from knee. Doctor comes and has a look at leg they are obviously concerned about DVT. Given morphine injection in leg. Real bad nights sleep.

Day 3. Have blood taken. Physio comes does some more exercises. Helps me to toilet using frame. Feeling a bit hopeless having to ask for help. Staff are all so lovely nothing is too much trouble for them. Still feeling sick seemed like ages before I am given anti sickness injection. Start to feel a bit better, have a walk to the toilet, have some tea feeling a bit better. Knee and leg extremely swollen and very painful. Physio comes and does some more exercises,tells me she wonít have a job when she qualifies in May, flextion in knee 5 flat and 75 bent thatís pretty good. Moving better on frame, hopefully on sticks tomorrow. Start to feel very light headed and start being very sick. Awake most of the night with sickness Feel terrible. Leg feels really hot. My iron levels are low will need to go back on iron tablets.

Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK
Apr 05.Fell. Damage to RK cartilage & ligaments. OA diagnosed.
Dec 05.RK arthro.No cartilage bone shaved.TKR required told too young.
June 06.LK arthro.Tear in cartilage, trimmed & bone shaved. TKR required.
July 06.Consultant agreed to TKR
Jan 07.Will get a new knee!

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »
Day 4. Still feeling awful being sick nothing there though as I have not eaten. Physio looked in too sick to do any exercises. Dressing changed given 2 more injections feeling awful. Go to toilet thought I was going to faint, go back to bed and sleep. Feeling better this afternoon , leg feeling hot. They are going to take me off the codine and tramadol it could be these that are making me so sick. Feeling very hot, terrible pain from knee and from stomach when I cough, dry mouth. All this may be down to the drugs I have been given. Start to get the shakes again. Give me anti-clotting injection and anti-sickness injection. Pain is becoming unbearable. Feel close to tears. Give me injection not morphine they are going to try something else whatever it was have a brilliant nights sleep, slept for  almost 6 hours bloody wonderful.

Day 5.Woke up felt much better. Had some toast, very dry mouth, canít find any drink that seems to quench my thirst. Had a shower sitting in chair and nurse washes my hair, feeling loads better. Walk on frame. Knee very stiff must work on this really want this to work, do some more exercises. Feeling a bit shaky, the exercises really hurt, knee doesnít feel as stiff. Listen to some of the patients they donít half moan the nurses are so fantastic they are so kind and patient. Nurses always asking had your bowels open today! Nurse has a chat to me they will try and sort out some different painkillers and sort out the sickness. Wanted to give me suppositories before visiting asked if it could wait until later, would feel embarrassed if I had to rush to the toilet in the middle of visiting. Feel like I have turned the corner as long as the sickness doesnít come back. Some friends visit me this afternoon, really cheer me up I am crying with laughter. BP checked itís high and temperature is high.Nurse wanted to give me enema hope she was joking, settled on suppositories she will be back later, they seem to getting great pleasure from all this. More injections this afternoon, anti sickness, anti clotting and half dose of tramidol, iron tablet and something for the bowels! Nurse listens to my stomach with stethoscope she said its very quiet. just about to have suppositories put in when the Consultant came to see me asked how I was doing, I asked him what the knee was like said for someone my age it was totally knackered not sure how I was walking on it. He gave me a glance and said good luck he would leave the nurse to it. Well the suppositories werenít that bad, canít believe I am such a wimp, after having done what I have done. The suppositories finally worked seemed like ages not exactly earth moving hope it gets better. Spoke to a lady that was visiting another patient she had had a new knee about 18months ago said it was very hard at first but stick to the exercises and it will get better. She kicked her leg in the air and said she could run everywhere on it. Got to be positive. Had a nice chat to the lady who has had the new hip just a few years older than me, she is a lovely lady. Pain started to get bad in knee again gave me tramidol, went off to sleep, woke in middle of night totally disorientated, called for nurse, really bad pains in leg and leg very swollen. Doctor came examined leg, seems okay obviously checking for DVT. Couldnít get back off to sleep. Feeling very light headed.

Day 6. Consultant comes to see me has a look at leg bend must try and push it otherwise scar tissue will form. and get it to go straight, I know I say to him and I will work at it. Said he is a bit concerned over swelling will arrange for an ultrasound this afternoon.  Leg feels very hot and foot feels cold.  Nurse changes dressing wound is oozing from a couple of places, she gets another nurse to have a look, just to be on the safe side she says they will do a swab and send it off to the lab.  I ask do you think it is an infection, they are doing it just a precaution she assures me. They bring me an ice pack. Physio comes to see me and gives me some crutches feel a bit shaky it will be okay with a bit of practice. Ask if I can go home today, not today, maybe tomorrow they will see I have to get knee at 90 flection. Occupational therapy goes through a few things will come back tomorrow, to see what help I need at home and will need to do an assessment with me in the kitchen.  Had ultrasound scan on leg it was very uncomfortable as Doctor had to press on vein in my knee front and back and it is very bruised. He said looks okay hard to tell at bottom of leg as there is a lot of fluid and swelling. Feel at bit relieved thatís okay. Had to tell porter on the way back to slow down as he seemed to go over every bump in the wheelchair, and it was making my leg sore. New youngest lady in bed next to me was having some lesions looked at in her shoulder a side effect from diabetes, her son and her had flu about 10 years ago and the virus had effected their pancreases and left them both insulin dependant diabetic, I would hate that. Physio came to see me again did some more exercises showed me to loop towel round my feet and pull leg towards me as far as it could go. Flection still at 70 said it was probably the swelling at the back of my leg preventing me from getting to 90. Had some more ice on knee to try and reduce swelling. Hope I can go home tomorrow disappointed it wasnít today.  Usual round of injections and will try different drugs tonight, Paracetomol and half dose of codine at 10.30pm. Couldnít sleep leg red hot and knee pain 1-3 (3+). Had a few cat naps and had a terrible nightmare , a horrible man was trying to take my tonsils out through my nose I was trying to fight him off it felt so real he looked like Bill Nighty from Pirates of the Caribbean. I sure all the staff were aware of him being there and couldnít understand why they werenít trying to get him away. I was trying to scream out but nothing was happening. I woke up with such a jolt and cried out. It was all a bad dream. The nurse came and gave me another codine, and I drifted off again, woke up again had another scary nightmare about jellyfish. Nurse gave me another couple of paracetomol, cat napped rest of night got up and missed the toilet managed to wipe the floor, just so tired. Leg very hot and swollen excruciating pain in inner thigh when trying to bend leg.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 12:43:19 PM »
 Day 7. Woke up felt quite hungry. Didnít feel so hungry when I got breakfast. Had a shower, washed hair felt much better. Temperature a bit high, that needs to come down if I am to go out today. Occupational therapist comes to see me will do assessment this morning. I ask her when do you think I can go back to work, she said well you canít drive for 6-8 weeks, but you will know when you are ready but donít rush it. Itís better to go back fully fit and if itís possible to go back part time at first, try that just ease yourself back, it is major surgery you have had. .Porter comes to collect me to take me to Occupational therapy unit. Greeted  by Janice (OT)she is so lovely. Asks me to make a drink it will be the best one you have had since you have been in hospital, start to feel very shaky and faint. Tells me to sit down and gets me a glass of water. Imagine my kitchen at home she says where are you going to drink the coffee, the kitchen table I said, how are you going to carry it to the table I donít know start to feel very hot and sweaty and start to cry. Asked me if I want to be left on my own or do I want a hug. I ask for the hug and start to have a really good cry. She said this is a normal reaction, canít believe I feel so hopeless and said to her I canít believe I was asking when can I go back to work and I get into a state about making a cup of coffee, I feel pathetic, its all it the healing process, donít expect too much too soon. She is lovely knows exactly the right words to say to you. Feeling more composed now sort out all the gadgets I will require, all the toilet facilities, everything you can think of to make life easier. They are brilliant. Got back to ward Physio came still not happy with flection still only at 70, try more ice she says it itís the swelling that stopping me from getting it to 90.Husband collects stuff from occupational therapy.  Nurse changes dressing, bit sore. Physio does some more exercises with me still only 70 pull leg with towel trick determined to come out today. Pain quite good now. Have to go and walk up and down stairs on crutches with the physios bit shaky at first just got to remember which leg goes first. Good leg up to heaven bad leg to hell. Go back to ward, few more exercises Physio measures leg guess what she says its at 90. Feel like leaping off the bed thank goodness I can go home. Physio gives me appointment card for week time with the Physioís knee group at the hospital. Nurse goes through all the stuff I need to know staples out in 14 days, make an appointment with practice nurse and gives me stapler remover it looks like some instrument of torture, and letter for GP and practice nurse, Doctor gives me sick note for work 6 weeks off to start. Waiting now for my drugs from the pharmacy. Still here when the nurse comes round with the drugs given some painkillers and anti-clotting injection before I go. Drugs arrive Iím going home. Thank all the nurses for everything and leave them with a card and some chocolates they have been wonderful. Get home about 7pm Its brilliant to be home. Bit shaky on crutches. My friend comes around. I get a bit tearful. Okay after a bit just glad to be home.  Go to bed have some painkillers feel a bit sick wished I had taken the anti-sickness drug.  Feel a bit light headed , thought I was going to be sick, husband brings me a bucket, sickness passes.
Day 8.
Woke up sleep slightly better than I did in hospital. Donít know why but I just lay in bed and just started to have a good cry. Husband comes up and said the toilet not flushing properly looked down manhole its all blocked he rings the plumber.  Husband seems in a bad mood I think its all getting to him now. My sister rings my Mom has been taken into hospital, fear the worst as she is 92, seems like ages since I last saw her start to cry more. Think back to the last afternoon we spent together and think we had a nice time try not to feel too guilty I couldnít have seen her I was in hospital. My friend rings and more tears I feel overwhelmed by it all. My sister in law and friend visit , bit tearful again. They cheer me up feeling a bit better again. Plumber arrives unblocks drains. Phoned work in afternoon, nice to hear everyone is missing me, very busy, hurry back to work at least I know I am still wanted.  Do some more exercises leg very swollen still but I can put my full weight on it. Getting pins and needles in toes, I remember what they said at hospital said it is swelling on the nerve endings. Wound itches, its still very painful, try and keep moving. Put ice pack on it still very swollen, yellow bruising from toes right up to top of thigh, front and back. Inner thigh purple bruising. Black bruising on side of foot and on knee. Will take anti-sickness , paracetomol and codine tonight. Feeling very tired. Sorted out sicknote to post to work, husband dropped letters into GP practice made appointment with practice nurse to get staples taken out, next week. Some friends call he is a carpenter going to have a look for a hard piece of board I can use for exercises. My eldest son rings he is on annual leave next week that will be good he can run me to the hospital and the GPís. Did a few more exercises, used the ice pack it works wonders. My neighbour calls round she fell and broke her hip at 40 had 10 years of pain and hell and had her hip replaced at 50 she knows what I am going through. My sister rang my Mom is a bit better. Rang our friends he isnít very well he has leukaemia I donít think his wife is coping very well , hope I gave her some words of encouragement. Took some anti-sickness and strong painkillers had good 5hours sleep.

Day 9. Woke up and took some more painkillers. Leg doesnít feel as hard. Husband gives me cuddle said he could hear me calling out in my sleep during the night. Said he thinks I came out too early, said I donít think so I feel much better at home. I think he has found it a bit overwhelming , not doing all the domestics , because he has always done loads in the house, itís the longest we have been apart and sorting out all the things I normally do, he said he certainly doesnít want to be a single parent. Had breakfast and snoozed a bit, my friend rang chatted for about an hour. Sister rang my Mom is a bit better. Feel exhausted, did exercises had a walk on crutches. My deputy rings from work sorry for calling but he needed to find something fortunately I had completed it before I finished work he sounds very relieved., he sounds very stressed, said he hopes I didnít mind him calling, glad he did it means they canít do with out me, he said they canít that makes me feel good. Told me the project I had worked on just before I went into hospital had gone very well feel pleased about that. Showered and changed dressing my youngest son was home from school had a look at knee without dressing he said he felt sick. What a wimp, my sisterís boys canít wait to see it. Cyberwoman they are calling me. Feeling much better this afternoon, need to catch up on my sleep, I think I underestimated it is major surgery and your body needs to recover plus a week of very little sleep.  Got to do more exercises stop any scar tissue forming , leg throbbing at moment , changed dressing. Got to make sure I donít take too many painkillers must keep record of what I am taking. Pain  getting really bad still got 8hours to go and only one more dose of painkillers to take.Wound feels hot put ice pack on ,pain 3+ I phone my friend who is a pharmacist, take one of my anti-inflammatory  tablets should see me through until I can take strong painkillers. Take strong painkillers slighty better night sleep woke a few times stiffness and pain on movement, sweating a lot.

Day 10. Woke early took painkillers. My boss rang me to see how I was doing.Had shower more exercise pain and movement quite good , feeling more like my old self , hope this lasts. Flection good Iím sure its over 90 now, inside of thigh still a bit tight. Pain okay level 1, took some more painkillers. Got to be a bit careful slightly twisted knee very painful,, dull ache, pain in shin took strong painkillers woke a few times during night. Knee very stiff better when I have moved it.

Day 11. Woke couple of times in night, with stiffness in knee better when I have moved it. Woke around 7am leg aching, more painkillers, pain starts to ease. Some flowers are delivered my husband pretends he has brought them, have a bit of a laugh. They are from my work colleges thatís lovely. Before having a shower a good tip wrap leg in plastic bag it keeps the dressing dry it works a treat. Spent rest of day resting and exercising feel I have very good flection.

Day 12. Go to bed with strong painkillers woke about 3.40am leg feels hot and stiff. Went back to sleep woke at 7.30am took more painkillers leg very stiff. Had another couple of hours sleep, showered and exercised leg much better when I keep moving. Had lots of visitors in morning feeling quite good. Decide to go out in afternoon, short run in car to see some friends. Popped in to see friend who has just had major heart surgery he looks a bit frail but like me glad to be home. Call in to see our other friends she has made a cake we stay for tea and homemade cake. Have a nice chat and a laugh. Decide its time to go leg starts to get a bit painful and starts to swell. Get home keep the leg raised and put ice pack on it, pain gets a bit easier. Take usual painkillers not a very good nights sleep, awake every couple of hours, leg feels better after I have moved it a few times.

Day 13. Husband goes back to work today, eldest son at home. Not feeling too bad exercising really well, the stiffness certainly gets better on movement. Manage to put a couple of loads of washing in the machine. Feeling quite good. Change dressing it is very bruised and a lot of dried blood around staples.

Day14. Just woke up once in night sweating loads I wonder if its one of the painkillers doing this. Knee pain not too bad will need to change dressing its bleeding a bit. I have Physio this afternoon will post later to let you know how I get on. Feeling quite good.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
Hi Katie!

Glad to see you back home.

You are absolutely spot on - IT IS MAJOR SURGERY - it doesn't really sink in until after, and a very emotional time for us and our families - but the good thing is that in a couple of weeks you will have forgotten all of that post op (and pre op )pain. suddenly you will be going out for walks - you are right - the swelling does go down if you keep the leg moving. Seems like you had a terrible time with the sickness and room spinning - I had that with the codeine based stuff - yet tramadol was great.

I wotre down for the first few weeks the times for meds - partly so I didn't take too many but more so they didn't suddenly leave me in big pain playing catch up.

Hope physio goes well today, and hope your mum is on the road to recovery again.

hugs
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »
Day14 pm. Go to Physio start doing exercises, dressing starts oozing with blood.Pyhsio not very happy suggests I go down to A&E to have it looked at, she phones 2hour wait. She then suggests I go up to the ward to see if one of the nurses has a look at. Nice to see some familiarfaces again ask me too wait in the office. One of the nurses comes back really sorry but they are not allowed to look at ot once you have been discharged from the ward. If they do they will have to send the bill to my GP who won't be very impressed. I need to see my GP's practice nurse. Gol back to Physio, explain what they said ask her to go through a couple more exercises, tell me I am doing well. Blood now running down my leg and soaking through trousers. Physio makes appointment for two weeks time. Telephone GP surgery not open until 3pm. Call in on way home, explain everything, receptionist tells me I'm not having much luck no practice nurse on duty. Can't face the 2hour wait  at the hospital A&E so decide to buy some dressings and do it myself. Didn't think until after I did see one of the practice Doctors there can't understand why she never suggested the Doctor to have a look at it.  Got home blood running down my leg, put a pad on it hope it stops bleeding. I am due to have the staples out tomorrow with the practice nurse. I have really praised the NHS until today, all those Nurses at the hospital and no one can have a quick look at it, can't quite believe can you!
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
Hi Katie

Absolutely crazy - why do they need to send a bill - surely they could have just looked and said whether you needed to actually see a doctor grrrrrr bunch of jobsworths!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »
Katie

Your diary is brings back so many memories.  I am two months today post TKR.  Every day you will see you will be stronger and stronger and stronger.
 I hope you get that bleeding knee sorted out.  Make sure you are on top of your OS.  You do not want an infection in your wound.   Perhaps you can page him and see if you can get a same day appointment.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »
ROFL page the OS - same day appointment? - Annie this is England - sadly it just don't happen that way! and what's this about being on top of the OS? ;D :o

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »
 :)  Oh yeah... I keep forgetting I am in wonderland.   I called my OS office yesterday and got a same week appointment.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »
wish we could get that sort of service

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
Day 15. I have an phone call in the morning,the practice nurse is off sick can they rearrange the appointment for the staple removal for the next day. I explain what has happened and said I really need someone to look at the wound. I finally get to see my GP 5.30pm. She doesn't like the look of it, she feels the lower end of wound might just burst open if she removes the staples, she rings the hospital and talks the oncall orthopaedic Doctor. They will see me first thing tomorrow. She takes a swap and starts me on antibiotics just to be on the safe side.
Day 16. Just got back from the hospital, my son took me it was a bit scary we have had heavy snow overnight and the roads were quite slippery. Quite impressed they were expecting me.Consultant has a look he doesn't think there is an infection, I can have the staples removed. They will get the swab checked and finish the antibiotics but he thinks the wound looks okay.He wants to see me in 4 weeks time. Glad the staples have come out they were beginning to pull. Back to the exercises now.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
Katie:

I'm glad you are writing your journal. I think it's therapeutic just to write what you are going through. And it is a great tool for you to look back a week or two weeks and see where you were. I've been keeping a journal at home, and it has really helped me. When I feel like I'm not improving, I look back and see how far I've come.

I'm glad you got your staples out and they don't think it's an infection. Better safe than sorry with the antibiotics.  And your knee should feel less tight when the staples gone.

You're going through the roughest times now. It does get better....slowly, slowly better. I've had a lot of knee surgeries, some of them quite big, but wasn't as prepared for my TKR as I thought! I've had some post-op problems, but am now progressing fine. It's been almost three months for me, and I know I've turned the corner. You'll get there too. Hang in and keep your chin up. You'll have tears and laughter, and before you know it, you'll feel more like your normal self every day.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 11:26:34 PM »
I think at the two month mark you start to feel human again.   Hurts to sit and drive long in the car.   Quick braking hurts me.  Driving for too long makes me stiff.   Sitting too long hurts as well.

Just keep reminding those other health care people.  Any doubt of infection you want antibodics.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »
Hi Katie - how is it going without those staples - should be more comfortable.

Have a good weekend,

anj

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »
Day 17. Got up as normal , knee still quite painful and hot. Did a few exercises. Rested for a while I decide to take a shower. wound is still weeping a bit, it does feel uncomfortable. I decide to have a shower. As I was drying myself the part that was oozing suddenly started to spray blood. I can only describe it as when a hose pipe has sprung a leak.There was blood everywhere all over the bathroom floor. I grabbbed tissue and called my younger son. I tried to ring my husband no signal as he had gone straight from work to do the grocery shoppng. I was in a real panic,our GP practice wasn't open until 3pm, it was about 2.15pm. The only thing I could think about doing was to call 999 and ask for an ambulance.My son looked very pale he said he thought he was going to be sick as the bathroom now resembled a scene from a horror movie( I am not understating this either). I told him he couldn't as I need him to help me. He helped me dress I raised my leg and applied more pressure as I thought it was blood I was loosing. The ambulance people came, I was a bit worried I had called them but they reassured me I had done the right thing. They put a large dressing on the wound and took me to A&E.  I was seen by one of my consultants team and the oncall orthopaedic consultant. It turned out to be a haematoma.They pressed it a bit more and it sprayed everywhere. They dressed it and told me to come back if it didn't stop.I went home I had to change the dressing after a couple of hours, the discharge finally stopped a day later.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

support