Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR Diary  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR Diary
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:28:12 PM »
Glad I found this website answered a lot of questions I had forgotten to ask. Been and had my pre-op. I have had a lot going on over the last few weeks, last week had to go in for gynaecological surgery that my other consultant wanted sorted before my knee replacement.  Feel at the moment all I seem to be doing is the round of hospital appointments. All being well I go in on the 23rd January and surgery on the 24th January. Not sure at the moment how I feel, surprisingly not scared, relieved to be having the worse knee done and hopefully start to have a normal life again. Itís strange after mentally preparing myself to living life with pain and disability at least until I was 55, it came as a bit of a shock when the consultant agreed to do the replacement. I was so shocked I couldnít agree to it straight away, I donít know why, he told me to go away and think about it and let him know. Both knees want doing I'm going to have the worse one done first. On reflection donít even know why I even had to think about it within the week I had decided I want to live my life now, who knows what is around the corner. My 12 year old son summed it up and said when I told him they would give me a new knee he said that would be great I would be able to walk normally again and play sports together like we use to. I had probably not realised it wasnít just for me but this would have an impact on the whole family.  I will worry about any revision at a later date. Life is for living now!
Katie
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK
Apr 05.Fell. Damage to RK cartilage & ligaments. OA diagnosed.
Dec 05.RK arthro.No cartilage bone shaved.TKR required told too young.
June 06.LK arthro.Tear in cartilage, trimmed & bone shaved. TKR required.
July 06.Consultant agreed to TKR
Jan 07.Will get a new knee!

knee deep in Goo

Re: TKR Diary
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »
Best of luck.

Please ask the OS about sports.  The kind you do and the kind you shouldnt do after surgery.

Best of luck.

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 08:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will ask.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
Katie, good luck with the TKR! You don't mention how old you are? I know that they tend to want to wait for the TKR, seeing it as a last resort, but to me it seems as though we go through so much
with all these surgeries! I wonder if what I really need for my R knee is a TKR? I am 48.

Knee Deep: What are the limitations in terms of exercise.. for the long term?

Thanks,
Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 11:34:01 AM »
I am 51. I know as I have said in my post the TKR was agreed to because I had said the condition was really effecting my life, having to plan if I needed just to walk a short distance. I know in the UK they like people to be around 60 before they will do a TKR. Hopefully after if I can just walk again without my knee going into a spasm and to have less pain will be a bonus. I know there will be lots of hard work involved to gain full benefit, but its been hard work living like this.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »
Hey Katie

Good Luck with your TKR - it really is lifechanging - I like you decided not to worry about a revision - Iwant to enjoy my life, pain free NOW - had my TKR at 43 (in the UK)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »
2 days to go. Finished work today. In a lot of pain as I have had to stop taking some of my medication, only allowed to take painkillers. Going into hospital tomorrow afternoon. Will update diary and let you know how I am getting on.
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
Katie:

Good luck to you! I'm sure you are doing the right thing. I am 49 and had my TKR in November. Even with some complications that set me back a bit, I can say I'm already glad I had it done. I'm still a long way from completely recovered, but I don't have the pain I had before the surgery. I had an injury seven years ago and had four surgeries during the first four years. As my OS said, I had already given my 40s to a bad knee, now I was gaining my 50s and we'll see what happens in my 60s. Of course I'll need a revision at some point, but I'm not going to worry about it now. I'm looking foward to taking a long walk when the weather gets warm!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »
I think you are doing pretty good for 2 days away..    Deep breaths..

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »
Hi Katie

Just wanted to wish you all the best for Wednesday - what time do you go in tomorrow?
I went in the night before and thought it would be awful not having my hubbie ther before I went down - but it was MUCH better - no extra emotions to deal with - was very calm!

Good Luck
Anja
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 09:16:03 PM »
Hi Katie,

Good luck on Wednesday!!  I, too, am having a TKR on Wednesday at 7:30 a.m.  I have to be at the hospital at 6:15 a.m.  We'll be able to compare notes.  I'm 54, and my OS told me I should have it done and live my life now.  I'll worry about revision later, hopefully much, much later.  All I've had are problems since I was injured 2 1/2 years ago.  I'm ready and not really very nervous.  I'm sure the nerves will kick up tomorrow night and Wednesday morning.  I'm still going to work tomorrow.  I'm not sure if I'm going to a rehab facility or not.  I don't have to decide until the night before discharge.

I'll keep you in my prayers.  Take care!

Donna T.
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

Offline Katie2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:09 PM »
This is the last post before I go in today. Got to ring hospital around 4.30pm to make sure there is a bed. Been out to lunch with my eldest son he has gone back to Nottingham where he is a Firefighter.Had a nice long soak in the bath, feel quite relaxed. My bag is packed just waiting now. Last week the pain wasn't so bad was beginning to think I could hold fire on replacement. Yesterday and today pain almost unbearable, know I am doing the right thing. Not nervous relieved at long last to be having it done.  Good luck Donna for tomorrow. Thanks Anja I have found your post op diary very useful.
Thanks for all your good wishes. 

Katie
Dec 04.Pain/stiffness LK

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »
Good Luck Katie

Look forward to seeing you the 'other side' with your post op reports!

Anja

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Thats pretty nice to check into the hospital the day before.   I had to show up an hour before my surgery was scheduled and wait three hours for that apendix person to get out of my operating room

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
The reason we check in the night before here is so no one can be in our bed! - but they will kick you out at the first opportunity - I was scheduled to go home on the Sat morning and got discharged Friday lunchtime as they needed the bed! - and the old ladies that had had their TKR the week before me were not about to give up their beds!

support