Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Look Like I'm Facing Surgery Again!  (Read 2197 times)

Offline lmorton

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Look Like I'm Facing Surgery Again!
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I had a patella fracture and repair in August, and pt did not go as well as it could have. I have a great deal of scar tissue, and so it was difficult getting past the pain to get my ROM back,and my hardware I am being told needs to be removed because it is poking me to the point that the area is red and so they are concerned that it might poke through?

So, I am being told I should have a second surgery to deal with the scar tissue and remove the hardware. I have to say the thought of surgery again is very scary, and I really did not want to do it. The first one was my first ever! My hope is that it will not be like the first one, and the recovery time and pain will be not quite as bad as the first. I was really hoping that I could just have the hardware removed and work through the scar tissue in pt. I do not know if that is possible at this point. My window of opportunity for that may have slammed shut on me. At least that is what I am being told.

Thank you for listening, take care,

Laura
Fractured Patella on August 2, 2006 had my surgery repair with pins and wire on August 23, 2006.  Slipped on water on the floor fell hard on the knee at the store.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Look Like I'm Facing Surgery Again!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Hi, scar tissue that has been in your knee since August will probably be too tough to break thru in PT. Your best bet is to have it surgically removed and then do gentle pt to try to keep it from reforming. Maybe when you get your hardware removed, the inflammation will stop and you wont have any new growth of scar tissue. I sure hope so , for your sake.
keep us posted, good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lmorton

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »

Hi Missy,

Thank you, I have to face the enevitable and move forward I realize, it is just scary when I think about it. Unfortunately I have alot of time to think.... LOL

Thanks again, hope you are doing well.

Laura
Fractured Patella on August 2, 2006 had my surgery repair with pins and wire on August 23, 2006.  Slipped on water on the floor fell hard on the knee at the store.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »
Laura, every surgery is scary, no matter if it is your first or your 11th (which is what I am facing but not all of them have been on my knee). The first 2 were c sections and they were totally different. The next 7 were orthopedic and I was more frightened with those than with the c sections and hysterectomy.  I have never had hardware removal so I cannot say how that one is painwise but in my experience , scar tissue removal is rather uncomfortable. Just remember to take your meds as ordered, stay ahead of the pain, dont chase it.
wishing you luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lmorton

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:48:03 PM »

Thanks Missy, I am so sorry to hear you have had that many surgeries . I cannot even imagine..  My prayers are with you. I have had two children, and yes, you are right it is very different experience.  I just have to do what I have to do to be able to function as normal as possible. Maybe there is someone who is a patellaite that has had their hardware removed that could tell me what heir experience was and the recovery. I expect there to be some discomfort afterwards, and I will stay on top of the pain. I did that with the first surgery and it does help. I remember sleeping alot! lol. I will also ask for the cyro cuff I think it is called.  That really helped the last time. 

Thank you again for your encouragement and honesty.

Laura

Offline lmorton

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Looks like my surgery is set for Febuary 21, I am doing ok so far, I am sure as the day gets closer I will be more nervous. I am going to have my hardware removed and a MUA.  I am wondering about recovery time for this surgery, I am assuming it will be not as severe or as long as my original surgery for my fracture repair.  However, with the MUA I am not sure?  I would really like to get back to work again.  I also have a wedding to go to on the 24th, I am not optimistic about going at this point.  Prayers and good thought would be appreciated. I know I am not the only one going through this,which is comforting . take care,

Laura

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 02:56:54 AM »
Laura,
Ive never had hardware removed, but ive had several surgeries.  I can say from experience each time they go through the same incision the pain is less. My doctor explained to me that there is less trauma to the area when they go thru old scar tissue than if u have to cut a "new muscle area".   As for my scar tissue, my therapist does a 5 minute massage eash therapy session, now as relaxing as this sounds... its very uncomfortable but i believe it works, atleast for me.  Ive had 6 surgeries between my 2 knees (so far) and each time with same therapist and massage no problems with scar tissue yet (knock on wood).
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

Offline lmorton

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:30:07 PM »

Hi,

I agree, that the hardware removal hopefully will not be a problem as far as recovery. I was more concerned about the MUA, as I have not had one before, and have heard good and bad experiences with them.  Wow, six surgeries, I cannot even imagine...  I thought two was bad enough. I hope you do not have to have many more. Thank you for your reply and continued success with your progress.  You are very lucky to not have to deal with scar tissue, it can be incidious stuff....

Take care,

Laura