Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Orthotics/Arch Supports for Patellofemoral  (Read 4318 times)

Offline comeonaussie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Orthotics/Arch Supports for Patellofemoral
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:47:15 PM »
Hey KneeGeeks

Anybody out there with a patellofemoral injury have to get orthotics or arch supports to help relieve weaknessand/or pain?   I'm having a hard time with off the shelf arch supports  ie.  Spenco, Dr. Scholls.

How much were your orthotics?

How many visits to the foot doc to sort out fit? 

Did the podiatrist charge you for additional visits to sort out the orthotics?

Did your orthotics have a warranty?   If so, how long?

Did you ever start off with orthotics/arch supports then eventually ween yourself off 'em?   

Thank you all:)

Offline Bulldog

• Forum Faithful
Re: Orthotics/Arch Supports for Patellofemoral
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »
Anybody out there with a patellofemoral injury have to get orthotics or arch supports to help relieve weaknessand/or pain?   I'm having a hard time with off the shelf arch supports  ie.  Spenco, Dr. Scholls.
Yes, to reduce pain on my medial side after ACL/meniscal repair, followed by 2nd meniscal repair, then meniscal transplant.  I have off the shelf and they added a wedge.

Mine were about $50.  They were'nt the real custom made kind.

Just 1 visit to a company to get them and be fitted.

I did not go to the podiatrist.

No warrantly.  I have had them a year, and I believe they are just fine.

Did you ever start off with orthotics/arch supports then eventually ween yourself off 'em?   
I have not been able to wean myself off of them, but it has only been 4 months since my last surgery.  They have made a tremendous difference!!
9/24/05 surgery ACL & Posterior horn
1/24/06 surgery, 3rd degree tear medial posterior horn meniscus
9/12/06 Meniscal transplant

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:50:30 PM »
I'm about to get my fourth pair, actually. My feet pronate, which contributes to the malignment of my legs/knees, so the orthotics were/are intended to help with that. My orthotics have always been custom made and have cost, from what I remember, somewhere between $100 and $300. The last time I was lucky in that our insurance covered all of it, less a $30 copay. This time (I have to get new ones made once we get insurance issues settled) I doubt I will be so lucky. I've never been to an actual podiatrist, but it was usually one visit to get fitted, then one to pick them up a few weeks later. Like I said, I'm going on my fourth pair, so I've never weaned off of them or anything.

Good luck with them!

Erin
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Bulldog

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:24:24 AM »
Ugh!  The custom ones are expensive.  Mine are just to take some of the pressure of the medial side of my knee.  I was told insurance rarely paid for the inserts, but my situation is different.
Good luck!
9/24/05 surgery ACL & Posterior horn
1/24/06 surgery, 3rd degree tear medial posterior horn meniscus
9/12/06 Meniscal transplant

Offline OSuzanne

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:14:38 AM »
If you have insurance coverage for Physical Therapy you might consider finding a PT who specializes in Orthotics/Biomechanics.  I get a new pair every two years.  The PT assesses my gait, determines my foot structure, my pain patterns and then casts my feet for custom orthotic inserts.  I have a copay for the initial eval and then my insurance will pay for most of the orthotics charge.  I like having a PT do it since they take an hour to evaluate your feet, knees, hips etc, listen to your pain complaints and help choose the style of insert based on your activity level.  I wear them every day and they are worth every single penny!

Hope this gives you another option to think about!
Suzanne
Left knee: Lateral release, Medial meniscus repair & cyst removal - 03/05
Left knee: Medial meniscectomy - 12/06
Right knee: Lateral release, lateral meniscectomy, chondroplasty - 01/07
Right knee: ITBS - 07/07

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »
Hey KneeGeeks

Thank you all:)

I've had knee pain myself for years. 18 months ago my physio established that I have over pronation & that could be a contributary factor to the knee pain. I've been wearing orthotic insoles in my shoes now for 18 months. For me personally I can't say that they made any difference!! Now in answer to your questions...

I had one visit to the orthotics dept to be measured for my insoles intially. I had a cheap pair first, to see if they worked & these were free as I'm British & we have the NHS. After 4 months with these I had another visit during which I was measured again & had proper rigid insoles made. I now go back to the orthotics dept every 6 months to be measured & recieve a new pair. I've had them now for a total of 18 months & feel no need to wean myself off them as I'm more than used to wearing them. In fact wearing shoes without my arch supports feels terribly strange!!

Don't panic though, obviously everyones case is different :)

Hope this is of some help?!
Athroscopy & right knee lateral release - Jan '07

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »
I have had a variety of orthodics for my pronation.  My first set were Viscopeds (off the shelf) $80 US.  They didn't help much so we moved on to custom orthodics.  The PT is a well known PT (helped with the training of one of our Olympic teams... repeatedly) and he took casts and had them made for me.  I wore them less than 2 hours and I called him to tell him I thought there might be a problem... i took them back... he checked them and took them from me (never gave them backand probably destroyed the evidence).  I returned to the OS and was DXed with bilateral Baker's Cysts that were then surgically aspirated.  The cost of that set was $500 for the orthodics and $4500 for the surgery.  Then I got a pair of over the counter ones that were basically heel lifts with a bit of support for the arch ($15) and they worked great.
i have had my TTTs revised since then and I no longer require the orthodics.
jennifer
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline Deadinmi

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:32:20 PM »
Anyone ever try Superfeet? I work at a store that sells them and got a free pair. They seem to cut down with some of the knee pain, especially since it's retail and I'm on my feet all day. It's superfeet.com I think. They only run about $35 each and come in a ton of sizes, or you can get the custom ones for under $100.. It's worth a try before you go after the more expensive ones.
-Fran

I've come to the conclusion that listing my laundry list of things that happened to my knee isn't what people here need. What we all need is a nice lounge chair on a beach, some Jimmy Buffet, and some fruity drinks... So we can all work on our brace tans. 8)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
I'm on my second pair of orthotics.  I love the ones that i have now and haven't really had much trouble with them!

How much were your orthotics?  My first pair were from my PTs place and they weren't really custom, just basically put in an oven for a few minutes and step into them.  I think those were only like $20 US.  The pair that I have now were approxmitly $400 US.

How many visits to the foot doc to sort out fit?  I never visited the podiatrist to get them.  My OS referred me to the orthotist on staff and he made them for me.  So I just had the molds taken of both of my feet and they were mailed to me within days.  

Did the podiatrist charge you for additional visits to sort out the orthotics?  My orthotist never did charge for the visit.  If I had a problem or my OS wanted them built up in areas, he did it for me and I was back on way...never got a bill.

Did your orthotics have a warranty?   If so, how long?  I'm not entirely sure about the warranty.  He just told me that if I had problems with it, just bring it in, even if it's in two pieces and he'll fix it.

Did you ever start off with orthotics/arch supports then eventually ween yourself off 'em?  I've never stopped using them actually.  Well, I try to behave, but there are times that I don't wear them because I"m wearing flip flops or sandals.  But I haven't entirely stopped using them no, I really don't find the need to.

Best of luck!!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 02:54:17 PM »
I was fitted for orthodics by my PT, about 3 years ago. My insurance covered 50%, and the total cost was $180, so I had to pay $90. When I switched PT's, my new one didn't like how my orthodics affected
my gait/stance, so he made some temporary adjustments to them, which I made permanent at an orthodics store. That cost me another $60. Since my knee pain really has not improved, I dont' think they were worth the time or the money.
I have considered taking them out of my sneakers... but haven't had the courage yet!

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »
After my TKR and while I had been in the SNF a foot guy came in.  He asked me if I had been wearing arch supports.  I told him I had Spenco's , Dr Scholl's,  Some TV brand that you can remove the arch for high low and medium. 

During the summer the only shoes I had worn had been Ryka sneakers and birkenstocks.  I have a pair of clogs and sandal style.  Oh boy did this doctors eyes light up when I mentioned that.  Said one of the best pairs of shoes for arches.

My gripe about them they are very very very very very ugly.   So the other day I found that birkenstock makes an arch support that you can stick into shoes. I am very tempted to order these.

www.qvc.com

Item Number A68266
Birkenstock Perforated Leather Arch Support w/ Deep Heel Cups

QVC Price $59.50
Shipping and Handling $4.97

Offline comeonaussie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
Superfeet carries up to size 17!    I'm a 14.    I'll give 'em a go. 

Cheers mate