Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP!!! OS does not know what to do, any sugesstions??  (Read 7423 times)

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
HELP!!! OS does not know what to do, any sugesstions??
« on: January 11, 2007, 03:07:31 AM »
I went to the OS on monday and he said he really does not know what to do with my left knee. I hyperextend it and the pain is on the inside towards the knee cap. I have and MRI last March, I think my OS want to do another one but has to wait untill march bc it will be a year then.. I am still in PT but it seems to help a little bit. Last week in PT the stared using the Graston Tools, which i might add they are not my favorite thing. But I do not know if I should get another opinion or not... I already have gone to see 2 other OS's one says that my quad is week and I will grow out of it, but I really do not see that because I am 23 and how much more growing do you think I am going to do. the other OS thinks that my knee cap tracks wrong, which where I am at PT right now they think the same thing so I have 3 different opinons and do not know what to do. Any help will be appreciated. sorry for such a long post.

please help
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:04:55 AM by margaret1983 »
"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Hop skip n jump

Re: HELP!!! OS does not know what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »
Hi Margaret

I can understand your frustrations, all you want is a course of action that will help! To say that you will grow out of it is a daft thing to say at your age! Do you think he meant it would improve if you strengthen the muscle perhaps?

How is PT progressing? I don't know what Graston tools are.

I believe it's important to trust your OS, but trust has to be eared. In my opinion, get another opinion! Where are you? Perhaps someone on here could recommend an OS in your area.

Good luck.

Hop ;D

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »
hi Hop skip n jump,

Pt is going Ok, i think it is helping a little. Graston Tools are used to break down scar tissue.

I am in buffalo, ny usa. and yes we finally have snow, which i do not like.

thanks again Hop

;)

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:08:20 PM »
I went to the OS on monday and he said he really does not know what to do with my left knee.

This is the cue to find another OS and get a second, third and/or fourth opinion if neccessary.  Good luck
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »
Kai,

Actually that is what i was thinking about doing.... does any one of a good sports medicine/ OS in the buffalo, new york area???

thanks

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:50:39 AM »
Hi Margaret

Sorry I haven't been about for a while, try creating a new post with the heading title as your question, I think you'll get a response if you try it that way.

Good luck to you darlin' and don't give up, there's an answer and a way forward for you out there you just gotta find it.

Hop  ;D

PS Send your snow this way, we get it so seldom, I love it!

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:12:59 PM »
I went to the OS on monday and he said he really does not know what to do with my left knee. I hyperextend it and the pain is on the inside towards the knee cap. I have and MRI last March, I think my OS want to do another one but has to wait untill march bc it will be a year then.. I am still in PT but it seems to help a little bit. Last week in PT the stared using the Graston Tools, which i might add they are not my favorite thing. But I do not know if I should get another opinion or not... I already have gone to see 2 other OS's one says that my quad is week and I will grow out of it, but I really do not see that because I am 23 and how much more growing do you think I am going to do. the other OS thinks that my knee cap tracks wrong, which where I am at PT right now they think the same thing so I have 3 different opinons and do not know what to do. Any help will be appreciated. sorry for such a long post.

please help

Hi Margaret,

I know exactly how you feel. I have had knee pain in both knees for over ten years now & over the years have had extensive physio & seen over 5 different OS & been given many different opinions. I was told I would grow out of it, told my feet were flat & also told to just sit in a different way to prevent the pain. I didn't give up & sought many opinions as I was convinced that I was not exaggerating. I am only 23 myself, & eventually saw an OS who has been amazing. I stressed that the pain was increasing & he agreed to perform an arthroscopy & lateral release. I had the surgery on Wednesday (17th January) & all I can say is that its early days for me as it takes a while for any improvement to be seen. However, don't give up, keep on, especially if you're in pain. There is something that can be done, regardless of what certain OS will say to you, I'm proof that not giving up will eventually lead to some result!

Good luck

Nat
Athroscopy & right knee lateral release - Jan '07

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »

please help
I cannot understand why your OS doesn't know what to do. I overextended my knee also and one thing that can cause this is torn cartlidge. Have you had an arthroscopy done. You could have torn something. Have they done an MRI.

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: HELP!!! OS does not know what to do, any sugesstions??
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 03:02:25 AM »
Hop - thanks i will do that.. and i will be glad to send you some snow!! where do you live?

n_mcard;e - i know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but i think this is a really long tunnel. i also have flat feet, now i have custom mede orthotics, they seem to help very and my i emphise very little.

luckygrandma - i have had an arthoscopy done to remove my medial plica. that is what i am thinking everytime i hyperextned it, that i may have torn cartlidge. they did and mri bc one of the os i got a second opinon from thought there may have been a minscus tear, but that was negative.

hope everyone is having a good day.

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »

n_mcard;e - i know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but i think this is a really long tunnel. i also have flat feet, now i have custom mede orthotics, they seem to help very and my i emphise very little.

To be honest the insoles haven't helped me in the slightest either! I know it probably sounds very patronising, but I really urge you to gain yet another opinion & then push for surgery, an arthroscopy at the least so that they can have a proper look inside your joint

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 03:59:07 AM »
that is what i am going to do. i called the OS to schedule my appt earlier than i was suppose to

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
that is what i am going to do. i called the OS to schedule my appt earlier than i was suppose to

Well good luck with the procedure & lets hope they are able to answer some of your questions :)

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
hopefully, if not go to someone else

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 11:40:10 PM »
I went to get another opinion today and he said that he if i wanted him to to do an arthoscope and see if there is scar tissue, or if my plica grew back. He also said that the muscle on the outside right by the knee cap is a little tight, so possably do a lateral realease, and my knee cap also maltracks so he thinks my kneecap is tilted a little, so he would look to see how it tracks with the arthoscope. He said think about it and he would like to see me in may. But I am thinking i am going to call tomorrow and see how long it takes to book, and how long i will be layed up. I was thinking I would do it over my spring break. does any one know how long it take to recover from a LR? thanks again for all your support.

Offline n_mcard;e

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
Margaret,

Sounds like good news then really, bet you're pleased someone is finally listening to you & willing to help?

I had an LR last Wednesday. I had no crutches at all & was walking from the day I came outta surgery. I also had no painkillers as in all honesty I had no pain, just lots of swelling & stiff ness. Its been now nearly a week & although I'm nowhere near recovered, I'm walking much better, my stitches are out & my bruising is all coming out. All in all my LR was relatively pain free!

However, if you read others stories on here you'll see how differently everyone responds to the treatment.

Good luck

nat