Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unusual Swellling of Knee.  (Read 1446 times)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Unusual Swellling of Knee.
« on: December 24, 2006, 12:13:34 PM »
Hello Everyone :),

On the 6th of December i had my pre patellar bursa removed because it had thickened right up and become a hard lump on the top of my patella that hurt when i knelt. Whilst, the procedure is quite basic and went really well, i still have a lot of knee swelling. Whilst this usually wouldn't bother me, the swelling that i have is like a water balloon half full of water that sits on top of my knee cap...This occurs especially when i kneel, which is next to impossible at the moment (not because of range of movement but because it's painful!). Has anyone had this problem before? Admittedly, it hasn't been that long but if i had swelling i would have expected it to be more generalised not in one spot like this. Bursa's apparently grow back after excision so maybe this could be it???

Hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas :)

Pip.
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
Re: Unusual Swellling of Knee.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:25:48 AM »
to be perfectly honest i have no idea about anything dealing with the bursa.... but i had swelling like a baseball on top of my kneecap after one of my surgeries so i might have some ideas

does the swelling go away or is it constant?

merry christmas to you too!!!

amanda

Offline kims22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • chondromaliciagirl
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:12:32 AM »
hi pip, I also had my prepatella bursa removed along with a chondroplasty on 11/10. I still have swelling and thought it should have gone away by now. I can't even bend my knee yet to kneel. How did they excise the bursa? I have a 2" horiz scar above the kneecap along with the arthroscopic scars, but I think the not bending is because of the chondroplasty. How is you knee feeling?

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 02:07:05 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I've been away or i would have answered earlier! I have just one vertical scar about 4-5cm down the front of my knee my surgeon did it that way because it's likely i'll need a replacement one day which will use the same scar... I didn't have anything else done during the procedure- just the removal.

My swelling is constant, and I'm yet to be able to kneel as well...i also feel like my knee is going to blow out when i go down stairs. I'm even finding when i roll over in the middle of the night my knee will wake me up if it brushes against my doona. I'm going overseas in three weeks so i went back to my GP yesterday because i thought i might need to do back to my surgeon. He reckons that what has happened is that my bursa has grown back and become infected already...either that or it has just filled up with fluid. He recommended bandaging it as the compression will help the swelling go away... I'm so not looking forward to ten hours on a plane!!

Have you guys done a similar thing to get rid of the swelling??

Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 04:18:00 AM »
when mine got all swollen after my surgery the doctor used a needle to drain it out. pain full but helped in the long run.
i would stongly recommend seeing your surgeon before you go.

amanda

Offline kims22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • chondromaliciagirl
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 06:16:57 AM »
it may just be filling up with fluid because you would probably have a fever and it would be red and warm if it was infected. I agree with amanda that you should definitely see the OS before you go...I don't have the balloon-like swelling at all, just overall swelling in the knee. What I have been doing is using a compression stocking to prevent my knee/leg/ankle from swelling. This may help in the interim, ask him about it ... seems to be working as you need to wear it all day. It runs from your toe to mid thigh and you need to be fitted for it at a health store or get it from your PT.

I also, cannot even think about putting weight on the knee to go downstairs, I just starting to go upstairs, with partial weight. i had patella tendinosis surgery and a chondroplasty of the right knee last year and it took almost a full year to recoop, so I know that any pain is not going to help get it better. Please don't push it. How much PT will you have?? by the way, what's a doona?  :)

Amanda, was the swelling just fluid?

Happy New Year, let's hope it's a good year for knees!

-kims22

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 04:09:32 AM »
Hello Everybody :)

Thanks for the replies! I've been using a compression stocking which has helped a fair bit. Something strange though...i was at work yesterday when i sat down...my knee started to hurt so i massaged the ball of fluid and it popped. I felt it drain inside my knee and now there is no bump! I was a bit concerned at first but it's given me pain relief so i guess now i'm pretty happy it popped.

Has anyone else had a fluid filled sac pop like that???

Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline kims22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • chondromaliciagirl
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:03:58 PM »
that sounded gross! :o Well, as long as it didn't hurt, did you tell your OS?

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 01:41:06 AM »
Hey Again, :)

Nah I haven't told my OS...it takes ages to get into him and i'm going away in a couple of weeks so i don't think i'd get into see him in time. I'll see him towards the end of Feb though if can. Hopefully my knee will be back to normal by then!!
Have you seen your OS about the swelling in your knee?? It sounds really painful...maybe try massaging your knee? That's what i did...sounds gross but it really helped hehe :)

Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Osgood Schlatters 1996,

Offline kims22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • chondromaliciagirl
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:45:09 AM »
sounds like my doc, you have to wait months, unless your already a patient, then it's two months  ;). i haven't seen him since 11/17, but I'll finally see him tomorrow. i want to know when I'll be able to put weight on it and when the crutchiness will go away. Hope it's just scar tissue. this recoop is worse than than my last surgery, maybe because of the bursa? I'll find out tomorrow...stay tuned... :P