Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: UPDATE ON MY NIGHTMARE  (Read 34623 times)

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: UPDATE ON MY NIGHTMARE
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »
HI

I hope the time passes fast  and you have a quick and fast recovery.
I tried that biofreeze after my TKR and I am glad I bought it after your high recommendation.

Regards
Annie
I'm glad you liked the Biofreeze. Did you  know this is also good for Bee Stings and Burns. Makes sense.

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46:02 PM »
Grandma,

WOW!!! You were and will be again one busy lady! It sounds as if you have a great family and I am happy to see that. My husband has been doing the bulk of things around here too. He'll wash and dry and I'll fold, although I have been getting braver and throwing some laundry in myself, our laundry room is on the main floor. I wish my bathroom with the tub was down here to but I guess you can't have everything. My husband also runs to the store, he hates grocery shopping but has been good about it, I try and go with him whenever I can. I can't drive yet, I broke my kneecap 6 1/2 months ago, while using the other leg to get around, I bruised the longer bone that goes from the knnecap down and wound up in a wheelchair, could not walk at all for the past couple of months. Therapy is getting me back on my feet but it is a slow process. I will have surgery sometime in April to have the hardware removed and then I should get back my range of motion although they are not promising 100%. So I still have a while to go yet. I am learning to walk using a walker and crutches which I hate. I do not trust them, I fell using them outside. I wouldn't be embarrassed to go out using the walker, people understand for the most part and for those who don't TOUGH!!! If you want to go out, go, it might do you some good, I know that when I go out, I.m like a little kid in a candy store:)

I am so sorry to hear about your back problems, there is nothing worse than that!! I can understand the pain a little bit as I have had sciatica and it seems to be flaring up again. But nothing like your pain.

God Bless you working with children who have special needs. I worked at Dupont Hospital for Children for about 5 months a few years back and I cried everyday, I had to quit I could not handle seeing all of those sick children, it broke my heart. My 2 year old grandson has just been diagnosed as Autistic, he has therapy once or twice a day for movement and speech. He seems to be doing real well with the therapy. Thank God!!

I have 4 grandchildren 2 years to almost 16. I raised the oldest one untill about a year ago, he went back with his Mother. I have 1 daughter and she has been a handful for most of her life, I guess that's why I could only have one, the good Lord knew what I was in for HA HA

Can you at least take some Tylenol or Aleve for the pain?

By the way, where are you from? I live in PA.

Keep ypur spirits up, we are rooting for you.

Talk to you soon.

Peggy

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 08:40:04 PM »
Hi Grandma,

I second Peggy's WOW you are a busy lady.  I love to sing but only do it alone in my car - request from people who have heard me.  The louder I can sing the better the release of stress.  I'm an oldies girl (not much on country) but love the old crooners.  I am keeping you in my thoughts and hope that the back becomes a pain of the past very soon for you.  You sound strong and vibrant and I am sure this will all return once you on the recovery side of the surgery.

I'm teaching my husband about laundry done (Deborah's way).  I a little bossy I've been told but he's a quick learner.  Hopefully I can take over soon again - ok I'm really very bossy and its easier if I do it - no fights that way.  You sound like you have great support and I hope you can ask them for what you need, its obvious you have given them a lot over the years.

You are in my thoughts - Deborah

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 08:56:33 PM »
Peggy where are you in PA. I am in the SouthernTier near Biinghamton, NY.  You poor dear you sound like you are in for quite the battle, but hang in there I believe you will have a full recovery. Do you have access to Hot water therapy. I didn't think I would ever get my full ROM back either and then I went to Hot water therapy and the one good thing that has come out of all this as they worked on my back and knee. The knee feels great but the back was hopeless without surgery.  

My 14 year old grandson was born with Down syndrome which is what got me into the feild of working with handicapped children. It is also why both my daughters are in the medical field. They are nurses in a group home for mentalally and physically challenged adults. My youngest daughter also does what I did and goes into the homes and work with children. I've done everything from owning my own Day Care Center, Medical Transcription, selling beauty products, school bus monitor and school aide, etc, etc. plus what I told you.

I have been taking Tylenol and Aleve but that has to stop 10 days before surgery. I had stopped taking everything for my otehr surgery date and then guess what.  Believe me the kind of pain I have doesn't feather too well on over the counter drugs. I do get relief with heat and relaxation and so would rather take that route for now. I don't go out much as it is not good to walk on it right now. The disk slipps in my back and causes my knee to buckle.  After seeing those x-rays I'm afraid to move now that I know what is happening in there.

My husband has shrunk a few clothes (bless his heart) but he tried hard. He carries the clothes upstairs for me to fold and helps me take care of them. He is a school bus driver and drives 8 hours a day, 4 runs a day.  One of his runs is a BOCES out of town and he has time to kill so he hangs out in a grocery store. If I don't give him a list he buys things anyway and usually what we don't need. He worked two jobs for over 30 years. He retired from his full time job and turned bus driving into full time. He is the senior driver so gets priority.  

I refuse to use crutches. I fell on them once and so I tell the doctors what they can do with his crutches. I tell them crutches are for kids.I like the walker the best. I feel safer and more stable inside and out.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:01:00 PM by luckygrandma »

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 02:40:42 PM »
Hi Grandma,

Between you and your husband, do you guys ever just sit still HA HA? I know alot of men that have retired and gone out and gotten another f/t job because of boredom. My husband wants to move into the mountains and hunt and fish every day when he retires. If he stayed home I would probably hunt him:)

We live in Southern Chester County, we were both originally from Philly. I lived in New England for 25 years, had my fill of the cold and snow!! Bill had never lived outside of PA until 1999 when he took a job in Maryland, we loved it there but his field (computers) is one where you never know what is going to happen, so when he was layed off his old boss offered him a job in PA and we moved back here. I'll tell you this wasn't where we wanted to be but....  I'm not sure exactly where you are, I'll have to look it up on the map. Are you in a snowy part of NY?

My husband can do laundry really well, he had to learn, he has 4 brothers and I guess his mother got tired of doing all of the laundry. He can clean and his cooking is okay, not mine but edible. We do alot of canning and have preserve contests, who's taste better?? He likes to do it all natural, I will add the pectin, I think mine is better. We also have a war going with who makes the better meatloaf, his is hard, mine moist, so I vote for mine, although I don't like to make or eat meatloaf often. One of his brothers is a gourmet chef and he teaches me alot of different things. Right before I got hurt he was going to start teaching me different Chinese dishes. Will have to wait for that lesson but I am anxious to learn how to make homemade egg rolls and pot stickers. Those are a favorite around here.

I am sorry to hear that your grandson has Downs syndrome, but I feel that with all of you that is one boy who is well taken care of.

No, I do not have access to hot water therapy, my therapy office soes not have a pool, I had to go to this one because the hours for the other therapy offices were not conducive to my husbands hours. I do try and get into my soaking tub at least once a week, it's a pain to get out of but feels so good just to soak and move my leg around in the warm water.
I use the heating pad alot, that also feels good.

I guess I would not go out either at this point, I agree with you I would be afraid of the knee giving out and falling. I hope and pray that after the surgery you get back to your lbusy lifestyle.  Noone should have to go through what you are going through right now.

How long will you be in the hospital? You need to teach your husband how to contact us, so that he can keep us posted until you get home and can get back on the computer. Boy, now I am asking toooooo much HUH??

The crutches are a pain in the ..... I use then at therapy and I walk around my kitchen island holding on with 1 hand to practice. I also use them to get upstairs. I don't like or trust them!! I agree, they are for kids, they use them like a toy.

Well I have to get going for now, will talk to you later.

Deborah, stop being so BOSSY!!! HA HA  I am like you, my husband always tells me that I am bossy, I tell him it's not bossy, it's that I like things done my way. Right now he tells me that if I want them done my way I have 6 more months to wait, then he'll take whatever piece of equipment I am using to get around and move it so I can't chase him/ He's
crazy!! Hope you are getter stronger every day.

Ladies, have a great day.

Peggy

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »
HA!! HA!! Peggy. My husband keep in touch with you. I'm not even sure he knows where the button is to turn on the computer.

My husband is not totally retired. He just retired from one full time job of 30 years and turned his part time job of 30 years as School Bus Driver into full time. He drives bus 8 hours a day. We have it worked out. He is in the basement most of the time when he is home watching his 52" screen TV and I'm upstairs watching my 10", of course after his chores are done. He comes up once in awhile and asks me if I want a drink of waater., usually during commercials.

I may be in the hosptpital up to a week, it depends on how I do. I will certainly write before I go and as soon as able I'll get in touch when I get home. I have been doing some research on my surgery and I really should stop doing that as it's making me a nervous wreck.

Binghamton, NY is the first Big City across the border into NY. We live in a little town called Smithville Flats, about 19 miles from there. Maybe we can meet one day.

A cane is much easier to go upstairs with then crutches if you have a railing. You hold onto the railing with one hand and use the cane for the other leg. No way!! No how so they get me on crutches. I tell them to use them for firewood.

We are usually in a snowy area but this year we have had about 5" of snow totally. My grandsons are really disappointed as I'm sure all kids are.  It is rainy and gloomy again today and I'm sick of this depressing weather. Yesterday the ground was lightly covered in snow and today it is all gone again. It's been like this all winter.  Catch you latter.

I want to thank everyone once again for your support. It is really helping to know others care and understand.

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »
Grandma,

So your husband can't find the on button HUH?? Mine is soooo computer savy, after all that's what he does for a living. He is the Manager of a Global Network System and he is learning the security end of it now. He's really good at his job and so smart too. I wish I knew 1/4 of what he does concerning the computer. At least I know the internet and email, guess that's all that counts.

Meeting would be nice, we are about 2 1/2 hours from NYC going 1 way and if we go up thru the Pocono's I think, but son't hold me to it, about the same distance. I have absolutely no sense of direction or distance.

We have the big tv in the family room and since my accident, that's my domain. Bill brought down the guest room bed when I came home from the hospital, couldn't do stairs at all and since I am having the hardware removed in April, the bed will stay right where it is. Every now and then he will go upstairs to watch something that I won't watch. I guess I have dibs since I can't run upstairs. Usually I will run upstairs and turn on what I want to watch.

I should be graduating to a cane sometime in the next few weeks. Tried it a few weeks ago and just froze. I usually have therapy on Monday evenings, but tonight I had to cancel to go to the dentist. I am having major work done and can't be in 2 places at once. I'll go Wed. and Thurs. These are my scheduled days. I am getting tired of running out 3 days a week for pt. Apparantly, I will be going until June, the pt may discharge me next month or worse case change the amount of time, which won't hurt my feelings at all.

We haven't gotten any snow and that's okay with me. I will not drive in it, and since my knee I will not walk on it ever again, my greatest fear is falling on this leg again. My husband calls me Klutzy. I really don't watch where I wallk. Our weather man said we will get about 15 inches this winter, whenever that may be. I guess the kids are disappointed, but we cannot control Mother Nature!!

Well I have to go get dressed for the dental appointment. LUCKY ME!!! He's really good and doesn't hurt at all, I am just the biggest baby and worst dental patient there is.

Talk to you later.

Peggy

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
Grandma
I run a house that has 3 mentally handicapped people that live there love the job but it takes it toll somedays they are great people my youngest son is Autistic and when I was in college before marriage the 1st time my major was emotionally disturbed spec ed
Sounds like you are having quite the ride with all the issues that you have going on so sorry to hear that one
I hate the dentist as well good luck with what it is you are having done
PT put me back on 1 crutch today swellling it to bad to go w/o them
We got about 4 inches of snow and lots of ice here in Ia
Deborah will wait for the video and buy it for Curt he just thinks that it all needs washed so it should all go together thank goodness for the son's gf she is helping make sure that the guys dont stuff the washer and use the wrong setting and making sure that they use fabric softner
Take care all going back to the ice pack
Caren

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 07:55:52 AM »
Grandma,

So your husband can't find the on button HUH?? Mine is soooo computer savy, after all that's what he does for a living. He is the Manager of a Global Network System and he is learning the security end of it now. He's really good at his job and so smart too. I wish I knew 1/4 of what he does concerning the computer. At least I know the internet and email, guess that's all that counts.

Meeting would be nice, we are about 2 1/2 hours from NYC going 1 way and if we go up thru the Pocono's I think, but son't hold me to it, about the same distance. I have absolutely no sense of direction or distance.

We have the big tv in the family room and since my accident, that's my domain. Bill brought down the guest room bed when I came home from the hospital, couldn't do stairs at all and since I am having the hardware removed in April, the bed will stay right where it is. Every now and then he will go upstairs to watch something that I won't watch. I guess I have dibs since I can't run upstairs. Usually I will run upstairs and turn on what I want to watch.

I should be graduating to a cane sometime in the next few weeks. Tried it a few weeks ago and just froze. I usually have therapy on Monday evenings, but tonight I had to cancel to go to the dentist. I am having major work done and can't be in 2 places at once. I'll go Wed. and Thurs. These are my scheduled days. I am getting tired of running out 3 days a week for pt. Apparantly, I will be going until June, the pt may discharge me next month or worse case change the amount of time, which won't hurt my feelings at all.

We haven't gotten any snow and that's okay with me. I will not drive in it, and since my knee I will not walk on it ever again, my greatest fear is falling on this leg again. My husband calls me Klutzy. I really don't watch where I wallk. Our weather man said we will get about 15 inches this winter, whenever that may be. I guess the kids are disappointed, but we cannot control Mother Nature!!

Well I have to go get dressed for the dental appointment. LUCKY ME!!! He's really good and doesn't hurt at all, I am just the biggest baby and worst dental patient there is.

Talk to you later.

Peggy

Maybe saying my husband doesn't know where the button on the computer is a little overstated. He can find it when he has too but really isn't interested. He's helped me when I've had computer problems that are small but he grumbles over it.  My son is a computer engineer and I hate to ask him even more. I learned most of what I know by trial and error and as a Medical Transcription working for National Companies. He's always asking me to research things.

We are about three hours from NYC and we too have to go through the Poconos to get there. 

When I say basement I mean family room as that is where our family room is. We have a Spiral Staircase that goes down to the basement. Our house is a log cabin that we built and has a full finished off basement and a full first floor over it.  If I had known I would have all these problems we would not have done the Spiral Staircase.  I think I would have had an elevator put in instead. HA!!

Stay with your walker as long as you can if that makes you feel safe. The therapist pushed me into using  a cane before I was ready and I fell a few times and it made the situation worse. When you feel confident you can do it and not before.

I'm with you on the snow. I don't mind not getting snow but I'm sick of this rain. We are on a hill and don't have to worry about it but some people we know got badly flooded. It is so depressing with it being so gloomy outside. I know the fear of falling. I fell  a few years ago and broke my hip and a few times since then. Falling has become quite an art as I can't fall on my left side because of my hip replacement. I can't fall on my right side because of my knee and I can't fall in then middle because of my back. The last time I fell I fell on my butt bone and ended up with quite a bruise but avoided all the important things. I think the Fosamax has really helped.

Hope you had fun att your dentist appoint. HA!! [/color]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:08:50 AM by luckygrandma »

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 07:59:53 AM »
My great uncle used to have a farm in a town called Ninvea New York.   In my youth we would go up and smell the clean air and see all the stars in the sky.

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 08:07:30 AM »
Hi Grandma,

I second Peggy's WOW you are a busy lady.  I love to sing but only do it alone in my car - request from people who have heard me.  The louder I can sing the better the release of stress.  I'm an oldies girl (not much on country) but love the old crooners.  I am keeping you in my thoughts and hope that the back becomes a pain of the past very soon for you.  You sound strong and vibrant and I am sure this will all return once you on the recovery side of the surgery.

I'm teaching my husband about laundry done (Deborah's way).  I a little bossy I've been told but he's a quick learner.  Hopefully I can take over soon again - ok I'm really very bossy and its easier if I do it - no fights that way.  You sound like you have great support and I hope you can ask them for what you need, its obvious you have given them a lot over the years.

You are in my thoughts - Deborah
Thank you for your wonderful words of comfort. I don't know what I would do without my Karaoke and singing. I practice and sing my little heart out when no one is around. It's a great way to reduce stress. We have these friends over for dinner every couple weeks and they always compliment me so much that I turn red from embarrassement.

Laundry done Deborah's way is cute. My husband has been so good about doing the laundry that I hate to complain, but for Christmas he gave me this expensive sweat shirt. It said to tumble dry on low heat and he shrunk it and I asked him about this and he said. "I only had it on high heat for 20 minutes.  Oh well, what are you gonna do but love them.

The rehabilitation for this type of surgery is very long and that is the part that bothers me the most after going through it. It could take a year to fully recover.  I'm thinking of investing in one of those walkers that has a seat. I think it would help walking long distance. We want to go back to Nashville, TN this summer with some friends and it requires a lot of walking.  

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:24:03 AM by luckygrandma »

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 08:10:06 AM »
My great uncle used to have a farm in a town called Ninvea New York.   In my youth we would go up and smell the clean air and see all the stars in the sky.
Where exactly is this or what is this near. I've never heard of this town.

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
Grandma
I run a house that has 3 mentally handicapped people that live there love the job but it takes it toll somedays they are great people my youngest son is Autistic and when I was in college before marriage the 1st time my major was emotionally disturbed spec ed
Sounds like you are having quite the ride with all the issues that you have going on so sorry to hear that one
I hate the dentist as well good luck with what it is you are having done
PT put me back on 1 crutch today swellling it to bad to go w/o them
We got about 4 inches of snow and lots of ice here in Ia
Deborah will wait for the video and buy it for Curt he just thinks that it all needs washed so it should all go together thank goodness for the son's gf she is helping make sure that the guys dont stuff the washer and use the wrong setting and making sure that they use fabric softner
Take care all going back to the ice pack
In my line of work I worked with many autistic children and adults. It is so amazing how different they all are. The same with Down syndrome. My grandson doesn't have any Medical problems and is very high functioning.

Ride is an understatement. I'm getting  a little tired of starting each New Year with surgery. This would be the 3rd year in a row and hope it is the last. There isn't much left to fix. Over the years I've had 14 surgeries and about 10 have been bone related. I was adopted at 8 and very undernourished for the first 8 years and the doctors contribute a lot to that.

I'm not the one going to the dentist it is Peggy although I should go. Maybe since I have all this extra time I'll make an appointment. My husband and I have eye appointments nest week,
 might just as wel get everything else fixed.

Heat is my friend these days. I sleep with a heating pad under me. It's the only way I get any sleep. My hot tub also is a welcome more then ever.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:27:07 AM by luckygrandma »

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »
Hi Grandma,

I am so jealous that you have a hot tub. Any problems getting in and out? I certainly hope not. I am so sorry to hear that you were treated so prooly as a child. I guess being undernourishes would cause bone problems in the long run. I hope you recoup fron this next surgery quicker than a year but if it takes that long I am sure you will find ways to get around. My knee is taking up to or longer than a year and it is frustrating thinking about how long a year really is, but it will work out, Stay positive!!!

Do you need to go thru the Pocono's to get to NYC?  I'm not clear on that. Well, it's another rainy, gloomy day here in Southern Chester County PA. No wonder my knee is so stiff this morning! I have deceided that today I will sit with the heating pad on the leg and watch all of the tapes I have been having my husband tape fpr me. Shows he doesn't get into I can watch all day!!!

Caren, sorry to hear that your leg keeps swelling up and that you need to use those horrible crutches. Please be careful

Have a wonderful, stiff free day

Peggy

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »
Peggy you are welcome to join me in the hot tub. I tell you this is the best inveastment we ever made years ago.  I don't have any trouble getting in and out. I can swing my leg over the top but I just have to be careful not to twist as that is what causes the most pain and when I walk. I use my walker all the time now, I don't want another problem to be operated on.

I hope it is much sooner then a year also, but I figure if I expect the worse and don't get my expectations too high that if it goes better I will be even more encouraged. The first doc said three months but my son who had Back Surgery said "No way"  This other doc will not even comment. plus the surgery is more intense then we though. The first doc said three days in the hospita and this doc will not say.
Hey it snowed her today and is so pretty outside but the ground is only dusted and you can still see the grass. It has already stopped snowing and the sun is shining and so by the end of the day I'm sure it will be all gone. That has been the extenet of our winter. Oh!! Welll almost lunch and soap time.