Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: UPDATE ON MY NIGHTMARE  (Read 34390 times)

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: UPDATE ON MY NIGHTMARE
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »
Grandma,

I still haven't eaten breakfast, my mouth is a little sore. Nothing to write home about but still afraid to eat although I am getting hungry.

What soaps?

You call that dusting snow? I call it LUCK!!

Peggy

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 09:34:21 PM »
Hey Peggy is your mouth less sore after breakfast. I find the novacaine wears off faster if I eat or drink even thiough it dribbles out the side of the mouth.

Guess what it is 4:30 and the snow is still on the ground. That's the longest it has stayed on trhe ground this year.

I just can't seem to get myself motivated these days. I got my surgery date but haven't gotten all the preop appointments in the mail yet. Until I do I won't feel this date is set in stone even though the receptionist said it is.  Until I'm on the operating table I won't believe it.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 09:54:23 PM »
Hi Becky,

I think most of us wait until we're lying on the operating table before really believing we're going to get our surgery there and then. Until that point, in my experience, they can change their minds and not give what we could consider a sensible reason for it.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 11:09:10 PM »
Don't I know it Laura, after all that is what this thread is about.  I have had 14 surgeries and never had this happen before. I doubt if this doc will do this knowing what I've been through. He felt really bad for these people who were scheduled for surgery and the doctor skipped town.

You still amaze me Laura. Even with all you are going through you still take the time to help others, but I guess that is what this board is all about. We all have our problems or we wouldn't be here. RIGHT!!!
They shoud give a prize for the longest going thread. A lot of people are with you and care about you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:11:04 PM by luckygrandma »

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 02:43:04 AM »
Grandma,

Ate breakfast and then dinner tonight with no problems at all. Can't wait until all this dental work is done ( sometime in March ). So the snow is still there, it's finally getting cold enough for it to stick around for awhile. What date did they give you? With everyone having surgeries coming up I think I am going to start writing them down so I can stay ahead of the game.

Talk to you later.

Peggy

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »
Hey Becky,

I've not been to a dentist since 1987. The way I see it, my teeth don't hurt, they're white, I have no fillings, I don't have receding gums and I try to look after them properly. Therefore, I don't need to see a dentist who will charge me just for looking in my mouth!

I can always help people far easier than sorting out my own problems. Don't ask me why, that's just how I see it. With my own stumpy leg I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. If there ever was one, I think it went out a long time ago. But for others, I can quite easily see what options may be available to them so I just say what I think on the board to try to help. I don't always know what to say though.

Peggy - it's good to know you can eat something again. Yo must stay strong and therefore, have to eat. Did you feel better for it? I hop eyou are doing OK.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 02:46:22 PM »
[
As far as the dentist. I wish I could say I have no fillings but you could tune a radio in my mouth. I lost several back teeth due to sinus infections and so have a partial plate to replace them.  I take good care of my teeth and it has been a long time since I've been to the dentis, and the only reason I need to see the dentist is because the plate is loose and needs adjusting.  Without the plate I bite my tongue and it puts pressure on my crown below it. I had quite the sweet tooth as a child and even though my parents took me to he dentist every six months I averaged a cavity a month. Back then they didn't just make a little hole but drilled out the whole tooth for a pin point cavity which weakened some of my teeth.  I have a lot more teeth then my husband. He didn't take care of his teeth and has full uper and bottom plates by the time he was 40. His family never took him to the dentist as a child and so he never learned good oral hygeine as far as his teeth.  You are 33 and I am 60, lit;s amazing how much things change in 30 years.

Boy it is amazing how these conversations can start as one thing and completely take a turn in another direction. Reminds me of the game GOSSIP.  [/color]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:47:26 AM by luckygrandma »

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »
Hi Grandma and Laura,

Shame on both of you for not having regular checkups HA HA. I hate the dentist but because I am a diabetic my teeth starting to rot from the root up, the only way to save me from dentures ( which I could never tolerate ) he is capping all of my teeth. The top and bottom will be 1 piece each. It's a real different situation for me as I never had a full mouth of teeth and had a huge space between my 2 front teeth and spaces between others. Just never grew the teeth. Have no idea why????

Anyhow, my top has the full temporary in and the botton has seperate temps until he does the top impression again and sends them to the lab. I should have the permanents bu March. This has been an adventure, I started in October, just can't wait till it's done. People look at me and say "what's different" Being the buster that I am I will not tell them HA HA

Figure it out on your own. My husband loved my space and wanted me to have it ibcluded in the permanent caps. YEAH RIGHT!! Eating is no longer a problem except for my waistline")

Anyhow, that is my story. I figured my leg gave me so much pain that the dental work would be a piece of cake and so far so good.

Now to get the leg back!!!!

Becky, you need to calm down, just relax and think of this upcoming surgery in a positive manner. I know easier said than done, but this one should relieve alot of pain and hopefully will be it. Yes stress does play an important role in the surgery and healing process. You have to get the preop work done again as our blood changes every 7 days and 1 hospital will not accept results from another. Lawsuits, you know. So unfortunately you will have to be pin cushion once more. But look at it this way, better to be safe than sorry.

I am sorry to hear that your 1 daughter has cancer and that the other is having marital problems. This has got to be stressing you to the max. Hope all works out for both of them.

Will talk to you all a little later,

Peggy

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »
Hi Peggy, Thanks again for your support. The daughter that was diagnosed with Breast cancer a month after my TKR is doing quite well. Laura and I have talked a lot about it.  She was diagnosed with Stage 1,which has 100% survival rate. She went through Chemo and lost her hair but it has grown back and is black and very very curly.  It is beautiful and soft. As of now she is cancer free but once you have been diagnosed with cancer it could come back.  She has to take this medicine for 5 years and the doctor says if it doesn't come back in 5 years she is pretty safe. She is 37. W have been very lucky but it has been a stressful year.
This year has got to be better as it can't get much worse. I think this is the year to fix things.

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 09:09:38 PM »
Grandma,

I agree 100% this has got to be a better year!!! I'm glad to hear that daughters cancer was caught so early and that she is doing well. It is such a scary thing to go through. You have reminded me that I need to get a mammogram, don't know how the hell I.m gonna be able to do this one though. I am short and I actually get lifed off of the floor by the machine. I guess I might have to wait until the leg is a bit stronger.

Got to get ready for therapy, talk to you later,

Peggy

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 10:14:23 PM »
I know what you mean Peggy. I even got an order from my doctor to call this imaging place that does the
them and I haven't been an=ble to get the courage. He wrote the order months ago and I'm not even sure where it is. It's like I don't want to know. I've had them before though and they havd been all right. A reminder to all women oaver 35. Get those mammograms. It's not just fior old people anymore. I'm only 5 feet myself.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 12:20:16 AM »
Hi ladies,

Grandma, hopefully the 28th will be here quicker than you know.  Just vent to us about your apprehension.  This is no piece of cake you are facing and I don't blame you for being nervous about it.  Just hoping this gets you out of pain and then it can all be worth it.  And can I just say to all of you - bless you for being able to work so well with challenged children.  It really takes a special personality.  It again speaks of the strengths of each of you. 

And, I'm with all of you on the dentist thing.  When I went to interview the dentist I currently see (yes I have a pre visit interview) I burst in to tears in his office - not sitting in a dental chair just in his office.  He assured me he could work with me and so far has been very good to his word.  Sedation dentists didn't exist then and I'm not sure I'd do that anyway.  Maybe its our generation that has a problem.  My step-son will go without any prompting - I can tell you he didn't get this from me. 

My best to all for 2007 being an improved year and Grandma to your daughter.  She is a survivor. 

Have a good night all - Deborah

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
Hi Grandma,

Being short is definitely not a blessing!! My Dad use to tell me that I needed to call the city to have the curbs made higher so that I could get up them. HA HA He was soooooo funny, the fact is that all of my uncles and brothers are near or over 6 feet. My sisters are all taller than me and I have been tortured bt them all for being short. Oh well, my mother was short too. Good things come in small packages!

Peggy

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
Grandma,

My uncles farm was near east windsor.. the bingingtom area.   

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
Good Morning Grandma,

I can understand the anxiety you are having, it is okay to be nervous about the upcoming surgery but you shouldn't let it drive you completely batty!!! Anyone having surgery gets nervous and if they tell you different they are lying. Do you have a counselor you can talk to to calm you down a bit? We can root you on but we are not professionals. Are you a little shakey because you are not taking any meds?

What else are you doing to keep your mind off of the surgery? Any crafts? Any company? I'm glad we are a highlight of your day, it does make you feel better talking about all of this stuff.

My therapy was tough last night, he is increasing the exercises and today my legs hurt. I couldn't walk assisted with the 1 crutch as my foot is very sore and swollen again, this happens when I start walking again. It's a pain in the ,,,,,

My goal for this week-end is to put the wheelchair away and walk with the walker and crutches and try to get the swelling down. This should prove interesting. PT will try again next week. It's been a long haul and I am tired of the whole thing.

Today I am going to take a shower then prop my foot up and rest. Tonight my husband ususlly goes to the cigar shop with a friend and will pick up take out on his way home so I am not cooking.

Will talk to you later,

Have a good day and try to relax.

Peggy

support