Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: UPDATE ON MY NIGHTMARE  (Read 34355 times)

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: UPDATE ON MY NIGHTMARE
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »
Hey Becky,

Yes I'm still alive and around.  Work is kicking my butt and between work and school my time has become very limited.  I haven't been to the pool in over a week and haven't even been to work out in that long.  Now I do live by the credo that "exercise will kill you" but I did like my trainer.  I'm on hold with my knee until August/September and then PKR time.  Just need to wait for new insurance from work.  Then I am once again out for a period of time and hopefully back so that I can find another job sometime.

How are you doing Becky?  Improvement from the last time we talked - I know it was quite a while ago --- sorry.  And yes let me know by e-mail how your daughter is doing.  I have been wondering.

Peggy - hope you are doing well with the knee.  How is PT and ROM and pain?

OK I'm at work and have to run.  Just wanted to at least say hello and I'm alive and sort of well.

Take care,

Deborah

Offline ataraktos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2007, 04:03:52 AM »
Hi,

I've been away from the board for a while, too ... just checked back in from getting a PM ...

By the time I was re-learning to walk, I don't know that I'd say anyone "had" me do anything, like wear a brace - by that point, quite a few drs didn't really know what was going on with me and I was at the point of "whatever works, do it" ... my leg was just so unstable and unpredictable that I had to wear  *something* while weight-bearing. At least, with the immobilizer, I knew that my leg wasn't really *going* anywhere when it gave out b/c it was like my leg was in a pipe! It was still scary, but I didn't have to also be scared of falling and/or seriously re-injuring my knee so it really helped a lot ... I think part of the difficulty with nerve damage is you have to find a way to make body parts attempt to do stuff the nerves aren't ready for, in order for the nerves to regain their lost function but since it's our nerves that "make body parts do stuff", it can be really tough!

Hope you're continuing to see improvements!

Take care,
-jill

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2007, 12:35:02 PM »
Hi Jill, I went to therapy for the 3rd time yesterday and yesterday was my first day in the pool. I can't believe how much function I've lost in what was once my good leg. They are talking brace also but for my knee replacement leg. The therapist thinks there is something wrong with my knee replacement that it over extends too much. The harder I try the knee just wants to fling out and then rebending it from a straight postion is mightly painful. I have that problem in the one leg and the other leg is so weak it won't hold me to stand solo.

I sure am sore today, back ,legs, you name it. I sure hope as I hopefully progress and I'm not hurting so much after therapy.  Was your nerve damage from a knee replacement, I didn't have this until after my back surgery and if the doctor hadn't goofed and done it right in the first place so I didn't need a second surgery things would be quite different right now.  Becky

Offline ataraktos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having such a rough go!!

My *first* thought would be to be hesitant to say there's something now wrong with the knee replacement that wasn't giving you trouble before back surgery. It might just be that you've lost a lot of strength in *both* legs since back surgery and now, that's showing up w/ the knee replacement? Of course, I'm not there (and definitely not a PT! :-) but  ... I went through a similar situation with my knee surgery:

-- elective knee surgery
-- knee/leg has problems working normally immediately following surgery
-- DRs wanting to say I had a back problem ???

I was like "no, that doesn't make any sense ... what was the most recent, traumatic event - the knee surgery, so it really stands to reason that *that* was most likely the cause of my operated-on leg not working correctly!" Remembering back- it was a slip of the tonuge by the EMG tech that let me in on the fact that I did, in fact, have nerve damage ... when I went back to the DR for my report, who was a colleague of my OS, he was like "nerves are fine" and I was like "wait, that's not what the tech was saying" ... and then they shifted to "you must have something wrong with your back" ... I finally got away from that area, for a decent second opinion!

Ironically, I do have something (as yet undertermined) wrong with my lower back but it wasn't/isn't affecting my knees. No one can figure out what my back issue is ... I should probably start with another round of trying to get it sorted out.

I had a tibial tubrecle transfer operation to combat chronic knee dislocations. Surgery ended with a post-op femoral nerve block which (non-permanently) damaged my femoral nerve.

When they have you trying to work out, since both legs are having issues, do you have access to handrails of any kind? That helped me, helped me not to be so scared, helped my good leg not to have to do all the work and helped my recovering leg be able to do what it could.

Good luck!!

support