Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2007 A HORRIBLE START  (Read 1427 times)

Offline purplehazin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2007 A HORRIBLE START
« on: January 09, 2007, 06:24:47 PM »
I just wanted to say, my new year stinks so far.... On New Year's Eve, I slipped down the stairs at my house.  causing swelling and horrific pain in my right knee.  Time went by almost 4 days to be exact and the swelling still was not going down and it was very hard to go up stairs, let alone drive or walk.  So I went and saw an orthopedic. 
Just a note.... I have had surgery on both my knees in the past... about 6 years ago....
The ortho said that I pulled or possibly torn my MCL ligament and he had me get x-rays done.  In the x-rays it showed that my patella is higher then it supossed to me, and it is resting on my thigh bone.  Also my thigh bone is flat (it doesn't have the groove for the patella to rest in, so it makes it very very easy for my patella to dislocate.  Which it is at this moment. 
He mentioned that there is a good chance I will have to have surgery to correct this problem... I really don't want to keep have Cortizone shots in my knee for pain... I am tired of not being able to run around with my son... Does anyone else have the same condition or something like it.  I wonder if I am going to go throught with the surgery.

Thanks
Shay

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: 2007 A HORRIBLE START
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 03:36:08 AM »
Hello Shay,

That sounds like a terrible way to start off the new year.

I can't give you any advice on your knee, but will suggest that you take a look down in the patello-femoral board (look in the Specialit's office section). You might find some help and information there.

best wishes,

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Mrs. P

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:22:11 PM »
I can totally relate to you! I got married on January 1st, and then we went skiing on our honeymoon, which in retrospect was really stupid because I'd never been skiing before and I'm not covered by health insurance. SO I came down the hill really fast and couldn't stop, and at the bottom of the hill my right skee turned 180 degrees inward as I fell on top of it. The injury didn't seem to serious at the time but it's a month later and the pain is bad. I can't afford surgery. I don't know what to do! I try to be happy about being married to the man of my dreams but all I can think about is how I started of the marriage in pain and it's been that way ever since.
The doctor gave me a brace and said it should be fine to go back to work. He'll give me an MRI in a month if the pain does not get better. I can't even afford the damn MRI, it's $900 and I haven't worked in a month, and I have a wedding to pay off! SO today is supposed to be my first day back at work (waitressing) and I am scared. I don't feel up to working right now, the pain is still there and I feel very unstable. I wish i had the money and insurance to get this properly taken care of. :(

Offline Helen_ uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Mostly falling apart today
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:29:10 PM »
I have a similar problem no groove etc.. it is notoriously hard to stabilise but I had a feloral groove made and then surface plated as in a partial knee replacement type surgery.
I dont have knee caps as tey were removed some 30 years ago. O wish you well and please feel free to contact me if you nedd to.
I am in the uk and my consultant has developed a specialty in this because of my probelem.
H xx
Facing my  66 th operation. Psoratic arthritis hyper mobile joints.Permanantly disabled but mobile thanks to skill and patience of a lovely surgeon.Married with two daughters.Had unstable and shallow joints had tiny knee caps now removed. constant battle to stay mobile using crutches or wheelchair.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
Hi

A very sad story - but how can we help????  we can only sympathise with you, but you must really get an Orthopaedic Consultant to have a look at your injured knee - the pain is not going to go away.

Best wishes on your marriage.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:39:39 PM »
Can you get insurance cover now? presumably you would have to wait a certain time before you could claim on it - but at least you would know you could in the not too distant future get seen properly.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

support