Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Skiing after scope?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline skigc140

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Skiing after scope?
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
So exactly one week post op - feels great with a little swelling and pain here and there, but very stable.

Doc took my stitches out today and I asked if I could go on the ski trip I had planned for this weekend.

He said he is not worried about the joint at all, but the incisions. He says if i split one open and get an infection I am pretty much screwed. He said he would "prefer" me not to ski this weekend and wait one more week for the wounds to heal. I told him I defnitely wanted to , and what could I do ? He told me to cover it up and not bang it on anything, and that was definitely allowed. But, he kind of sounded like he wanted me to wait, to be safe.

Anyone have any experience with this? A storm is moving in and this could be my last chance for some good skiing before I start classes again...is it worth the risk to ski if I dress it properly and maybe wear a knee pad?

I know he wants to let me ski as soon as possible, so am I being completely reckless going against his recommendations?>

redtoblack

Re: Skiing after scope?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 05:03:37 PM »
I know you don't want to hear this but YOU SHOULD WAIT.  What's missing one ski trip compared to possibly doing a lot of damage, getting an infection, or worse?  Accidents happen no matter how careful you are.  Something had to happen for you to need the scope in the first place.

Take care of your knee.

Jordan

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 05:43:25 PM »
I very much agree with Jordan.  You are balancing a ski trip (mind you a fun time and something you really want to do) with causing more damage and possible infection.  Not worth it.  Just read some of the posts from folks who have had post-op infections.  Once they get into the tissues and especially the bone they are very hard to deal with.  I don't mean to sound so hard about this.  But to me, as much as you may love to ski - love your knee more.  Hope it all works out.  Deborah

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 05:51:10 AM »
Hey Nikki,

There will be many more winters and many more opportunities to ski in your lifetime, but you only get 2 knees....

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline skigc140

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:52:36 AM »
ugh yeah i know you guys. it just gets a little hard. it's been so stressful being hurt during the winter time! i just got a little a head of myself . but no worries, after next week i'm good to go and there's plenty of snow to go around

thank you !
nikki

Offline Keppy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
Easy answer, DON'T DO IT. I did, tore the incisions and was lucky not to have an infection. All i achieved was a longer recovery period and a week sitting in a bar unable to ski or drink alcohol because they put me on antibiotics to make sure i didn't get an infection.

As stated above there will be plenty more skiing seasons and there is not much snow around this year anyway.
Take it easy, recover properly and take the advice the surgeon gave you, they have all those letters after their names for a reason  ;D

support