Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hello,new here,need some advice  (Read 731 times)

Offline jbjgurl77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello,new here,need some advice
« on: January 08, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
Hello My name is Penny I am a 29 female from upstate,NY.1-4-07 I had laporsocpic surgry done on my knee the doctor said it was torn cartilage,but actually discovered I am in a lot worse shape then he expceted,he said I have the knee of a 60 year old :oand that if I was older the would do a knee replacement on me,but he won't cause I am too young.I know my weight is an issue(I am over weight and I am trying to loose it,not easy :'()So what I am supposed to do,go through the rest of my life in pain..I mean I can't walk far and stand for long cause I fall..I have to use a tub chair cause I slip in the shower and get stuck in the tub,I haven't been able to vist my dad much cause he lives in an upstairs apartment,my quailty of lie sucks right now...I am so frusrated..please help :'( :-[!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Hello,new here,need some advice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:19:00 AM »
Hey Penny,

l would ask your OS about what suggestions he has and what exactly I found.  There are many options out there for people too young for a TKR. 

I am concerned about your situation.  Why do you feel that you fall when you stand for a long time?  Is it from pain or a feeling of instability (knee giving out)?  There may be some muscle strength issues going on, which could be helped with physical therapy.  In physical therapy they could also instruct you on exercises that would be appropriote for your situation and to help you loose weight.  You may even have symptom relief with just a small reduction in weight. 

Good Luck
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline jbjgurl77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:01:01 AM »
Hey Penny,

l would ask your OS about what suggestions he has and what exactly I found.  There are many options out there for people too young for a TKR. 

I am concerned about your situation.  Why do you feel that you fall when you stand for a long time?  Is it from pain or a feeling of instability (knee giving out)?  There may be some muscle strength issues going on, which could be helped with physical therapy.  In physical therapy they could also instruct you on exercises that would be appropriote for your situation and to help you loose weight.  You may even have symptom relief with just a small reduction in weight. 

Good Luck
thank you for your reply and I fall cause it gives out on me and sometimes from the pain.

Offline hntndaylight

• Regular Poster
    • Ironheart-Images
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 04:39:31 AM »
I'd suggest checking with a different OS. Some of them are pencil thin fitness nuts who dont understand issues with weight. Im not too overweight, but I am a big guy at 6'1" and anywhere from 220-240. It was telling in my knees that Ive always carried a few extra pounds (and also that I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes) when he had to go into them after the accident.

Any doctor of any type that tells me to tough it out, Im getting a second opinion. Ive had too many things missed too many times. They are only human, with their own life experiences and biases. At least in my case with my knee it was easy to tell there was something bad wrong, coming in on an ambulance with my right foot and tibia 45 degrees rotated from the rest of my body. Wasnt much doubt about that, lol. Only thing it was worse inside than it looked like.
40 years old
R. k. ruptured PCL, MCL, tibial plateau fracture, and  double  meniscus tears in farm accident, Oct 15, 06.

Reattached/repaired scope and open knee surgery Oct 27, 06.

R.K 'clean up'  meniscus, plica, scar tissue, arthritis with scope Dec 28, 2007

Absent ACL found Dec 28, 2007

support