Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI ?  (Read 811 times)

Offline pinklovefuzz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
MRI ?
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
I'm not sure about the answer to this question, so I thought I would ask here in hopes that someone would know the answer.

I know MRI's show the ligaments and muscles of the knee (or of whatever they are taken of), but would an MRI show looseness of those ligaments/muscles/tendons as well?

I don't think they would, but any info would be helpful.  I'm trying to arm myself with information for my OS appointment tomorrow morning.
4/05 - MRI, nothing serious shown
5/05 - Sent to PT
1/07 - Patellar Realignment recommended
2/6/07 - Surgery Day!

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MRI ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:09:50 PM »
Hi - its me again!

MRI will show if the patella is abnormally high or tilted to one side and will also show the alignment of the femur on the tibia but, to be honest, these are obvious clinically. Sometimes the cruciate ligaments are thin or absent but again this is detected clinically by the so-called drawer test (ie your tibia moves out like a drawer when pulled).

With patella dislocation it is useful to know if the femoral articular surfaces are at a correct angle as a shallow angle predisposes to dislocation and it is also useful to know if there has been damage to the articular surface. Given the choice of arthroscopy or MRI go for an MRI first.
Paul
www.uk-radiology.co.uk

support