Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: dislocated pattela  (Read 952 times)

Offline bigg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
dislocated pattela
« on: January 07, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
Hi all,
I am new to the post and would like some advice.  I am in the Army and have now dislocated my pattla 3 times once on my right and twice on my left, i am also a physical training instructor so i am doing alot of running exercising etc etc.  I also do bodybuilding, i am now so frustrated it is unreal. I can't do my job because my right knee seems to have never recoverd and i am just recovering from dislocating my left pattela for the second time. my quads were as big as i could get them because i do a lot of weights and me pattela still came out.  I am thinking of leaving the forces because of this. If i was in Iraq and this happend i could be in the poo. I am going to speak to my surgeon for a possible op because three times is enough for me, every time this happens i get majour set backs. My questiion is are the ops successful so i can at least continue my bodybuilding at a high level (lifting heavy weights). please could some one give me some light on this frustrating matter.

Gary >:(

Offline bigg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: dislocated pattela
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »
Cheers dude,
I can't send a personal message because it won't let me, i will probably leave the army and i had thought about the fire service it looks like i'll not be able to do that either.

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »
I am still an active member of the fire service and have about 15 years on the job, but many of those years I have completed in pain.  You may respond very well to PT and Surgery.  I know of several people that have done very well after patella procedures.  Just do not put all your eggs in one basket.

My recommendation is make sure to also develop a skill set that allows you to make money and work in a profession that is not physical in nature.  If you do that in the end if your career is cut short you can transition to something else.

brianne

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:31:47 PM »
Bigg,

I have struggled from dislocating patellas for a long time.  My job doesn't require me to be on my feet nearly as much as being in the services.  So I cannot imagine that frustration.  I am on my feet for a good portion of the summer, but the rest of the year is stuck at a desk.

Here's the advise that I would offer you.  First, if you have not already, I would recommend finding a good OS with a good understanding of knee problems.  You may have a really developed Quad, but if your VMO (The inner muscle in the quad) is weak that can cause dislocations.

My knees got to the point where last summer I could do my job which is for Habitat for Humanity.  I couldn't walk across the jobsite without fear of a subluxation or dislocation.  I had a Tibial Tubercle Transfer on my right knee in October of last year and I am having the same surgery on my left knee in 2.5 weeks.  My right knee has been a total success and I am confident that my left will be successful as well.

Only a good OS can tell you what the best option for you is, but it is possible to be active after dislocations.  Keep on it until you find an OS who will really give you options for your knees.

I hope this helped.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Brianne

support