Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brianne's left TTT diary  (Read 56301 times)

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Brianne's left TTT diary
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 03:03:47 AM »
Bri:

Whoa. Something wrong with that pastor meeting scenario.  Maybe I am wrong but..

If that Pastor you're going to meet with on the 29th is even half-a-pastor, he will apologize ....for making a lady, who is just 3 days over major knee surgery, come to his office for a meeting ... a meeting that he could have found time for 15 days later when you would have been more up to it. 

If he doesn't appreciate the sacrifice you make just to get there, I don't think I'd want his business in the first place.  What sort of a pastor makes someone wait two years just for a 120 minute meeting after all? 

Fulkerson on Left knee- 26-Jan-07
Residence: Maryland

brianne

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 03:53:01 AM »
Rob,

My first instinct was no.  Unfortunatley, things need to happen NOW at work and this is a meeting that 8 people needed to be coordinated for attending.  I do have a back-up to attend the meeting in my place if it is necessary.  I could have done it at 4 days after my right TTT.  This is the over-driven side of me.  I also really need this meeting to happen.  If I am in too much pain, I will not even try to attend.  I'll just see how things go the first few days after the surgery.

I am the Volunteer Coordinator for Habitat for Humanity and this year I will need to mobilize well over 3500 volunteers in order to build the 12 houses that need to be built.  That is a huge undertaking.  Our affiliate has never built 12 houses before.  I LOVE my job and I will honestly probably be making phone calls and coordinating from the hospital if I am up to it.  Most people would think I am crazy, but his works for me.  I have always been like this. 

Thank you for the concern.  If this was my first surgery and I did not know what I was getting myself into I would not be attempting this.

I finally got around to placing my order for a Cyro Cuff tonight.  I think I'll be glad I ordered it.  I am not nervous, but more ready to get it done with now.  It did kind of hit me that when I was leaving work today some of our Thursday volunteers were telling me "see ya next week" and I will not be there next week.

Only 1 week to go until surgery.  It was kind of a deja-vu type feeling today because I have been through all this just three months ago. 

Kelsey, I am disappointed that I had to turn down the offer to be the keynote speaker.  My life has had so many ups and downs over the years that I really don't get too disappointed when something like my knees affects my life.  Its life and life is all about the ride.  I will be glad to have dislocating and subluxing patellas behind me once and for all, thats for sure.

Brianne

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 12:05:13 AM »
Bri:

Sounds like there is a lot more to the story there than I realized.

You have a fascinating job... I must admit.  Must give you a great deal of satisfaction.

Have you had your pre-op visit yet... or do you need one now that you're a grizzled veteran.

brianne

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 12:45:18 AM »
Rob,

My job is amazing.  I get to meet people from all over the state and country and I am work for a wonderful cause such as Habitat for Humanity.  I have a teaching degree, but I wanted to get some other experiences before I started teaching.  It can be stressful, but it is so worth it in the end.

I will bypass the pre-op this time around.  Its the exact same surgery on my left knee as it was on my right.  I had a pre-op for my right, but this time my OS said that I could bypass the pre-op.  They haven't set a time for the surgery yet, they will call me to do that on Monday or Tuesday next week.  I also don't need to do any pre-op blood work or other tests.  I guess you can say I am a grizzled veteran.

6 days to go...

Brianne

Offline Kelsey

• Forum Faithful
  • several
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 02:30:07 AM »
Brianne,
i can definatly understand and appreciate your positive outlook on the situation. people ask all the time if im mad or how much it must suck blah blah i know they mean well but it gets old but all i can really say is its just a little speedbump and it will be over with in no time, you know, you roll with the punches. ive noticed some things you've said in earlier posts, and like you said, this outlook has a lot to do with my faith. but annnnyways i also turned down the pre op visit this time as i figured it wouild be a waste of itme considering i had been there done it.
15 yrs. old
tons of dislocations and subluxations on both knees
TTT/LR/medial reefing on left knee- August 29, 2006
TTT/LR/medial reefing on right knee- February 13, 2007

brianne

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »
Kelsey,

I could not agree with you more.  These knee surgeries are just a little speedbump and it will all be over very soon.  Like you, my faith is what keeps me strong.

One of my co-workers and I butt heads like everyday.  A while ago she came up to me at a Board of Directors Party and told me that my additude about knee surgeries and recovery was something that inspired her and encouraged her a lot.  Coming from this co-worker, that meant a lot to me. 

It occured to me today when I was out shopping that its almost surgery time.  I am ready to go this time.  I stocked up on frozen dinners and soup for the first few weeks.  I am getting all my laundry and house cleaning done today and tomorrow.  I have also been doing everything I can last minute to get my right knee ready for the added weight bearing.  Once Thursday rolls around I will be all set!  I finally fixed my laptop so I'll be able to surf the web from my couch.  The laptop is kind of old, but it still works and it'll help keep me occupied in the first week after surgery.

5 days to go...

Brianne

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
Right with you Bri.... the 26th is coming fast.

Getting a little case of the nerves here and there, but am so ready to get this left knee done so I can focus on the recovery.

Was told by my Dr. last Friday that he is going to have me ice alot at first, then do Ice/heat therapy. Also told me that I am NOT to get that knee wet at all for the first two weeks. One thing he said that I had not realized is that I will need to be diligent about extending the knee and making sure that the knee is forced to FULL extension (because apparently in these procedures, the knee really wants to bend a little instead of fully extend, and this can cause problems for rehab and return to function.).  I am supposed to push down on the leg semi-regularly to force extension to occur and not let the knee do a couple degree bend and stiffen like that.  Sound right Bri?

Got the cooling cuff, got the immobilizer and now it's countdown to TTT.

A lot of neighbors and church associates offering to help me and my wife during this process. Very flattering and gratifying.  You find out who your real friends are during times like these. 

Rob

brianne

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 03:43:22 PM »
Rob,

For many people full extension is very difficult to achieve.  This was not a problem for me as I got full extension the first time that I tried.  It is definately something you will want to work at to make sure you are able to fully extend your leg.

I am waiting on a call from my OS's office to schedule the exact time of the surgery. 

3 days to go.  I am kind of in panic mode at work trying to get stuff done that I don't want to put off for two weeks.  I am working on getting my house ready. 

I'm very excited about the surgery.  Everyday my left patella tries to or does sublux or dislocate and I am very happy to know that in 3 days that will all be over with for good!

Brianne

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:04 PM »
Bri:

I guess that will be another goal (full extension) to focus on.

Like you, I am also getting all sorts of things lined up at work to prepare for being away for a few weeks... and remoting-in when I get through the first few days.

No matter what we do... work is always waiting there the next day. 

Good luck getting your specific appt lined up.  My procedure is an 0700 start.
Rob

brianne

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »
I was expecting a call to schedule the time today, but my OS's office never called.  They said it would be a few days before the surgery that they would call.  I'll call if they have not called by tomorrow afternoon.Their not calling has just made me a bit nervous, because not having the surgery on the 25th would completely throw my work schedue into total chaos.  Whatever, they will call tomorrow, I just wish they would have called today.  I like to know things like that way in advance.

brianne

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 11:04:57 PM »
2 days to go...

My OS's office still hasn't called me with the surgery time.  I called them because I was told they would call to schedule on Monday or Tuesday.  They assured me that they will call tomorrow to schedule the exact time.  This is driving me crazy.  I am a Volunteer Coordinator...that means I coordinate things.  I coordinate for a living!  I like to know every little detail of what is going on all the time.  It was also getting me a bit nervous that they were going to postpone the surgery.  I got a call from the hospital to ask me a few pre-surgery questions.  They told me that they had not given my OS's office their surgery schedule for Thursday yet, but they would give them that tomorrow.  Okay, so I felt a bit better.

I am in that last minute preparation mode now.  I cleaned out my car today.  I am doing my last minute loads of laundry.  I'll spend the rest of the evening doing last minute cleaning so my house will look good.  I like to do all the last minute stuff two days before surgery, that way I can relax the day before and not be all stressed out and such.

Since I have been through this surgery before, I am not nervous.  However, since I have been through it, I know how painful the first few days after surgery can be.  That is the part that I am dreading.  I know that the end result is good, so that is what I am focused on right now.

My cryo cuff arrived today.  I know that I will be glad that I spent the money on it.

Thats about all.  There are things to be cleaned and laundry to be folded...

Brianne

Offline ljohnston30

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2007, 01:38:27 AM »
Brianne,
Good luck and remember you will be recovering from this sooner that you can imagine and you know you are an ace at the recovery thing.   
It seems like no matter how many surgeries we all have the anticipation is a killer.  I like you are a planner, coordinater, organizer and a bit of a worrier so I spent way too much time looking at my calendar before the surgey.  I felt so stressed trying to ensure that I wouldn't miss a detail at work & home before going out with my second TTT.  I spent a week worrying that the surgery would be cancelled and I remember lying in the bed at the hospital before being sedate for surgery and thinking wow it's really here and it's really going to happen geez that was quick....I can't believe I am here.  How funny now looking back at all that worrying and it seemed to be over before I knew it.   It is a bummer that you have to go through all that stress but luckily it will be over sooo soon.   Again Good Luck and God Speed.
Lynn 
39 y/o
9/04 Scope/Modified Fulkersons/LR
chondromalacia grade III&IV/Osgood Schlatters Disease/Arthritis (right)
03/03 Scope/removed screws & scar tissue/LR (right)
09/04 Scope/LR (left)
10/06 TTT/VMO advancement/LR (left)
12/06 Diagnosed w/RSD

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2007, 02:38:09 AM »
Bri:

Totally with ya. Easy to get the last minute jitters... because this is pretty invasive stuff.

Not nearly as invasive as these bad knees would be to our lives and our futures (long term suffering and frustration).  If we don't get them fixed, we cannot stay in shape and get the cardio we need to be healthy... and if we cannot get the cardio, we end up dying young, feeling miserable and being unhappy.  Either we step up and take control, or we don't.  Pardon me for saying it, but you don't fit into the latter category.

Like I said before... Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.    If we weren't equipped to handle this, the big man would not have handed this to us.

There's glory in a little suffering. 

Bring it on.

Rob

brianne

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2007, 03:47:08 AM »
Rob,

I agree with you completely.  That is the main reason why I said last August that enough was enough.  I had a problem with my knees that I knew could be fixed and I needed to buck it up and get it fixed.  I am so glad that I got it fixed.  For the first time in 12 years my right knee doesn't hurt at all.  I am ready to go for Thursday.  As you said...bring it on!  I am ready to take the final step in reclaiming the active life I once lived.

My faith has played a huge part of my recovery.  I told myself back in August when I knew I was facing a difficult road, "how do I glorify God through all of this."  I have sought to glorify God throughout this entire process.  He is in control of everything.

Are you going to be kept overnight or not...or do you not know yet?  I was kept overnight after my first surgery and that was a very good thing.  I'll be kept overnight again with my left TTT.

I figure my knees didn't get bad overnight and so a few weeks of pretty intense pain is nothing compared to relief from the pain.  By six weeks after my right TTT I knew things were already much better.

I am testing my cryo cuff right now and I love it.  If you don't have one...get one!  I didn't have one after my first TTT and I am so glad I bought it for my second TTT.

Lynn,

Thanks for the response.  I am so sorry to hear that your RSD is still giving you trouble.  I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have to deal with the RSD after a major surgery.  It sounds like you would be in good shape if it were not for the RSD.  I'll be praying that things begin to clear up for you with the RSD.

Brianne

Offline RMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2007, 03:58:47 AM »
Bri:

I agree with everything you said there. 

I really like the part about reclaiming our lives. I really do feel the same.

I will not be spending the night Friday. I get the surgery at 0700 hours and will be released that evening.. or if I wish, sooner.

My Dr. ordered me the cuff and already gave it to me along with the immobilizer.  I am set.

He knows exactly what he is doing... for which I am grateful and because of which I am all the more confident in his care.

I also have three kids (daughters all) who will be watching me go through this.  My wife is preparing well for me.. the dear that she is.  I am lucky to have her.   I need to show them all that this is do-able in case I have passed this same issue on to any of my kids.  A little extra motivation for me to take this head-on and show them how it's done.

I admit to getting jitters for about 30 seconds earlier this week.  Pushed it away.

support