Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has it moved??  (Read 732 times)

redtoblack

Has it moved??
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »
Is it possible for the patella to shift more laterally due to having plica removed?  My OS removed (what he called) the three main bands of plica in my knee when he did my partial meniscectomy due to them being inflamed/damaged.  Now that I have been exercising more and the swelling is almost gone, my patella seems to be positioned more latterly than it was.  There is an obvious difference between my right and left knee.  Is this possible, or is there maybe just some more swelling inside my knee that could be causing it?

Jordan

I also asked this question in The patello-femoral joint section.

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Has it moved??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »
Darn right it can move... mine did...  not because of plica removal but because of the change in biomechanics since my injury.  I went to see my OS because I was getting medial joint line pain in the "good" knee about 4-5 months after aclr.  Xrays showed the laterally mal-tracking patella.  The doc said that I had been using my right leg more, bad biomechanics had caused the quad muscles to develope unevenly...    his solution..  strengthen my VMO...  now when I get pain in the medial joint line I do VMO strengthening leg lifts. (toes pointed out).  It helps a lot.  Good luck.
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:40:25 PM »
I agree with Kai, Jordan,
It's probably a weak VMO that's causing the lateral maltracking. The VMO is the smallest muscle in the body and the last one to come back to full strength after surgery. A weak VMO won't be able to counteract the strong forces pulling on the lateral side of your patella, and the patella will get pulled off-track. If exercise alone doesn't bring it back, try asking about e-stim treatments. I've had them twice, and they worked well for me. They're the fastest way to bring the VMO back.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:24:05 PM »
I have read that sometimes the medial plica can act as a very weak medial restraint.

I have PF problems and have read many knee surgery books regarding pattella problems and if a plica is deemed as a major pain generator it is almost always removed regardless of pattella tracking.

I agree with the other members that a good effort should be made to strength  your VMO.

It should improve your situation.

redtoblack

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:55:26 PM »
Thanks!  I will start working on the VMO and hopefully that will help.  I'm glad it's not something that I did to it since the surgery.

Jordan