Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PERONEAL NERVE Recovery - Diary - Help  (Read 1550 times)

Offline daveybc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PERONEAL NERVE Recovery - Diary - Help
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:24:37 PM »
I'm a 28 year old halthy male who was attacked New Years eve by a group of gang members (no joke) and stabbed several times.  One of the stab wounds is to my left leg; the side, right above my calf.  Apparantly it cutmy Peroneal Nerve and it is severed 90%.  I'm having surgery today at the UCLA medical center with a fantastic doctor (dr. Neil Jones).  They won't know the exact extent of the damage until they cut me open and take a look at it all but they know there is going to be some sewing of the nerve going on. We're having a nerve sewing party!! (i'm trying to be upbeat).

Anyway, as of right now I have no feeling on the left side of my ankle and the right side of my foot around my big and second toes.  I have foot drop.  and it just all hurts very very bad.  I can wiggle my toes, or at least point them DOWNWARD (all of them) but i cant point them up, nor can i point my foot up except for about an inch. 

I guess I will have a long road ahead of me considering they say the nerve needs to regenirate and regrow all the way down my leg.  and it grows at a rate of about an inch a month.  that's a long effing time.  and that is IF it works.  I'm not that young compared to the teenagers that i have read about so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what te outcome was.

I'm looking forward to reading, talking, writing to everyone out there and any and all help, advice, and encouragement is very much appreciated.  I'm pretty scared and nervous of the surgery and of just the fact that I may never walk properly again.  :(

Happy New Year everyone.

Offline christina-Leeann

• Regular Poster
Re: PERONEAL NERVE Recovery - Diary - Help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:41:36 PM »
'm sorry to hear about new years.. I guess it didnt start off to well for you. Good luck on your surgery. Make sure you follow doctors orders 100% and do Physical therapy and I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Good luck in your surgery again. Keep us posted and let us no what happens..

*christina

BTW... What happened to the people that did this to you? if you dont mind me asking
Continous PT for 3 years
LR- R 02/06
More PT for 8 months Post-op
TTT- R 12/13/06

Offline daveybc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 08:14:19 PM »
So UCLA medical center called me last minute and said that my doctor had to be rushed in to an emergency surgery so I had to be pushed to Monday morning. Sigh.  I had just gotten myself mentally prepared for it too.  Now I have an entire weekend to worry and stress. 

As for the guys that did this to me... nothing has happened to them yet.  They were 6 "cholo" gang members and they just walked away afterward it was all over.  I got up and walked away, unaware I had been stabbed and just figured i had the sh!t kicked out of me.  As I walked down the street I realized I was pouring blood but was too pissed/worried/focused/dazed to bother looking down at myself and just tried to make it home as my girl was yelling and screaming for help and trying to get me to just sit down so she could try and help me (they didnt touch her by the way fortunately).  I finally had to just lay down on the sidewalk and my gf started flagging down some help and applying pressure.

Anyway...the police are looking for the guys and investigating and trying to obtain the video from the gas station right next to where it happened.  So keep checking youtube for the footage.  I'm sure it's bound to show up there. :P

So no surgery as of yet.  The foot and leg still effing HURT.  I get this sensation every now and then in my foot...kind of tingly, painful, and somewhat feels like "stuff" is just ripping inside my foot.  Not a good feeling.  And oddly, my thigh on my other leg gets really numb and begins to hurt as if it's freezing cold or something.  it's weird.

i'll keep people who are itnerested posted as i progress.

Have a good weekend.

Offline daveybc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
So I"m not sure if anyone is reading this but it gives me something to do since i am completely immobile for a while.

Anyway, I ended up having my surgery last Monday (8 days ago) and I have to say that I don't wish that kind of pain on anyone.  well..maube the guys that did this to me.  okay...not maybe...definitely.  Moving on.  Turns out the cut (stab) was worse than the doctor thought.  the peroneal nerve was cut in two places.  Apparantly it brances out right under the knee and splits in to two nerves.  One side was cut halfway through, the other was completely severed.  Also I had an artery severed and my muscle was cut halfway through.  So the doctor sewed all that together and said it went as well as it could possibly go.  Now I'm in this big ass aluminum foot/leg brace that keeps me from moving the entire leg and foot. 

When I woke up it hurt like a *(@*(#@.  I stayed at UCLA for two nights and then went home on wednesday where my parents are taking care of me. Anyway...as of now a good majority of the pain has gone away.  however, whenever I get up to use my crutches, the weight of the brace weighs down my foot and leg and it literally feels like the cut the doctor made is tearing apart.  I know it's not but it hurts bad.  So I try to stay off the crutches as much as possible.  So I do a lot of just laying here in bed, which isn't that bad if you love doing absolutely nothing for 24 hours of the day.  I'm not a big fan of it so i'm going stir crazy. 

I can wiggle my toes slightly and have minor dorsiflexion (REAL minor) in my foot.  i'm not sure if it's any more than I had before the surgery because before the surgery my leg and foot were so bruised and hurt I couldnt move it at all due to the pain.  I do feel like I have a little more feeling in my ankle and toes. 

the doctor said I get the brace off Jan 31st as long as I take care of my leg and stay off of it till then.  And then the road to recovery begins.  I'm not really sure what to expectin terms of mobility and dorsiflexion and movement and feeling and what not and the doctor says we will have to wait and see till the pain subsides and the actual surgery has healed. 

all-in-all it's pretty annoying and stressful and discouraging to think that I may never be the way I was before this all happened.  All because of a bunch of chicken-sh!ts that need to use knives on people to make themselves feel tough felt like being punks.  Despite the fear I have, I really try to stay positive and think that if ANYONE can completely heal from this type of thing it is me.  So I'm staying positive.

Sorry to bore everyone to sleep.

Adios for now.

Offline Run262

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:51:38 PM »
What a story. I'm sorry this had to happen to you.

Please, keep posting and let us know how recovery is going for you.
2/04 - Diagnostic scope suspected meniscus tear - normal healthy joint found. L knee
4/04 - cortisone shot L knee - two weeks later, the portal scar tissue during re-hab broke up! All is good!
8/11 - Lateral meniscus radial tear - scope - L knee

Offline swibgirl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 08:42:27 PM »
I am so sorry for you injury!  I am happy your alive though!  So much worse could have happened to you because they ARE cowards and cowards don't have any rules!

Please post on your recovery!  I hope your doing better now.....

It's a long haul but you made it this far so keep going!   :) Good luck

support