Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help with rehab  (Read 677 times)

Offline Mrhavasu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help with rehab
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »
 Hi all, new here. Had my allograft Acl, microfracture and menicus repair done on 12-11-06.  My Dr is very
conservatiave on rehab "because of my age". I am a 43 yr old male. I first damgaged my knee when I was 18,
had surgery, no acl repair done. Problems ever since. Had microfracture done again 6 yrs ago, no acl, crutches 6 wks.
Dr would not do acl, said I need to slow down. My new Dr that did my acl who is aggressive on treatment says
I have to be on cruthes for 6 weeks, will not let me do much of anything in pt, and said I did not need a cpm machine.
I also have not been able to straighten my knee since my surgery at 18.
My Dr said he had to force it straight during surgery to do the graft and that I should
be able to regain a straight leg again. I play hockey, ride dirt bikes, do water sports and go to the gymn. I do not run,
hurts to much. As long as I do not run or crash, I do not hurt. Is my rehab to conservative? My leg is wasting away and I
am going crazy not doing anything. I have read the pros and cons of microfracture and more aggressive rehab. Not sure
what to think, What do you all think? I have gone to the gymn a couple of times and rode the exercise bike on level one just
to move my leg and get the blood flowing. Thanks in advance. Terry

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
Re: Help with rehab
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:14:02 AM »
Let me start with I am 45 Female and had my right knee microfractured.  I was 8 weeks non weight bearing after my microfracture March 2006. I did go to  PT 2 or 3 times a week to work the quad and to work the leg extensions and bending. I can agree that it does get very boring and the days seem long with not much to do. I was able to ride the exercise bike at week 7 and rode for 10 minutes. The reason the OS had me non weight bearing is to give time for the cartalidge to grow without the rubbing of bone on bone.  After a follow up sugery last week, this area is the only good part of my knee. No driving, can't do anything for myself, sounds rough, but I would do it again to get the cartalidge to grow.  Now I am dealing with a huge chip out of the knee cap and it pinching the new cartalidge and how to save that area.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery time!
Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline Mrhavasu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »
  Thanks for the reply Tena. Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your knee. Its hard
to be patient, but I guess thats what I have to do.
Terry

Offline hntndaylight

• Regular Poster
    • Ironheart-Images
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 04:54:58 AM »
I hear you with your frustrations. Im on very conservative rehab too, just now almost 2.5 months post op can I go to active assistive ROM PT (up from assistive ROM). I did get 28 days in a CPM, doc said it was of questionable value in my case since I would be on such conservative rehab but since my main goal short term was driving a tractor (cows gotta eat) and a car (I gotta work) he though it was warranted.

Both my OS and PT (not connected at all, even in different cities) reminded me that the procedure for ligament and/or menisicus used to be hard cast for 12 weeks, then 2 years of PT and gym time. But that it worked.

Since I went up in PT first of the year I noticed more heat and swelling than any time since 1-3 weeks post op. I'm at slightly over 90 degrees ROM flex, normal passive extension, and enough quat strength to walk short distances without crutches or a brace after 21 visits to PT of mostly esim and quad sets. Their thinking is that the heat and swelling of advanced PT in a hornets nest of a newly operated knee would invite scar tissue if one is not super dillegent to following the protocol. Most of us, me included probably wouldnt have. As soon as I could get out moving around, I slacked off on ice and elevation. They told me thats where train wrecks happen but as long as I can get 0-90 and have a free knee cap in a stabilizing knee then we can deal with any thing crazy that wants to start happening.
40 years old
R. k. ruptured PCL, MCL, tibial plateau fracture, and  double  meniscus tears in farm accident, Oct 15, 06.

Reattached/repaired scope and open knee surgery Oct 27, 06.

R.K 'clean up'  meniscus, plica, scar tissue, arthritis with scope Dec 28, 2007

Absent ACL found Dec 28, 2007