Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please could someone answer my question  (Read 2046 times)

Offline zoe499

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please could someone answer my question
« on: January 04, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »
Hello

Im new to this site but need a knee question answered.

My son who is 12 and very sporty, he had a triple jump injury in june 2006 which ended up being a trip to the hospital and ended in having an xray...this showed up nothing. Since then he has had problems with his knee swelling, causing lots of pain and stopping him playing sports..

we have seen a consultant and he sent my son for a MRI scan. The results from the scan stated that his ACL was rather thin but intact. The PCL is intact and no other problems were reported. The consultant has written to me stating that he has some concerns about it. Could some one help me with this as i dont really know what to tell my son..He is still in lots of pain and is now getting quite worried about the fact.

Many thanks

Zoe

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Please could someone answer my question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »
Zoe, what is the consultant's concern..does he think everything is healed but your son still have pain ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline zoe499

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »
Hi Nettan

well when we first saw the consultant he looked quite worried but then sometimes they look like that all the time...It just says in his letter that "Although the report suggests his ligament is still intact, I have some concerns about it"... In the report its says "the ACL is rather thin but intact"

My son is in a lot of pain with it it swells up on a regular basis especailly after sports...it is affecting his schooling and also his football (which along with rugby is his main sport)

I have now got the appointment brought forward as the pain is getting silly and it swells on a regular basis, I would just like some advise on what to tell my son.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:59:04 PM »
My son is also 12 year old..I would tell him like it is. He's big enough to understand and you can't hide that from him. Then he also get explanation that the pain isn't in his head and that everyone take him seriously.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline zoe499

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
hello,

I have told him about the letter but he would like to know what might happen and the more i read about it the more it looks like surgery....which isnt a problem if it sorts it out but i dont know if im telling right..... from what i can make out it could be partially torn.....what does this actually mean??? The more i read the more im getting confused about what it is or could be

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 06:06:21 PM »
Before you tell him call the consultant and talk with him/her to get the right to say to your son.

Offline zoe499

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »
well trying to get hold of the consultant let alone talk to him is a task in itself....i have tried it and have been unable to to talk to him or have anyone help me which is why im on here....

What im finding hard to get round my head is that if the ACL is rather thin does this mean that it could tear completley if put under a small amount of pressure??? CAn they do anything for a rather thin ACL??? and what does rather thin actually mean does this mean he has partially torn it or what??? and why is he in so much pain???

My son knows everything i know about it but i just cant answer his questions...and i would actually like to know what it means too.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 07:56:06 PM »
Hi Zoe,

Do you live in the UK and if so is your Son seeing a NHS OS or a Private OS, I know that Private OS's can see you and treat if required quicker then a NHS one.

Nick :) {2007} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:46:16 PM »
Zoe ~ Has there been no recommendation from anyone about your son having PT to strengthen the leg muscles? I just doesn't seem right that you should have no guidance in this matter. But since that's the case, you have to advocate for your son. Is he icing & elevating & does he have a brace of any sort? ... Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline zoe499

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
Hello

Nick
I do live in the uk and if i could afford or if i had private insurance i would go private as i know how quickly things get done, unfortunatley i dont so am stuck with the NHS..

Ellie
I have had no recommendation for pt....but i do do these exercises with him at home....so his leg muscles are quite strong... We have been using ice packs on a regular basis at home and also he has used them at school when it gets too bad for him....he has been wearing a knee support for some time but this still doesnt seem to help....I have had no guidence with what could happen or what is wrong which i find really bad....i know what i would be like if it was me and i know he is 12 and that he needs to know things but when i dont understand whats wrong how can i explain anything to him.....he is getting quite worried about the fact that he thinks his footballing/ sporting days are over, (even though i have told him that he will be fine and its not that bad)...this is his life and with kids being the way they are this day in age i think its good that there are still active kids out there..

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:01 AM »
What a frustrating situation for you, Zoe. I do wish you well & hope you can reach someone for answers ASAP...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:42:08 AM »
Zoe, he needs an appointment ASAP os you both know how things are.
I don't think sports and dancing are over for him at all. But he needs to get under treatment.
I know this with kids and injuries. My son goes in a sportsschool and they has sports 5 days a week+ he plays soccer,skate, go by inlines, play golf and snowboard.
He has had some minor injuries with foot and hand and I know how frustrated he was.
The thing you can do know is to be on the phone every day to the place where he have been to see a doc to get an appointment or a least a phone call back.
Best of luck !! Please keep us updated.

HUGS NETTAN  8)

Offline zoe499

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
well i have managed to move my sons appointment to next wed... which is good now all i have to do is write down questions cus i know once i get in there i will forget...

Thanks for all your advice... you have been a great help....I will let you know how he goes

Zoe X