Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fear of the inability of OS  (Read 1258 times)

Offline ermintham

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Fear of the inability of OS
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »
hi jus needed this thread to calm myself down b4 the next visit to my OS>

im now 6 weeks post aclr. rom is not good...abt 100 and definitely not zero degrees extension.

the main point is most of u live in places where there are good doctors who knows abt arthrofibrosis. as i live in singapore, and searchin the web abt doctors in sg who know abt arthrofibrosis is like searching for a needle in a haystack. as of now i still cant find any. im worried my OS will ignore wat i said and most of u will suggest to me getting a second opinion. (that's where im nt sure where to go). so i jus wanna hope that my OS knows abt it. and can solve my problem.

i wanna be normal (imsure everyone does) not becoz of sports....but i wan to be able to walk on the streets without a limp. im gonna start university life and i dun wan to be limping my way. that's the thing that is scaring me..gosh..i hope the os can really help me out.

ermin
28/6/06 motorbike accident
31/8/06 scope to clean up the knee
16/11/06 ACLR
12/05/07 Diagnosed mild baja, ACL rupture due to malpositioned graft
1/6/07 ACLR revision

Post-op Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36990.0

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
Re: Fear of the inability of OS
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:48:54 PM »
I understand your frustration at not being able to find an OS who will listen to your problems. AND I understand your worries about having the os not listen to your problems. I have had that about 6 of the 8 OS's I have had. One even went as far as to tell me I was making it up!!

But...there are great OS's out there. AND dont be afraid to MAKE your OS listen to you. You are paying him/her alot of money. In the case that your OS doesn't know about arthofibrosis you are well within your rights to ask him where to go next. trust me OS's know about their felllows. I have a combination of conditions that scared 2 OS's from one of the worlds best hospitals from wanting to take me on as a patient. BUT they were able to point me to another OS who would take me. It took me a few tries but I finally found an OS who was HAPPY to take on my case (and even then he tried to send me to a OS 4 hours away who had more expereince in my condition) but I told him that I wanted HIM to do my surgeries. BUT I would have NEVER found out about him if I didn't ask my OS who they would recommend. also just because a OS's website doesn't mention a condition that doesn't mean they aren't interested or even know about a condition. My OS never mentioned on his website that he does these procedures (because they are so rare) so it could be that they only list the conditions that MOST PEOPLE have so don't let that deter you from trying an OS. Because you just never know!. the best thing you can do is call the office and talk to the people there. They have a much better idea of what type of cases the doc. will take on. When I first called my current OS (whose webstie never mentioned anything about my condition) and explained my problems I asked them...will he take on my case? the response was "of course! He loves a challenge!" I would have never known that had I not called. turns out he was the OS who is able to finally help me out.

And about your limp....I understand. I have a nasty limp. (I look like a zombie or frankenstiens monster when I walk) BUT it can be a great way to start a conversation as long as you don't get too upset with people asking about it. It was the ice breaker between me and my boyfriend! (he has a limp as well)

I wish you the best of luck.

Daisy

Offline ermintham

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »
hey that's quite a post. haha...yea i will go for the wait and see approach. he seemed to know abt arthrofibrosis when i spoke to him today. altho he wasnt the normal doc i am seeing (mayb my own doc was on leave), i shld give him the benefit of the doubt. i m usually paranoid abt little things. well, will strive harder for my Physio. and by 6 mths im nt okay. doc says he will give me a posterior capsular release. something i hope to get.. i can feel the scar tissue mass at the back of my knee.
28/6/06 motorbike accident
31/8/06 scope to clean up the knee
16/11/06 ACLR
12/05/07 Diagnosed mild baja, ACL rupture due to malpositioned graft
1/6/07 ACLR revision

Post-op Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36990.0

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
Hi Ermin

You might wish to think on the lines of finding a competent OS in Hong Kong - not a long way for you.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon