Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bi-lateral scope and LR provisionally booked for 13th Jan!! - CANCELLED!!  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Well, I finally have a date - only 'pencilled in', but pretty certain!!! It's January the 13th - luckily it's not a Friday! :-\

Will be have a bi-lateral anthroscopy for sure, and possibly (a high chance!) a LR on my right knee! Sounds like great fun, what a way to start the new year!

I wasn't really that scared before, it wasn't reality, but suffice to say that I am now panicking big time! Only had about 3 hours sleep last night because I was too busy worrying about it!

I am really worried about the anesthetic, and about lack of mobility afterwards. Is there anyone else who's had this done? I have a big list of books to buy to fill my time!

I'm a competitive swimmer and am also concerned about how long I'm going to be out of 'the loop' - any suggestions?

I'm really scared about the forth coming doom, I was thinking I'll be pleased to get it done, but now I'd be quite happy to chicken out!

Any advice and helpful tips would be very welcome indeed! :)

Giglan
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 02:35:18 PM by Cei »
Bi-lateral anthroscopy on 09.03.07 - severe damage to both knees.
Diagnosed with Osteo-arthritis in January '08 - advanced in right knee and beginning to spread to hip.

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Hiya Cei, long time no hear.

It'll be fine!! Just be prepared to work at your exercises immediately afterwards as this helped me. My consultant said I was way ahead of the game as i was so mobile when I saw him.. felt very chuffed! The other thing I can HIGHLY recommend. If you can stretch to it (mine's 1 a minute! 1st appt - an hour then half an hour a time afterwards) find a physio that has a LONGWAVE ultrasound machine - it reduced my swelling loads and works better than normal as it penetrates bone etc and goes right through the joint.

I'm back to work on Monday which will be a HUGE shock after 6 weeks off! Still can't kneel (can on bed for a few secs) or squat. Going to try swimming tonight - I need to lose shedloads of weight - need to get moving! The swelling has pretty much gone now and the scar is healing well. Gets achey when still for too long but that's to be expected. OS said a lot of people feel bad for 2-3 months and the knee returns to normal again at 4 months. My knee is still worse than before I had it done but I have no more subluxing or catching - it feels more stable. It's great! Think it's just the arthritis that's sore. Having xrays in April to check that it's all where it should be.....

Don't worry (haha) it really isn't as bad as you will be imagining. Much better to get it sorted. I am happy that I had it done. The OS said he was surprised at how 'wonky' my knee was. If I had left it I guess it would just have gotten worse and with a worse outcome. We are popping down to Wales on the 13th so will send happy vibes your way as we pass on the M4!!!

Take care - hope you had a good holiday.

Itigo xx
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
Look on the bright side. It's not a Bilteral knee replacement or spinal surgery like I'm having on January 8th. Unless you have severe arthritis or another serious problem you should heal rather quickly but forget about getting all those books. You should be moving around and exercising not laying around reading. Knees do not heal themselves without our help. It won't do you any good to get all upset over it, you need to get some sleep or you will be weak for the surgery and that is not good. Try some Tylenol PM or ask your doctor what he thinks.  I have major major surgery coming up in a few days and how I'm dealing with it is trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about it.  That's how I've dealt with all 14 of my surgeries. I listen to music at night as bed time is the hardest. I have a CD player next to my bed with relaxation music, It's amazing how much good it does. I hardly ever dream if I play the music. I may restart it several times a night if I wake or find myself dreaming. I wish I could turn back the clock to the scope days, but instead my surgeries are getting more serious.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Giglan,

I agree with what Itigo says..........everything will be fine and you will need to be diligent with your exercises. I am sorry that LuckyGrandma decided to trivialize your surgery, that was completely unnecessary. Everyone gets nervous before surgery; no matter how many they have had.......it is only natural. Try to keep your mind occupied with other things............stay busy. And those books are a good idea, you will need time to rest the knee, allow it to heal and to ice and elevate it.

I have had bilateral scopes with bilateral LRs. The first week was tough to get around and I thought that it was the dumbest thing that I had ever done. The second week was much better and in the end I was glad that I had them both done at the same time. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a personal message. Take care and good luck!

Patty

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Absoloutley gutted!

It's been cancelled!!!! Have no idea when it's going to be re-scheduled, it's really messed things up for me. >:(

Will be good to chat with you though Patty, will do so when I've calmed down!

Giglan
Diagnosed with Osteo-arthritis in January '08 - advanced in right knee and beginning to spread to hip.

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
How annoying for you.

Itigo x

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Was both pleased and annoyed when they called!

Mostly annoyed though! Have cancelled a hloiday, made arrangements for all my patients in work, plus my Mum and Boyfriend have booked time off to help me aswell. It's messed everthing about. Now I just have to sit around until I hear from them again, but they couldn't even give me a rough idea about when it would be. Hopefully, I can take it that I am now at the top of the list and that it won' tbe long, but who kows with this nhs trust!

Hope you're doing ok Itigo - Happy New Year!  :) xx

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
Happy New Year to you too!

It is a pain. My job share partner had a surgery cancelled just before Christmas for a week which meant that work had to pay out more for her replacement who was covering my sick leave too! Job share couldn't claim sick leave yet but the replacement was ready so unfair to cancel her.

I wrote to my PALS office about my physio and they have replied with a very sensible letter. Apparently the request made for my referral to physio was never delivered to physio and as a result of my letter they are making some changes. They have apologised but funnily enough haven't offered to pay for my private physio!!! The only thing that bothers me now is that they have had my notes out - will they have blackmarked me for moaning?!!! Don't want to be on the wrong side of my OS! The letter wasn't very strong, just truthful.

I hope your date comes through soon. Sorry about the rather short message before - insipration left me!

Itigo xx

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Giglan,

I am sorry to hear that your procedure was cancelled, especially after making all of the arrangements for your patients and cancelling your holiday.  I hope that you can get in soon and get your knee issues resolved.  Let us know as soon as it is rescheduled.

Patty

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Am so fed up!!!  :P

Have been ringing and ringing the orthopeadic unit to try and get some more information about when my op is going to be rearranged, but I'm just getting passed from post to post and not finding out anything! I've beeen given 8 numbers to ring so far! I've left numerous messages on machines and if I am lucky enough to speak to someone they say they'll call me back but never do! I was passed onto someone else again this morning who was supposed to call me back within an hour, but that never happened - not that I was surprised! If I keep ringing I think I'll be done for harassment!

I work for the trust myself, and i would never ever treat any of my patients like this. The lady I spoke to last week was unbelievebly rude, telling me that I was "very silly to presume it would be going ahead!" I was in too much shock to say anything back!

It's really annoying and disappointing now. My life, and others, is on hold at the moment. We're supposed to be going away, but can't make any plans, my Mum and boyfriend booked time off work but had to cancel it - but can't rearrange it as we don't know when, and I'm messing everything about in work as I can't commit to anything and I'm not giving my own patients the best care.

I've also been in constant pain with my right knee since just before the beginning of the year, and in the last couple of days I've had to go back to taking painkillers again everyday, which I really avoid doing for as long as i can.

Am really fed up with this now.  :-\

Giglan

Offline Giglan

• Regular Poster
Re: Bi-lateral scope and LR provisionally booked for 13th Jan!! - CANCELLED!!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:19:52 PM »
Tried to get some more information again today, no luck!

Although I did get to speak to someone rather than an answer machine, but all they could tell me is that it will definetly be by the end of February to meet the Welsh Assembly Guidelines! Never mind guidelines what about my knees!!!!!

Am not fed up today, just angry!!!  >:(

support