Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: total knee replacement verses total leg replacement  (Read 5465 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: total knee replacement verses total leg replacement
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 07:56:09 PM »
Hi craig

Firstly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with how you write - you do not come across as sad or desperate, you actually sound very level headed to me - nobody said I was normal though ;D

Secondly, I absolutely agree with you that knee pain is better than back pain - I have had back pain for a couple of weeks in the past - it is horrendous so I fully understand where you are coming from there.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I don't think I could go through amputation without first trying out a TKR - that is def a risk worth taking - lets face it if you are gonna end up in a wheelchair without it - then hey It has got to be a very good risk.

Of course the biggest problem is finding an OS - Why not write to every OS in the country who has a lot of experience with TKR and arthrodesis - got to be worth investing the time there.

I can honestly say that I had absolute trust in my OS to do his best with me - I was his youngest ever TKR - although I am not that young! 43.  If you want his name and address I would be happy to let you have it - he is a younger OS, about 40 - but is incredibly highly rated within our health auth. - I know that as you have to wait so long to see him and he did excellent surgery on my son - hey it is worth a try to ask as many of these very skilled men as you can!

I know that whatever you decide you will put yourself 100% into a good recovery - that does come across very well - lets face it you might as well sit in a wheelchair if you are not willing to put the work in!

Take very good care of yourself
anj x
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
Be aware however that amputation will not fix back pain either. My friend is an above the knee amputee, and she has a lot of back pain, even when she takes the prosthetic off and gets around on crutches. Apparently, as an above the knee amp, you can't bend your knee when you're walking (not 100% sure on this, but that is what my friend told me). Sure, you can bend your knee to sit down, but when getting in and out of cars, she often has to physically pick up her leg and put it in. A prosthetic is also heavy, hers weighs about 10 pounds which is a considerable amount when you think that its' held on by a suction to your residual limb.

I would say take every available option before going for ampution. It's not a cure for anything, and brings about with itself heaps of other problems. So if you have to do it, do it as a last resort only. And realize you';ll still probably spend a lot of time on crutches, especialy in the beginning, so you'll need to get good at it. Good luck, and I wish you well.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 09:10:32 PM »

You know many of the younger OS's are willing to look at your quality of life.   The big picture.  Do you have the will in you to try the TKR with an open mind?  Or are you afraid it will fail and you will be back at the same spot?  Personally,  I'd try for the TKR.   Chopping off one's leg is really drrastic and I can picture your state of mind that you have had it up to here with all the knee crap

Offline Kneemo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 12:44:06 AM »
Modern computerised prosthesis not only bend at the knee when you walk, but calculate and anticipate your next move, speeding up or slowing down etc...  Extention of the leg is then carried out by the prosthesis, by way of computerised hydrolics.  Although they do come at a cost of about 25,000.  Im not rich but hay its only money and not much more than the average person spends on a new car.  As for my back pain, I have recently had nuts and bolts put in my spine to fuse two of my lumber vertabre and I have another cracked disc, that has been supported by rubber plugs to protect it.  The pain I have now is according to my back surgeon, due to my everyday life with an arthrodesis, the pain is pretty much constant, unless I sit in a chair all day and do nothing, which is out of the question as my active mind is only in sync with my body when I am active and not the other way round.  My spine is constantly over streached, even though I have very flexable hips.  I have already found a surgeon who understands my predicament and has agreed to speak to his mentor, who is a cutting edge knee surgeon at Stanmore hospital, he said he will do the TKR if I want it and if it doesn't work, he will gladly amputate my leg. I have also been to a top osteopath in london who has given me the name of a surgeon, who according to him is the best in the country, so I am going to check him out too. You are right I have spent many years with plenty of challenges along the way (especially working on the roofs for the last 17 years and also adapting my martial arts to suit my pysical capabilities).  But none of this has any bearing on my decision to sort this out once and for all.  Each one of my three problems (both knees and my back) causes difficuties with the other and it is sorting this one that has the potential to help all three.   Again I have to say all your comments are being taken on board and are very much appreciated. 

Peace and love Kneemo.
Ruptured ligaments R/K including 4 arthroscopies leading to arthritis (1982)
Shattered tibial plateau including 18 assorted operations leading to Arthrodesis (fusion) of the left Knee. Now awaiting possible amputation.
Prolapsed disc's L4 and L5 now fused and scaffolded with nuts and bolts.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:29:53 AM »
hey Kneemo - cool name - I am fishy wishy mad and have two nemo's! lol

You really are looking into this well  - good!

25k - this would prob be the best investment you would ever have to make in your life - and worth every penny - I would prob spend double that - it's only money like you say - two years wages out of  prob average 45 yrs work - what a good investment!

take care and keep us updated
anj x
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 04:08:32 PM »
My friend got the most modern leg available, the C-leg, and in the US, it's costing $100,000 plus another $15,000 for this skin that goes over the leg to hide the prosthetic and make it look more natural. So in all, it's probably around 55,000 pounds, no? Still, you do want only hte best. My friend is lucky because insurance covers most of it, and she's getting a multimillion dollar settlement from the accident, so the money wasn't really an issue, but even if it was, it's your leg, you want it to be good.

I'm not sure if the cost is different in the UK or not, but if you do get an amputation (and please dont' do it until you try all your other options) make sure you go to a good prosthetist. You want somebody to make you a good fit. It the cup is off even by a little, you'll get a lot of wear down on the residual limb, which can lead to infection and just give you more mess. Good luck with everything.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline syllabub

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
Dear Kneemo/Craig
Thank you for your reply to my post in my thread about biological clocks and amputation as a future pain mgt option.  I haven't logged on to this site for a while and so have only just read this thread on a similar topic. Might I ask one question out of curiousity, how on earth do you manage to climb ladders to do roofing.  I have employed a few roofers lately and they seem to suffer with their knees after a certain age.  I cannot really climb up to inspect their flashing, so I just squint at it from down below.  It sounds as if you less mobile than I am so do you haul yourself up by the arms.  Do you do  martial arts to maintain the upper body strength to do this?  Having wobbly legs I am very reluctant to tackle heights and have trouble keeping upright on terra firma so I am envious when I watch how acrobatically roofers typically scale up and down scaffolding. 
This plus the fact that you have also had a large family would suggest that your mobility problems have not impeded your lifestyle choices in any way and this is to be congratulated. 
I know of a chap with a prosthetic leg wiho has an active outdoors job, which means he wears them out more often than someone would with a more sedentary career.  He complains that as well as incurring additional expense, he constantly has to take time off work to go for fittings.  Alas, I suggest you factor this into your financial calculations.

Best of luck with both of your knees. Syllabub

Offline anshi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 05:00:07 PM »
hi knee deep
 i have the similar case like u i have fused knee at 17 bt it was natural after my accident as my knee got infected and i dnt have any option yet im 21 yr i wanted to get married bt condition like this were my knww is straight all the time its hard to walk the stairs and running a s i was a good athelete befor my accident i dnt know wat to do i have been told tht i can go for tkr bt i dnt knw is it possible or not or as it is safe and after that will i still limb im very much wooried as im now loosing hope and dnt know wat to do i wud apperciate if any one read this can guide me and gave any os refrence with whom i can discuss 
tke cre