Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stairs, stairs  (Read 804 times)

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Stairs, stairs
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:02:52 AM »
Hi,
 I was wonder if how every one deals with stairs. I broke my patella in half with fractures in the bottom half. My OS placed a wire around my knee. It has been about 4 months since my accident and now I walk with a cane sometimes. My problem is that in my house we have semi steep stairs. I walk up ony a few stairs now one at a time. If I try to walk any stair normally I have a sharp pain in the side of my knee. My concern is that our bedrooms are upstairs and my family has been sleeping in the living room with me. Now they want to go upstairs and I don't blame them. I am just afraid of walking down the stairs in the morning. I also have a 17 month old that I would have to get down the stairs to go to work and take her to the sitters. What should I do?
Thanks,
Julie  :)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Stairs, stairs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »
Hi Julie

Stairs are a problem encountered by anybody with a knee injury - going downstairs is an ongoing problem which quite frankly, you will not be able to get resolved.

Make sure that you hold onto a rail to give you some support and take one step at a time.

I made the decision some twelve months ago to sell my house and purchased a ground floor flat.

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »
John,
 Thanks, that is one solution my husband and I have been thinking of. We are slowly starting to prapare of house to sell. Hopefully we will be able to soon. Thanks for the advice.
Julie

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »
Hi Julie,

I agree with John.  Stairs are just a problem that there is no good way around.  After surgery I go upstairs at the end of the day and down with my brother or husbands help in the morning.  The only time I see my upstairs if for a few hours at night.  Once I'm down I'm down.  Up for me is the worst, down I can come down on my butt or leave myself enough time.  It can take me several minutes to negotiate the steps.  Unfortunately for us moving is not really an option, I love my house and hopefully will be stair worthy soon so for now I stay downstairs.  Good luck and be careful - don't rush.  Nothing is worth falling or causing another injury to our knees.  Take care - Deborah

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:17 PM »
Deborah,
 Thanks, yes we have come to the terms of leaving but $$$ is always a factor. We have a very old farmhouse, so it is small and with a growing family. My main consern is my youngest and my husband goes to work earlier then me. I am going to test the waters this weekend and see how it goes.
Take care,
Julie