Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regrowing synovial tissue? anyone heard of this?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Regrowing synovial tissue? anyone heard of this?
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:31:55 AM »
Hi everyone. My OS told me that he thinks that my synovial tissue has regrown again. I cant give anymore information than that at this time because I was so shocked that I failed to ask any questions. I have my questions ready for the next time that I talk to him and that will be around January 9th.
My question is, has anyone else had synovail tissue that regrows over and over again? He may mean that my scar tissue is back or that my plica has regrown for the third time but he specifically used the term synovial tissue so I am not sure. I cant seem to find any information on regrowth of synovial tissue on the web and I would like to do some research if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? comments? I cant wait until I talk to him again so that I can get some answers, this is driving me nuts. Does anyone know of a way to stop the tissue from regrowing? This would be my 9th surgery in 5 yrs if I agree to another one (I told him no the last time that I talked to him  ;D). I wont agree to another surgery until I cannot stand the pain any longer but I would like to know what is going on in my knee.
Any ideas or advice would be welcome.
thanks
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Regrowing synovial tissue? anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:05:56 AM »
Hello Missy,

Sorry your knee is giving you difficulty.

It's been a really long time since the 'synovial tissue' discussion has come up. My understanding is that synovial tissue is different from scar tissue and plica, but some OS use the term when what they are talking about is scar tissue, some OS use it interchangeably for scar tissue, and some use it to mean the real thing 'synovial tissue' aka synovium,  so it creates a lot of confusion. Here's a link to an old thread where it was discussed (I know there are others but this is the only one I remember right now)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=22779.0

I don't know if this will help clarify things for you or not. I'll see if I can find some of the other threads.

Best wishes,

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »
Thanks Jaci, that thread was very informative. I am so anxious to talk to my OS about this next week. It is so frustrating to know that I will need yet another surgery in the not too distant future. I know that you understand that one LOL.  At least this tissue is not interfereing with my ROM, guess that I have to look for the good in otherwise bad news.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lohalloran

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
Not sure if the synovial tissue will regrow itself, but it will def scar over. My meniscus tore away from the connection the the synovial membrane and folded into my knee joint. The surgeon said it was the 2nd time he had ever seen this type of injury and he elected to tack the menicus back to the synovial membrane and close the tear in the membrane. He then scuffed up the synovial mebrane so it would form scar tissue and hold the meniscus and politeal tendon in place.