Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: three surgeries and still getting worse  (Read 942 times)

Offline chelsea21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
three surgeries and still getting worse
« on: January 01, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »
Im new on KneeGeeks. i'm sixteen and a total athlete. I ruptured my acl and tore my meniscus march 2006 playing softball. i had aclr and meniscal repair april 2006. had arthroscopic debridement, manipulation, and a lateral release june 2006.  possible arthrofibrosis. i have had trouble with my extension since about a week and a half after the reconstructive surgery. i just had a third surgery on december 20 for debridement. before this third surgery i had a ROM around 18-125.

until three days ago i was at 10-130 and everyone was pretty happy with that so far because of my usual ROM. but now, it seemed like overnight, my knee tightened up again and i'm at 15-125. this has been a hugely depressing thing for me because a month ago i was playing basketball and all of a sudden i was going into surgery again. i keep getting let back into my life and then abruptly get thrown right out. I am a sophomore in high school, and all of a sudden i find myself too busy to live my life.

i go to physical therapy 7 days a week, twice a day again, and work on my knee the rest of the time. my grades in school are suffering, i haven't hung out with my friends more than ten times in the last 9 months, and i find myself getting out of shape. before, i was an A-B student, always gone doing sports or hanging with my friends, and i was totally fit and strong. right now i feel like i'm not myself. since i've been slowly losing my friends, it seems like i no longer have anyone to really talk about this with. that's why this whole thing sounds like its been stuck inside me forever. I realize that there are people on here that have it so much worse than i do, i just needed to let this out so i can find a way to fix this and get my life back.

my pt thinks that there may be a possible cyclops lesion with my new acl, but isn't sure because he thinks my OS would have seen it when he went in last time. any feedback on what i can do to fix this whole extension thing would be great! or on any other matter.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: three surgeries and still getting worse
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »
Hi Chelsea,

Knees can be difficult.  I know a lot of people struggle with extension issues.  Is your knee braced at all?  Bracing would be one way to help with the extension.  What do you feel is blocking your progress, pain or will it just not extend?  I agree with yout PT, in principal, if there was a cyclops lesion it should have been seen on Dec 20th.  However, some OSs will go in with a specific purpose and will not give the knee a through exam. 

Have your thought about seeking a second opinion? 

You seem like you are depressed.  Please feel free to contact me if you want to talk.  My IM screen names are in my profile. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »
Hi Chelsea,

I'm really sorry to hear about your knee. You have been through a lot. I'm 18 and have had 3 surgeries myself, though for kneecap problems instead of ACL. It is hard to miss out on everything and not be as independent as you are used to. I don't know anything about ACLs, but you might consider getting a second opinion, if possible.

Keep your head up!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline kmmbradley

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
My son is only 20 and has just had his 7th surgery on his right knee, and 1 on his left. I feel so bad for you and he both.  It is such a hard thing to have your life so totally blown apart by your knee.  My son was a pitcher who had the Pittsburg Pirates looking at him until the knee fell apart.  He is still trying to pull himself up but I know it is hard.  Just put your attention to becoming a good student and looking toward college.  High school sports is just a small blurb in your lifetime.
Dee
2002-arthroscope w/debridement(rt knee)
2003-arthroscope w/debridement(rt knee)
2004-arthroscope/ACI biospy(rt knee)
2004-ACI(rt knee)
2005-arthr. debridement & meniscus repair(lt knee)
2006-arthroscope-debridement

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »
Hi Chelsea,

I know nothing about ACL issues but I can hear how sad you are about not being able to do the things you could before this.  You said you are losing your friends.  Maybe this is so but I'll bet they don't realize how imporant it would be to you for them to come hang out with you.  Everyone is busy, including you with PT and just getting better.  But, maybe you can set up dates with your friends - go to dinner or lunch or just have them come over and hang out.  Even if it was once a month it might help you keep in touch.  You will probably need to be really with clear with them how important this could be to you.  Its hard, because we don't want to be demanding or sound like we're whining but guess what - be demanding and whine if you feel the need.  We're entitled.  Sometimes I've thought people should know what I need and guess what - unless I tell them sometimes they don't.  So, call your friends, tell them what you need from them.  I bet you'll be surprised and they will come through for you.

And, you know this is a very good place to vent.  The support on this site is amazing and everyone here understands what it means to have our lives changed, even if it is hopefully temporary.  So vent away and say whatever you need to say.  

I hope that you start getting the ROM back, if not keep up with your OS or as others have suggested maybe its time for a second opinion.

Take care and let us know how your doing.  Deborah

Offline chelsea21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »
thank you all so much for the feedback. my mom, pt, and i have been talking about seeking a second opinion. we're just not sure how to go about it. i live in Alaska and this surgeon i have is the best knee surgeon in the state. we've been in touch with the doctors at Vale, Colorado. HOpefully we can find a way to work that out. they're talking about maybe keeping me on an epideral for a few days until i can keep it straight. when my knee is being pushed on, it's like i can't even control my muscles. they will tighten even when i myself feel totally relaxed. that's what it feels like is holding me back on extension.