Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Back and more bad news!  (Read 965 times)

Offline kmmbradley

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Back and more bad news!
« on: December 31, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »
I am sure most of you remember my son Matt and all his knee troubles.  As I told you last week he had to have another scope.  Our new OS seems to be a terrific dr, not much of a bedside manner, and he really tells it like it is.  We need a salvage expert and I think we have found him, some of you already know about him, Dr Frank Noyes in Cincinnati. 
He went in to look at the ACI that was done by another Cinci dr a little over 2 yrs ago and found it to be a failure so he cleaned up the small bit of film that had attached and drilled a few holes and is letting it rest for now.  He took another biospsy for the carticel.  He was not sure if carticel still had his biospsy available for another ACI so he is checking into that. 
It turns out that this 2x4 lesion is the lesser of the evils.  He has 50% of his cartilage under his kneecap gone.  I guess that can't be fixed with carticel.  He is hoping to take some tendons and stretch and tighten them to take the pressure off the side that is worn.  He said that is a major procedure and will be at least 8-10 weeks, non weightbearing.  Sounds about the same as the ACI, doesn't it? 
Anyway, if any of you have any thing that you can tell me about this procedure I would be so appreciative for your great advise.  Again, my son is just 20 and is going away to UK in the fall, if that is even going to be possible.
Dee
2002-arthroscope w/debridement(rt knee)
2003-arthroscope w/debridement(rt knee)
2004-arthroscope/ACI biospy(rt knee)
2004-ACI(rt knee)
2005-arthr. debridement & meniscus repair(lt knee)
2006-arthroscope-debridement

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
Re: Back and more bad news!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 01:39:44 AM »
Hi Dee,

I am sorry to hear what Matt has to go through.  I went for my biopsy on Thursday and the new OS didn't even bother taking the cartalidge. It appears the only good part of my knee is where the microfracture was done in March.  He said under the knee cap is totally shot and there is a big crater there. Of course, I am trying to recall our post surgery conversation. I have not gone through what Matt is and don't know what he should expect. I will go Friday to see what the story is with me, lookis like only option is TKR if the unloader brace doesn't relieve the pain.  I wish Matt and the family the best.

Happy New Year,
Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline kmmbradley

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
how old are you Tena?  TKR such a big surgery if you as young as I remember you being.  Matt also has a hole under the kneecap, why can't they do the lateral release or the other patello movements on you?
I need to do some major research and would appreciate anyone who has had a surgery like this to please advice.
Dee
2002-arthroscope w/debridement(rt knee)
2003-arthroscope w/debridement(rt knee)
2004-arthroscope/ACI biospy(rt knee)
2004-ACI(rt knee)
2005-arthr. debridement & meniscus repair(lt knee)
2006-arthroscope-debridement

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:04:47 AM »
I am 46. I believe the reason they are looking at the TKR is because the deteriation was so quick on my knee. I never had any problems until December 2006 and there were no injuries. Like I said before, what I am saying is what I recall right after they woke me up in recovery. I will know more on Friday.  From what I hear, the TKR's today are much easier than 5 years ago, and according to my OS, the TKR is less recovery time than the ACI.  I will try the unloader see how that works to see if it relieves the pain.
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope