Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: can anyone interperet an MRI?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline skeetport

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
can anyone interperet an MRI?
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
I had a very loud pop as of ast week.  I got an MRI and have the disk, but can't return to the doc until next wednesday.  I have had reconstruction on this knee several times and so am very anxious to know the results.  I have looked at the images and see some grey in the pcl, and also on a coronal view there is what appears to be a bundle of strings hangingfrom the jointed area_btween femur and tibia.  Does anyone have experience with MRI interpretation?  Just enough to give me an idea of what I am looking at.

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: can anyone interperet an MRI?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:45:45 AM »
It amazes me that you can expect to be told how to interpret an MRI on a previously operated knee over the internet. Would you expect to  learn how to do neurosurgery the same way. Radiologists train as long as neurosurgeons in their specialty. Did you not get a report with the scan? There is no reason not to let you have this-phone the radiologist and ask if you can have a copy.
Regards
Paul
www.uk-radiology.co.uk

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
The place you had your MRI sends to a radiologist to review. They normally have a formal report written up the next day.  I suggest calling the place you had your MRI and ask them if you can pick up a copy of the report.

I can understand that when you have the scan done people like to know what is going on and have reassurance that someone understands what is going on with your knee and to help you cope with the journey or lack of journey you will go through.

Your OS will go over the films and tell you what is going on and help you with a " Plan of attack" or outline what steps you will have to take to get back to good.

I know it's hard over the holidays . On the main page of this web site there is a diagram of the knee and knee bits.

Offline skeetport

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »
thnx for the advice, although I already knew that.  I guess I was hoping for some big hint I didn't already know.  I have had 5 aclr's and numerous meniscus repairs as well as carticel.  I know just enough to realy get confused and am terrified of repeating the nightmares I have already endured.  Anyway,...will let yu know what it actually is.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »
Even if it is bad news you will know what to expect and will do your best to recover.   Last Jan 2006 I had chrondroplasty with drilling into the femur.  I knew as soon as I woke up from the surgery that I would need a knee replacement and I tell you the recovery from this first operation was long and hard and utterly nerve racking.     Dec  6 2006 -  I had my knee replaced and expected a horrible recovery much like the first.   I am thinking it is a easier recovery from a TKR than  chrondroplasty with drilling into the  both condoyles (femur). 
  Least your not on your ass waiting for something to "take" and your pretty much on your feet the next day and there only earth shattering pain is from trying to get up from the sofa.   Infact I believe I been in training for my post op of the TKR all year.    Maybe this is why I feel its an easier recovery.   Anyway ..  Two surgery's for me  in 2006 was enough.. and I hope I am done with my right knee for many many years.

The joys of rolling on to your Tummy  15 days after a knee operation is so uplifting.

Offline skeetport

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:11:39 AM »
Came home from the doc, and the consensus is 2 major meniscus tears and a possible(fuzzy ook on MRI) re-tear of the AC.  I guess when I asked for an opinion I was hoping to altar the "bad" feeing I already had.  After hearing that "POP" I kinda had an idea.  After all, 4 ACL's, I should know.  But I guess ignorance is biss!!!

Anyway...thanx for all the help, and I wil let you know...surgery on Tuesday the 9th

Skeeter

support