Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee pain  (Read 1004 times)

Offline JETD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain
« on: December 29, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »
I am on vacation in Europe so I dont have many options.  I have been active running or hiking about 3-4 times per week for about 8 years, without any injuries ever.  I was in Rome, and as I usually do in a city new to me I walked many many kilometers for 3 days stright.  In the late afternoon on the 3rd day I started to feel slight knee pain on a scale of 5, 8 when going up and down stairs in both knees, at the top.  I rested well that day, and on the 4th day I was walking fine with no pain.  While in a museum, I was constantly going up and down stairs, and the pain was back and worse than ever around a scale of 8, and not only on the top of both knees, but also on the outside of my left, which is where most of the pain is at then and now.  I walked about 2 kilometers more that day, with many breaks in between, and was in a lot of pain when I got back to my hotel where I rested my knees for about 18 hours straight.  The next day I felt stiff, and some pain, but not much and I walked very little.  However, I had to walk somewhat fast about 100 meters to catch my train without pain, but after falling asleep, when I arrived after 2 hours, I could feel the pain had returned, and then had to walk for about 15 minutes to get to my hotel and then once inside up and down stairs.  By the time I got in my room, I was in extreme pain, and I laid in the same position for 15 hours.  Today I felt much better, until I had to get out of the hotel, and once again climb up and down the stairs.  Then I had to walk about 20 minutes again in severe pain mostly in my right knee on the outside, with some on top of both knees.  All of this was with about 25 kilograms of baggage.  After checking into my new hotel, I went to sit at the park for a few hours to rest, which was right down the street.  I felt better when I returned to the hotel, but I know something is not right.  I think it is from overexerting myself in Rome with all of the walking but I dont know, I only hope.  Do you think there is a serious problem, and as I have 20 days left on this trip some which will be spent at the house of friends where I can rest.  But I dont know if I should just go home, or put up with the pain for a couple of more days until I can rest for about 6 days at a friends house.  Thanks

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: knee pain
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »
Sounds like you have overdone yourself totally. I doubt you have any injuries except for overuse injury.
What shoes are you wearing ? That can be one issue helping you getting better. If you can try elevate and ice your knees and get some antiinflammatory meds. I would continue the trip but try take it easier.
Best of luck..hope you like Europe.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: knee pain
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 01:35:34 PM »
Hi,

It sounds to me as though you've just overdone things. Maybe RICE will ease the swelling and pain. Is there any reason why you can't see a doctor before you return home? Or maybe visit a pharmacy where you can purchase a knee support (tubi-grip or ace bandage) until your holiday ends. At least then your mind will be put at rest until you get back to your own doctors back home.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation