Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Jumping On Trampoline - OUCH  (Read 13633 times)

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Jumping On Trampoline - OUCH
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 05:06:55 PM »

If it is a complete tear the tear itself will not heal, but by strengthening your muscles you maybe able to avoid surgery if your knee is stable enough to permit the activities that you participate in. If you particcipate in sports that involve a lot of pivoting or direction changes you may not be able to gain enough stability without surgery. But, as your doctor said you will not know until you complete a course of PT.

When you go to PT ask for a few instructions on the crutches to make sure you're using them properly. Get yourself a back pack or bag with handles. Put food, water and drinks in sealable containers and carry them in the pack or bag. I just use a small paper handle bag (I think I got it at Starbuck's) and place a kitchen towel in it to keep things upright. No big deal. When you're in the kitchen slide things along the counter rather than trying to carry them.

Good luck.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 08:14:07 PM »
Marilyn, it seems we do have similar injuries. I have to be honest and tell you that I really don't think (unless you have quads the size of Lou Ferrigno's--you remember him--The Incredible Hulk) you can avoid reconstruction, wouldn't that be nice? Especially at our ages (still considered young/healthy) and activity level and with the other damage you have sustained, this would all equal YES for reconstruction. Your leg is very unstable right now, it is going to be very very difficult for you to build quads, you must work like a dog just to maintain what you have right now. You are definitely on the right track through. Pre surgery rehab is essential for a successful ACLR. And I am a few months ahead of you and can tell you yes, it's a long road, but it does get better IN TIME.

Now something to make us laugh...

Every time I would see one of the mommies from my son's school or church or prayer group or at the park or store, I have to explain that I hurt myself playing basketball. They just look at me like you what???? I am 39 years young and I admit I behave like I'm 19. But YOUR story!!!! Jumping on a trampoline!!!! That's GREAT!!!  Oh, we have to laugh here.... That IS a GOOD one. You're gonna get so tired of retelling it but it's funny to get people's reactions. The mommies I know could care less if they ever broke a sweat and ran again and here I am praying I can finish that 2 on 2 tourney I started 3 months ago. Come on, we gotta laugh about it sometimes.

Hang in there!!! You are NOT alone!!!

Oh, and here is my goofy little nutrional ritual.... I drink lots of orange juice now and water, I even take Vitamin C and of course the gloucausamine and chrondroiten stuff found in most joint type supplements (ya know, the ones you didn't think you'd need till you were 60!!! haha). I am also planning on bulking up (yeah right) by eating more tuna, protein, maybe even buying some protein shakes.) If you want to see something interesting go over to www.bodybuilders.com and search ACL and see how many of them came back STRONG from ACL reconstruction. They are like, NO BIG DEAL. It's nice to go back and forth from here to there just to get a healthy overall perspective on things. You got to admit there is something to weight lifting and protein. I want Lou Ferrigno thighs!!! haha. Sooooo just kidding, but I do want good muscles now before I could care less. This injury sure makes you think of taking care of yourself better and that is a good thing!

By the way.... definitely get insurance. ACLR isn't cheap. Where I live, it's about $25,000.  :-X

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:27:18 PM by celinenj03 »
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline marilynhope

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 04:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the info.  No Lou legs here but I do have a fairly muscular leg - used to have two of em.  What should I expect, a few weeks of therapy and sometime I will see if I can stand.  I hope I won't have to experience that awful knee leg slip (when it falls off the leg)?  Ouch.  I just can't even think of standing at this point.   I guess therapy will hopefully make a big difference.  I looked online at rehab exercises and thought I would try to begin in advance of my appt.   Anyway, I have been doing some knee slides and I can almost get my knee bent up to the other one.  My husband wasn't too impressed, when I said "hey look at what I can do...."  He said "you better work on that".... (Great encouragement!)   No chicken soup for him when he catches cold!   :P   

Jaci, The backpack idea is fantastic.  My kitchen is a disaster as I pull items and leave them.   I can put all kinds of goodies in the backpack for my day upstairs in my room.....Last night I had a plastic grocery bag attached to my right hand with a necessary sip of wine in tupperware, napkin, bottle water, and a future snack.  I have 17 stairs to get to my room and when one item is left downstairs it is then unwanted.  I don't enjoy the trip up and down and the bag is really a burden at my side. 

I am going to get on some great foods and supplements.  Who knows what helps but I am going to try everything I can.  My husband is leaving me for two weeks to go back to SC (the injury site) ha!  I will eat well, rest with Lifetime for Women movies   ;D  and work on my rehab and hopefully upon his return I will be as strong as Lou! 

My trampolinist dreams are over (ha-at 44!), Celine you are so right, my daughter is 19 and she thinks it is time I grow up and stop with the scooters, tryke, and activities I didn't do at her age.  Guess I like those things now as I wasn't too active at 19 myself.  Darn, just when my interest in skiing has begun, I think my knee will say "give it a rest". 

I am going to make my trip downstairs and do a few heel slides and raises and that should pretty much max out my daily activity.  The funny thing is that my right knee is hurting now....sympathy pains or too much weight on that guy? 

Thanks for great information and fun humor also.... ;D 

Great Day To Ya'll! 
July 2006 ACL recon, Lateral Release, Meniscus Trim of Left Knee
December 27 2006 Twist of Knee, Possible Reinjury?

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 06:38:36 PM »
Don't listen to your daughter, get out there and enjoy yourself, obviously once you've recovered ;D You could wind her up by using your time to look for new sports to take up.

TC
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 07:32:12 PM »
Marilyn, when I was at your point of post-injury my OS arranged to have a brace delivered directly to my home. I couldn't really get around too well if at all, without it. It really made a difference in my life I mean at least I could go up and down the stairs and live a sort of normal life minus all the activities. My first brace was a Breg, but I don't remember the exact model. It was the hinged one that goes from your hip to your ankle. Yeah, real attractive.  ::)

But you do not have an mcl tear, so I don't know if it would be wise to brace or not, but I would definitely check with the doc and if he says yes, have him arrange to get you one right away so at least you can ditch those crutches.

I just remembered my mother in law after I told her my results of my MRI... She said, "wow, you really did a number on yourself" haha.

Offline marilynhope

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 12:27:14 AM »
Well that brace sounds lovely.  It would be a huge help.   I am having another problem today, after trying to straighten my leg flat on the couch my knee cap or lower knee has a sharp pain.  Great, another pain.  I still have not walked and my right knee is hurting by hauling my shapely butt up the stairs...ha-ha.  Never thought much about weight but I am going to diet as my hands hurt too.  The MRI said there may be minimal tear but it was inconclusive.  I took that as only the ACL was torn.  Wish it wasn't completely torn.  Sounds like you go through therapy and that prepares you for surgery. I looked at some surgeries online and I am such a chicken....that can't happen.....I am sooooooo afraid to have my knee cut/drilled/poked, etc.  It is a constant horror in my mind.   :o  My Dr. wouldn't let me have a brace until after PT on Friday.  I may beg after that.  I am moving myself downstairs to sleep in the guest room.  Enough stairs!  Do they make that brace with a stilletto heel?  ;D 

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 01:23:40 PM »
Marilyn,

Gosh, reading your posts is like reading my own diary. Good news is your arms will get very strong and look quite "cut". People have commented about mine already. I use them so much to compensate. The bad news is the other knee is doing more and you can tire it out. I notice that I probably have a slight meniscus tear in my good knee but nothing major, I am just aware of it and being careful and icing that knee sometimes too. But it really isn't anything compared to my bad knee of course.

When my OS first told me very matter of factly, I would need surgery to get a new ligament I was like okay, so be it. Thank God at least it can be fixed. THEN..... I came home and looked up everything on the computer about the drilling and the screws and the grafts and I freaked out. I cried hysterically like a baby I was scared to DEATH!!!! Then I met several people who had it done and overall they said it wasn't so bad. The only unpleasant experiences I ever read about were on this forum.

Sure there is going to be some pain and discomfort but you soon find that after you live like this for a few months, you get to a point where you will welcome the opportunity to fix what is broken and be normal again! Especially when I know of so many people who's ACL reconstructions are a distant memory and they are functioning normally and doing everything they ever did before with no complications or restrictions.

My surgery is is 3 weeks and so far I'm not terrified. :) All I keep thinking is that by the end of July I'll be somewhat normal again I pray!!!

Offline marilynhope

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Jumping On Trampoline - OUCH & FALLING OUT OF BED - OUCH!!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 08:14:59 PM »
Well, I had my surgery for an ACL allograft recon., meniscus trim and lateral release back in July of 2006.  Last week I felt like I could brag about how well I felt & how strong I was and doing strength training and only one more PT appt.  Wow, what a good time that was - bragging. 

Two nights ago I was on the edge of my rather high antique bed talking with my husband and I actually slipped off the bed with my rehabbed leg left on the top of the mattress.  I was twisted on the floor and could not move my leg from the top of the bed.  Rather funny to think about the position yet the pain was not so funny.  He helped me to put my leg and body both in position and I walked and thought all was okay FOR THE FIRST FEW MINUTES.   :o  It was very painful on the outer knee area and joint area of the knee. I had to move downstairs back to my old rehab area of the  house and put ice on it and went to sleep.  The next morning my leg could not bend or stretch out flat.  It was not really swollen yet very painful.  I could walk slowly but without bending.  I went to my PT as my Dr is on vacation and she could not determine if I reinjured my ACL yet the tests were painful with side motions, pulling on the lower leg and ROM.  She said it could be a reinjured ACL and/or meniscus.  Today (after two days) I am walking yet still slowly, can raise my leg and can press down without pain, side to side without much pain.  I cannot bend it and can't walk normally.  The knee has a little mushy look on the outer side and is painful in the back.  I feel as if it is improving.  I was told to stay off it, ice it and rest (as we are all so used to hearing). 

I see my Dr. on Wed. and my PT mentioned a MRI can't be done due to the screw in my knee.  Is that what she meant, no MRI can be taken? 

Does any of this sound like a meniscus problem?  Could it be a type of sprain or is it always a tragedy such as a reinjury or new injury to be expected?  Guess I wanted to hear that my knee is very hardy and a sprain could be the problem and rest will make it all better.  I am not sure what to feel with a meniscus injury.  It seems as if I would experience a lot of pain when doing leg lifts.  I guess the bending motion is the most painful and it only bends about 45 degrees with pain and then I stop. 

Well I never thought I would be back in the knee guru as another injured party but I am glad you are all here.

Happy New Year to Everyone,
Marilyn

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 11:05:02 PM »
Hi
it's likely to be something else i think. If you had done something like this before ever hurting your knee in the first place, would you be worried or would you be giving it a few more days yet?  Really sorry to hear that you hurt it again. It's what we all fear the most!

By the way, I did have an mri on my recon knee about 1 year post op. Yes, the screws distort the signal a bit, but there was no doubt that my reconned ACL was still there and attached. The MRI was not as clear as it could have been but it was useful.

Hoe you feel better soon.

xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05