Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Braceó is it worth the $$$??  (Read 1031 times)

redtoblack

Knee Braceó is it worth the $$$??
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »
I was trying to find a knee brace to help me get back into sports a bit quicker and came across one that looked interesting.†

For joint support after arthroscopic surgery, a built-in inverted horseshoe foam pad provides anterior knee compression. Medial/lateral stays offer additional stability.

Itís a fairly basic support brace.† Iím just not sure if it would do any good.† I guess Iím just looking for some input if it would be worth the $35 to have it.

Thanks!!!

Jordan

I know you can see it below, but here is my Knee situation.
6/í06 partial tear ACL(RK)
11/'06 partial meniscectomy and plica removal(RK)

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Knee Braceó is it worth the $$$??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:50:11 AM »
Jordan ~ I'm not sure I'd be willing to trust a brace like that. When I was being fitted for a custom Townsend brace, the person who was fitting me said that as good as this brace was it was still not guaranteed 100% to hold the knee. If the hinges in what you're looking at are as lightweight as some I've seen on OTC braces, they won't do for serious sports...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
Have you discussed getting a brace with your OS?  Since you have a partial ACL tear, it would not be out of the question to ask about a derotational brace.  Even with a brace you need to be careful about returning to sports, make sure you have proper muscle control.  The best brace in the world cannot compensate for weak muscles.  The muscles are what is going to support your knee the most.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

redtoblack

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 02:34:01 PM »
My OS sucks as far as any follow up/ getting on with it is concerned.  I've asked him a few times if I should see a Physical therapist or be using a brace and all he say "if it hurts don't do it".  He's a great surgeon and that's about it.  About 90% of his patients are over the age of 60, so, for most of them, just being able to walk around is a huge deal.  I donít think he has any idea how to deal with someone athletic.

Jordan

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 03:25:42 PM »
Maybe it's time to look for a new OS if you are having problems with your current one.  Partial ACL tears are tricky to rehab, and generally if conservative treatment is undertaken it is under the guidance of an athletic trainer or physical therapist.  If changing OSs is not an option, I would insist on at least a physical therapy consult.  At least a PT would be able to advise you on if a brace would be helpful in your situation and could set you up with a home exercise program. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

support