Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Education/ training  (Read 7178 times)

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Education/ training
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2003, 09:04:41 AM »
Bachelor's in English and Journalism
Master's in Guidance Counseling

Taught for 20 years, before going into education-related sales. Now I'm a sales rep with a crutch! :o

LizL  
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2003, 05:52:45 AM »
Hi Liz,

I'm a bit slow around here sometimes...I think this thread got away from me.  Did you teach secondary ed?  I somehow didn't realize you were a teacher.

Are you a slaes rep for an educaton company--seems like a lot of teachers go that route.  We have had folks who come and sell to us and wine us and dine us and they are all former teachers who seem to be really knowledgeable educators.

I don't think i could sell ice water to folks in #ell--so I can appreciate anybody who does that work let alone enjoys it.  I'll bet the crutch makes you more memorable--lol

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2003, 01:01:09 AM »
I graduated from Reno High School in 1985, the height of the Reagan Era, so I went immediately into business school at the University of Nevada, Reno (go Wolfpack! lol).  Graduated in 1991 (it was a lot of work to squeeze that 4-year degree into 6 years when working full time).

Anyway, spent some time working on my career, got married, had children, then started back for my MBA in 1996.  Started working for M&M/Mars and was relocated to Los Angeles in the last semester before completing my MBA.  Started again at Pepperdine University but was relocated AGAIN before finishing.  By the time I actually get the dumb thing I'll be the worlds oldest living MBA candidate.  Currently working on my CMA/CFM as well.

Everything else I've learned has been from experience.  lol
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

Offline Renee31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2003, 05:00:21 AM »
I graduated from high school in 1985 and then on to nursing school earning my degree in 1990. I specialize in geriatrics and hospice patients. Even though I have a degree in nursing, orthopedics is not my strong point. :)

Offline Maz

• Regular Poster
  • Knee pain, Knee schmain
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2003, 05:41:34 AM »
All,

Cow milking sounds fun.

BEng in Mechanical Engineering with Management and French in 1993 in UK.
Prof Chartered Engineering status 1996.
Post graduate marketing qualification 1997.

Now a project manager in product development in USA.

Bored yet? :D
Maz

PS: Really wanted to become a singer, or own a cafe-come-bookstore. Not sure what happened!
Mazzy
LH Tib Plat Fx June 02 w/ 9 screws, plate and syn graft. Meniscus rep + shard removal Jul 02. 9 wks NWB. Cane-Jan03. Flex/ext OK. strength OK. H/W removal Aug 03

RH ACL recon Jan 94 now OK

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M &amp; L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2003, 07:46:03 AM »
High School - 1988
College - 1992
Grad School - Completed all but thesis by 1994
Law School - January 2000
Ohio Bar Exam - July 2000, results posted November 2000

Profession - Attorney in practice for almost 2 1/2 years

Khaoskat

Offline JenJen03

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2003, 12:44:34 AM »
Ok mine is going to be short compared to others!  I just graduated from Merion Mercy Academy (high-school!) in June!!!!  I will be attending Saint Joseph's University in the fall!!  I will be sutdying (ok i can not spell) elementary/special education.  And i am enrolled in the 5 year masters program!  I am excited so i hope it works out!

~Jen
18 years old -- bi-lateral (both knees) LR on  8/8/02, Synvisc injections in May of 04  and still in major pain.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2003, 07:31:14 AM »
Sylvia,

Sorry, I just realized I hadn't checked this thread in quite some time.

I usually don't wine and dine anyone. My job description is "sales," but I actually do lots of training and service in my particular job. Sometimes I think selling ice water in a very COLD place might be easier than selling anything to budget-starved schools! :-/

In fact, teachers actually make good salespeople in many respects, because they are articulate, organized, and used to changing "on the fly." After all, you "sell" lessons and learning every single hour of every single day, often to a reluctant audience. In other ways, though, the dog-eat-dog world of sales and living on commission is a rude awakening, indeed.

As for the crutch. . . It didn't make an impression on very many prospects, as I could barely get around to see my customers. Limited mobility is a serious limitation in sales, as you can probably imagine.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2003, 02:56:22 PM »
Oh yeah and I am also training my own dog Boo as a disability assistance dog (also known as a service dog (in the USA)) to help me around the house and also out in public to help me and to help prevent further injury and pain (well hopeful she will stop people from bumping me etc). We have been working together on this since she was about 14 week old and she has been shopping etc with me now for about 3-4 months (she is 8 months old). There are NO assistacne dog trainers here in Canberra so it is Boo and I alone in this (we do attend an obedience school/club) and also do pets-as-therapy work in local nursing homes and disabled schools.
I am enjoying this work and even more looking forward to having her as a fully trained assistance dog to make my life easier and hopefully less stressful/ painful and with less injuries too.
Sharon (and Boo too (a Norwegian Elkhound).  ;D
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2003, 08:43:27 PM »
Hey there.  
Lets see- I went to HS in Boca Raton, Florida, and graduated in 1998.  2 weeks later I moved to Columbus, Ohio and went to.....you will never guess from my screen name........... Ohio State.  I majored in English and Business and minored in Spanish.  Right no, and this is kind of funny, in a strange way, I am a 23 yr old that works at a funeral home:)  Kind of sick.  Good money though- and much more importantly, GOOD INSURANCE.:)

Go Bucks,
Mel

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2003, 10:23:53 PM »
   I used to be an emergency medical technician in a hospital emergency room for 7 yrs. I quit to be a full time mom to my 6 kids.

I couldnt possibly work that job now with this knee.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Laura_S

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Bilateral Plica Excision-L Scar Tiss Removal-L LRR
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2003, 09:10:31 PM »
Graduated high school in 2001, declined a Cross Country scholarship to go to High Point Univ in NC...b/c I don't like the school and didn't want to run on Div. 1 level anyhow.  Applied early to Christopher Newport Univ (Div. 3) in Newport News VA (very close to where I live....too close lol).  Ran for CNU for my freshman fall semester (XC)...but got hurt at the very end of the season.  Been out since, and I'll be a Junior this year.  I'm going for a B.S. in Psychology, and possibly going to do the 5 year program and graduate with a Masters in Applied Psychology as well...not sure about that one yet.  And...after I graduate from CNU, my plan is to move to Tennessee...Knoxville hopefully...and continue school there.

That's about it...
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

support