Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee injury and not getting better, just getting worse  (Read 2088 times)

Offline volley9182

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
knee injury and not getting better, just getting worse
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:33:17 PM »
I have had 3 previous knee surgeries ( a scope, a transfer, and hardware removal). About 4 months ago I was in a swimming class at college and we were diving and My teacher yelled in the middle of the dive and I ended up slamming my knee into the diving board. I went to the emergency room, and I didn't have and breaks, but they put me in an immoblizer and crutches and told me to follow up with my OS. Well I got into my OS within a week. There was to much swelling at that time for him to tell anything, so he made another follow up appointment a couple of weeks later. I am not able to squat, hurts to work (I work at a hospital and am on my feet for 8 to 12 hours) I went back for my follow up and I saw his PA and she decided to get an MRI because of the pain that I was having. I went back a week later to get the results of my MRI and it showed that I have a small lateral meniscus tear but I also have a popliteal cyst. The doctor decided that he did not want to do surgery, but instead he wanted to do a cortizone shot into the cyst to try to dry that up. Well after the shot things just got worse.. At times I can barely walk, I still can't bend, I can't play rugby anymore, I can't exercise.. It just sucks.. Well after things got worse, I called the OS office and his nurser pretty much told me to suck it up.. I am 22 and I have had to completely change my life becuase of this injury. I have another follow-up on the 24th of January.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this, or what peole think.

Thank you,
Kelly
2000- LR on Left knee
2001- TTT
2002- Hardware removal
Feb 9, 2007- scope with lateral meniscus tear and popliteal cyst

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
Re: knee injury and not getting better, just getting worse
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 01:42:52 AM »
my knee got worse after cortizone too. But that pain went away about two weeks after the shot. Try calling your OS again to see if you can come in earlier, or maybe get a second opinion.

good luck and let me know how it goes

Offline volley9182

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 03:34:49 AM »
Thanks. My knee seems to be doing a little better if I don't wear heels (that one is really hard. LOL) and if I just stay off of it as much as possible... The only problem is is that the OS is golfing buddies with my dad.. I called his office once. This nurse never called me back and so the  next day I called them again and she finally called me back and told me to suck it up. That really made me mad that she had no compassion.. grr... I think I am going to wait until my 24th of january appointment since it really isn't that far away and if they don't listen to me, then I am going to get a second opinion. The only weird part is is the is PA was all about surgery, but he really didn't want to treat it aggressively right away.. Grrr..

Thanks for the support, and I am so glad that I found this site!!!
Kelly
2000- LR on Left knee
2001- TTT
2002- Hardware removal

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 04:37:30 AM »
i know how you feel on all of that....
1. i used to live in heels... didn't believe the doctor when he said they were a bad idea and learned the hard way lol
2. know our doctor very well... i even work for him... so when i got frustrated and couldn't get him to do what i wanted i felt quilty going to someone else
and
3. im verry impatient with people who don't understand what your going through... especially when they start saying things like suck it up or its all in your head (just because they don't realize how painful things they can't see can be)

please keep me updated ... and message me if you ever want to talk :D

amanda

Offline volley9182

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
Wow, it seems like we are going through the same things with the OS.. I know that he is a wonderful OS, I have followed him in the OR, and have met several of his patients and they say nothing but good things about him. So I have seen his work and know that he is an excellent OS. Maybe I am just being a little impatient. I am currently takind aleeve around the clock to help control the pain and inflammation. I guess maybe his nurse was the one that put the bad taste in my mouth. They aren't all bad, and I can understand why he wants to try ever other possibility before heading into surgery because he does know my dad and maybe because I am so young. But it isn't like I have a virgin knee. I have had 3 other surgeries before this. I was really looking to have the surgery done over christmas break (I get a month off from school) so that way I could totally heal and have time to recover before I went back to school. But now the next possible time to have it is over spring break which is the beginning of March. I just don't know what to think anymore about this whole situation..

Thanks
Kelly
2000- LR on Left knee
2001- TTT
2002- Hardware removal

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 09:02:32 PM »
Hi- Sorry to hear about your travails. The popliteal cyst is a result of the knee problem not the cause of it. It looks like the lateral meniscus tear is the cause of your pain and the distention of the popliteal cyst (assuming the MRI was properly interpreted). Its unusual to inject cortisol as this is short acting and it is more likely that a poorly soluble steroid preparation (such as Triamcinolone in the UK) has been injected. Because this is particulate it does initially irritate the joint and it is often worse for a few days. I don't know of anyone in the UK who injects traumatic knees (except for soccer players who only need their knees for 10 years or so of their professional life). Steriods don't cure the underlying problem and damage the articular cartilage. If you were 80 it might be justified to get you through for a few more years. Give your knee time to heal while doing straight leg raises to keep the quads strong. If its no better after 2-3 weeks then think about getting something done but if it were my knee I would rather live with it than have someone operate on it. Regards
Paul
www.uk-radiology.co.uk

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 02:52:20 AM »
Kelly, I am so sorry that you are going thru all of this, especially at such a young age. Just reading about you hitting your knee on the diving board made me cringe. OUCH.  I totally understand not wanting another surgery but I also see your point about living with pain. It really stinks that you have to change your entire life for a knee injury when you are so young. I would not let one nurse's bad mood turn me away from an excellent OS if I were you. If you dont have confidence in the OS, that is a different story entirely. It still would not hurt to get another opinion just for your piece of mind. I hope that  you get some answers and some help at your next appt.
good luck and keep us posted.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline volley9182

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 02:16:04 PM »
Missy- Thanks so much... I really don't want to change OS if I don't have to because he is an excellent OS and works a lot with knees and is very knowledgeable... I have another follow up on the 24th, so I am going to go to that and see what happens, and then go from there... I hate having to change my life, but really I have no choice about it.. And I really hate not being able to play rugby for my college anymore. That was my life, so hopefully I can talk to them about it and get some results...

I will keep everyone posted as things progress..
Thanks for the support
Kelly
2000- LR on Left knee
2001- TTT
2002- Hardware removal