Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post op update ugh  (Read 950 times)

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
post op update ugh
« on: December 24, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »
Have a great holiday everyone.  I have had a very eventful post op period.  I had my surgery on Tuesday.  Thursdat morning, I went for a post op check and everything looked fine.  About 4:00 thursday, I looked down and evertything was covered with blood.  I could see a steady trickle of blood from the incision site.  The doctor said the keep an eye on it and if it continued to call him back and get to the ER. About 7:00 pm, we called the doctor back and made the 90 minute treck into the city to the hospital ER.  He had called ahead and one of his residents saw me. I only had to wait about ten minutes to get into the er. When the resident removed the new dressing that we had put on right before we had left for the ER, it was saturated.  He called the surgeon who ordered blood work and admitted me.  Finally about 3:am, Iwas taken upstairs to a room on the orthapedic floor.  The doctor came by Friday morning early, before scrubbing in for another surgery.  He said that he wanted to go back in and clean everything out and see what is going on. By 10:am, they had me in the operating room again.  The doctor said that the sed rates were very high.  He said that some people react with high rates after surgery, I could have been fighting an illness off from before surgery or it could signify infection.  When he cleaned everything out, there were no fresh bleeders.  He thinks that there had been a hemotoma that burst and caused the bleeding.  He found a little brown inside, which could be dried blood or could be infection.  They cultured the stuff and started me on two different antibiotics ......just in case. The doctor said that the culture does not show any sign of infection yet.  They are going to let it grow out for at least two weeks to be sure.  The doctor is treating this agressively.  He said that if there is infection, the fact that we have started treatment within 48 hours is very positive. There still may not be any infection at all though.  We are going to monitor the sed rates and continue to monitor the culture.  If there is any sign of infection, then the infectious disease doctor will also get involved.  On the good side, there has been no bleeding since the doctor went back in and the incision site looks very good......no drainage at all.  This time there is a thin yellow antibiotic strip under the stalples.  It truley looks like they did put a zipper on my knee. After spending 48hours in the hospital, I finally am back home
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: post op update ugh
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:06:39 PM »
wow sorry to hear about all your problems but your doctors right... youre lucky you caught it early

how are you doing now?

goodluck,
amanda

redtoblack

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:15:11 PM »
Wow...I bet that was scary.  Hopefully it's all cleaned up and you are good to go now.  I'm sorry you had that happen.  Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery without any other problems.

Jordan

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »
5 days post op, nothing grew out of the culture so the doctor feels that there was never an infection.  Since the surgery site was cleaned out, the incission has looked very clean and there has been NO additional bleeding or discharge at all.  Of course the knee is still swollen and quite bruised looking.

I clutzed out four days ago and fell while using the crutches.  I now have a fracture in the head of the radial bone which is the bone that attaches into the elbow. I have staples going down my right knee and a splint on my left arm.  I can only use one crutch due to the elbow injury.  Luckily the knee surgeon said that I can weight bear as needed.  Never a dull moment
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »
Oh my goodness, Amy. I am sorry to hear about your rough go of it. Hope things continue to improve.
\
Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC