Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: weird noise in my knee!  (Read 1141 times)

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
weird noise in my knee!
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:46:15 PM »
i am a bit worried! everytime i straighten my leg there is this awful clicking/catching kind of noise inside my knee.  it doesnt hurt to straighten it but it feels uncomfortable and bothers me when i walk a lot.  i was diagnosed with a partial acl tear in july this year and have been doing PT at home since then.  Is this clicking linked to the acl tear or could it be something else? has anyone else experienced clicking everytime they straighten there leg after an acl tear?

please help!

Merry xmas and a happy new year!

ht

Offline camshere

• Regular Poster
Re: weird noise in my knee!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 04:39:03 PM »
Hi there noodles...

I have experienced the same. I have been told that it is probably just the scar tissue breaking up, and also the fluid buildup may be pushing things together. How long has it been? Do you have normal flexion and extension otherwise?

Merry Christmas to you as well!

CAM
10/26/96 - ACLR (patellar tendon autograft) and
                 meniscectomy -  R. Knee               
11/06/06 - ACLR revision (quad tendon autograft)
                R. Knee

Both soccer injuries

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 05:04:07 PM »
Thanks Cam  :)

I think its been clicking for a few months now but it has been getting noticabley worse recently, maybe since i got hit with a hockey ball but i am not at all sure.  How long has it been for you?  Yh as far as i am aware i have normal flexion and extension and i dont think there rae any problems there.  Is your flexion/extension normal?

ht

Offline camshere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 12:56:19 AM »
Yes, they are as normal as can be 7 weeks after surgery, I guess. Extension is equal to good leg, I have about 10 degrees to go for flexion.
I had surgery about 10 years ago and started having the problem you are describing much more noticeably the months before this most recent surgery. I think that since you haven't had surgery (I don't suppose), it is probably related to the partial tear AND fluid buildup. Have you inquired to your physical therapist? Sorry it seems like I write back every so often, just completely bogged down with work and PT these days...
Hope all is well and good luck.
                 meniscectomy -  R. Knee               
                R. Knee

Both soccer injuries

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
i am going to put it to my physio when i next see her but we dont meet often, she is very busy and has been on holiday lately but i will ask her as soon as i can.
do you think the clicking will go away over time by itself  ???

ht

Offline camshere

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »
I think it depends on the cause. If it is scar tissue and fluid, I think it will. If it is a tear it will probably need to be repaired to end the clicking. It very well could be related to the partial ACL tear; as I said, mine was much worse when I reinjured the ACL.

CAM
                 meniscectomy -  R. Knee               
                R. Knee

Both soccer injuries