Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice Sought ASAP--TruFit OBI Plugs Vs. ACI  (Read 1678 times)

Offline WithMTN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice Sought ASAP--TruFit OBI Plugs Vs. ACI
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:41:30 AM »
I have grade IV damage in my right knee...(medial side & trochlea)
For insurance reasons I won't elaborate on, I have a choice between getting TruFit OBI Plugs in a few weeks, or ACI in 4-6 months.

Any advice/feedback/thoughts would be most sincerely appreciated ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 07:52:16 AM by WithMTN »

Offline WithMTN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Advice Sought ASAP--TruFit OBI Plugs Vs. ACI
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:02:12 PM »
Anyone?

Additional possibly helpful info:

There is no misalignment

I had an ACL reconstruction in July 2004, and a small piece of plica removed in October 2006

I believe--re: size of lesions, it is small enough that I could have ACI performed

The damage was described to me as III/IV and "almost bone on bone": so I assume there isn't significant damage to the underlying bone...But it is painful...

The most significant lesion is in the medial side of the trochlea...

My choice is: TruFit now, at County-USC, or ACI or something else in 3+ months, after the pre-existing condition waiting period for my medical insurance has elapsed. County-USC won't perform ACI; they will perform OBI...

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:59:58 AM »
Does your OS recommend anything in particular?  I think you probably just need to do some research and then decide what you think is the best option for you.  Everyone is different and it's hard to compare one person to the other.

Good luck!!

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline WithMTN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:07:06 AM »
Does your OS recommend anything in particular?  I think you probably just need to do some research and then decide what you think is the best option for you.  Everyone is different and it's hard to compare one person to the other.

Good luck!!

Kristi

If you can suggest any sites which compare/contrast OBI and ACI, I'd be very appreciative.

As I noted, I have a choice between getting OBI now or ACI (or OBI, or pretty much anything) later, due to insurance reasons.

County-USC, where I am currently being "treated," offers OBI but not ACI. In 3 months, my pre-existing exclusion period for my knee will expire.