Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ostenil Injections  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Rob210474

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ostenil Injections
« on: December 08, 2006, 04:01:35 PM »
Has anyone ever had this injection?  I had my first one today.  GOD IT HURT!  I now have FOUR holes in my right knee as the nurse couldn't get the needle in properly.  She eventually had to get the Consultant to do it!!!!!

has this happened to you?  Does it work?

Rob

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
Re: Ostenil Injections
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:56:55 AM »
This sounds very similiar to the Supartz Injections which I went through. I had the 5 injections, last 1 was end of September. I am now scheduled for further surgery. This seems to work in mild to moderate cases, where I am totally bone on bone. Another lady I went with had relief with 2nd injection and it appeared to work for her. Good luck and give it a shot, the way I saw it was it was the lesser of 3 evils.

Good Luck and Hope it Helps
Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
I had Ostenil injections twice and never had pain from them, I would more say discomfort.

BTW, these injections are given IA (intra-articular) and should be given by a dr, Except when they tell a nurse to do so and she is trained to give IA injections. I never give them!

Good luck! Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:33:18 PM »
Hi Rob,

If these are like Orthovisc and I'd guess they are.  I too had them.  A series of three.  The injections actually didn't hurt as much as I thought they would but I also had a doctor do them.  Not even his PA was given this task so I'm surprised they had a nurse do it.  Unfortunately for me I too am scheduled for another surgery - I got no relief.  I did have a big increase in pain after the 3rd injection which finally subsided to by usual pain level.  I have know people who have had them and gotten good but temporary relief.  Good luck - they work for some and maybe you will be one of those they work for.

Deborah

Offline Lorro_rugby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:00:58 PM »
Hi,
  I had ostenil injuctions about six months ago. Following a anthoroscopy to mend a lateral meniscus tear. The reason i had the injections was because i was still getting slight locking symptoms post-op. The injection itself did hurt a little, and also made the knee sore for a couple of days. I had a course of three injections over three weeks. After i had completed the course i found that the symptoms stopped. I think that these injections do have some short term effects over a six month period or so, they don't seem to be a long term solution if you have serious structural problems with the knee. But in the words of my physio, it can't really harm the knee, if it aids the knee even a little by increasing synovial fluid etc then it can only benefit. Obviously you have to seek medical advice to make sure that the injections don't hide any long term problems.