Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Whats the longest someone have used a brace? Any negatives?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline motoadve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Whats the longest someone have used a brace? Any negatives?
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
In my case the OA is because an old accident and no ligaments , so knee has been unstable for 20 plus ears and knee wore out.
Im 43 full into sports.
I ordered a Cti brace that stabilizes the knee and also its an unloader, since m OA is not degenarative, if I stabilize the knee and unload it at the same time, was thinking this will slow the OA quite a bit.Since the knee has no more play maybe the cartilage will wear down slowly.

What is your opinion on this?

Also whats the longest someone has used a brace? Years?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Whats the longest someone have used a brace? Any negatives?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:14:45 AM »
I've used an unloader brace on and off for 5 years. Plus, helps when having to stand for long periods of time, since that is one of the things that hurts more for me. Drawbacks, the strap that goes just below the bend of the knee, regardless of brace maker, can cause pressure sores if the brace is worn too much, as in excess of 12-16 hrs a day every day. I know, have had some.

Also note, braces can have the bad side effect of causing muscle weakness in that the muscles weaken because the brace takes over some of the stability work for the muscles, thus allowing the muscles too much "time off" so they weaken. Then when you go without the brace, the knee feels too wobbly until they restrengthen because of not having the brace on all the time.

So bracing can be a two edged sword, so to speak. They can be a ton of help, but it's good to go without some of the time too. When I need to wear mine a lot, such as for work, I'll wear it to work, but take it off in the car if I've got errands before I go home, or as soon as I hit the door when I get home, and I'll try to not wear it on weekends, unless I hit the flea market or something like that.

Hope it helps. pm me if you feel like it with specific questions. glad to answer if I can. My exp is unloader brace, not the other kinds.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline motoadve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Thans a lot for your reply, I think I will use minbe only when playing paintball, or Mt biking, or when riding dirtbikes, thats what the Dr told , just for activities , but not for everyday (hopefully I wont need to use it all day)

Offline danthequaker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:59:30 PM »
It's my understanding that the unloader will help slow down the wear as well as relieve you from pain.  I've had mine for two months, am 45 and had been active until pain slowed me down.  The brace has allowed me to return to activity.  Today I decided to go to church without it.  I've worn it steady since the day it was given to me.   I was so glad after three hours without it that weren't even strenuous to get home and put it on.  It's my new best friend.  The little bit of walking and climbing up and down steps I had to do to get to church, in church, and at the supermkt. after church was enough.  I was glad to get home and strap the thing on and get some pain relief.

You'll just have to feel the thing out and do what's best for you.

Good luck!