Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sudden knee pain  (Read 768 times)

Offline Big Giant Head

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sudden knee pain
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:51:31 AM »
Hi all,

First post here so I hope I do things the right way!

Ok, a couple of days ago I got this pain in my left knee, on the outer side and just below the joint.  It isn't getting any better and it is very painful to walk the majority of the time.  Occassionaly the pain eases but only for very short periods.  I have been taking anti-inflammatories as well as icing it down but it's not helping all that much.  In particular, sideways movement is the worst and it just feels like my lower leg weighs a tonne sometimes.

Could it be my anterior cruciate ligament?  I know that without an x-ray or ultra sound I won't know for sure but does the pain sound consistant with that injury?  I have torn my cruciate ligament in my right knee previously but with that one I couldn't walk as it was quite a bad tear but from memory the pain does feel similar. 

I tell you, I'm over knee pain, had problems since I was 10 (I guess being hit by a car will do that) and have had a partial reconstruction on the right one and 3 other minor surgeries on it to tidy things up/remove debris.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'll be going to the docs no doubt but they're hard to get into here... a good one that is.

Thanks!

Offline mrsidknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Sudden knee pain
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:53:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions.  But I think its a good idea to get yourself to a doctor ASAP.

If you're past the first 24-48 hours, you might want to try alternating ice and heat.
It might be helpful to get some kind of knee support or even an ace bandage.

Staying off your knee/resting might be helpful.

Hope your knee feels better!
Sid

Offline Big Giant Head

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Sudden knee pain
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:56:05 AM »
Went to the doctors (on holidays too mind you! Also the reason for not being here for ages) Was sent for xray and ultrasound etc and it turns out I have some damaged ligaments on the outer side of my knee below the kneecap.  So basically just told to look after it, take anti inflams and wear a brace for a while.  Feeling better now although I am still taking the anti inflammatories so they work!

Have a brace for each knee now which I use whenever I go walking or anything a bit strenouous.

Thanks for the reply!