Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Painless Arthritis?  (Read 10274 times)

Offline mrsidknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Painless Arthritis?
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:46:48 PM »
Hi,

[Before you read this, please know that I am not at all trying to minimize anyone's pain nor am I trying to minimize or demean anyone by asking this question.]

I guess this is slightly off topic but I don't really know who else to ask.  Someone I know has a dog with arthritis.  The dog looks miserable, his legs constantly collapse, he has a horrible time standing up and often needs assistance to do so (someone has to support his back end so he can get up).  The arthritis affects his hips primarily but also involves all leg joints.

This has been diagnosed 100% as arthritis.  I'm guess OA rather than RA as he is really old.

My friend says that the vet said that even with the arthritis, he is in no pain--the arthritis causes severe dysfunction yet is painless.

My question:  Have you ever heard of any type of arthritis that causes no pain? 

In my mind, joints are joints.  Is it possible that my friend is hearing what she wants to or that the vet is not being completely honest with her?

It just kills me to see this dog struggle to get up, stand up, and move around.  He can no longer do stairs and going in and out to the bathroom, even when using the wheelchair ramp, is difficult for him.  Maybe I'm projecting but being around him and looking him in the eyes is hard for me because despite what the vet said, it appears he is suffering.

Any suggestions/advice/help you can give is greatly appreciated.  Again, I don't mean to offend anyone by bringing this up in a human forum.  My apologies to anyone who I've upset.

Thanks.
Sid     

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Painless Arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:56:23 PM »
Hey Sid - I can't imagine that you would upset anyone for asking this - it is only because you care!

I had grade 4 OA (bone on bone) prior to my op - and had bad days where I could barely walk - but I also had weeks on end - especially in the summer when I had no pain at all! Maybe the dog has the same circumstances and is mostly pain free - I hope so!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline mrsidknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:05:35 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, arthritis is only one of his problems.... but good to know it is at least possible that arthritis be painless.

Hey Sid - I can't imagine that you would upset anyone for asking this - it is only because you care!

I had grade 4 OA (bone on bone) prior to my op - and had bad days where I could barely walk - but I also had weeks on end - especially in the summer when I had no pain at all! Maybe the dog has the same circumstances and is mostly pain free - I hope so!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
I went many years with days and months with out pain with OA.  In my left knee I have Oa.  It doesnt hurt.  I may hear clicking and rubbing but it does not hurt.

My Right knee is another story.  I had ice pick pains before the TKR.

I believe Dogs have a high tolerance for pain.   I also believe dogs will give it their all to lead as active of lives they can.  If they feel they can not go up stairs  they will wait for Us human friends to help.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:32:36 PM »
Have grade 3 lesion. Have lots of clicking rubbing a feeling of derangement in there, but no real pain, stiffness or achiness. How do they know a dog has no pain though?
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support