Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: High Tibial Osteotomy.... plate and 4 screws?????  (Read 869 times)

Offline shmily

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
High Tibial Osteotomy.... plate and 4 screws?????
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:56:55 PM »
I am just curious .. I have posted many questions on here that when I have finally gone through a lot of post, I could have answered on my own. And I have tried to find an answer to this one question that is bothering me.  I am understanding that a TTT and HTO are pretty close to the same thing??? But after today... not so sure what a TTT is..well I know what it is.. just don't know exactly what is performed during the surgery.. I am having an HTO on Dec. 27th and it is going to be an open wedge... I will have a plate and 4 screws where all the pics I have seen of the TTT is just 2 screws, and being that I thought the 2 surgerys were pretty much the same thing why do I have to have 4 screws and a plate?? My surgeon is a 3 and 1/2 hour drive and very hard to get him on the phone to ask questions.. I will not see him again until the morning of my surgery, and I have a lot of questions wrote down to ask. Most of them I have found the answers on here by reading other posts. I have gone to the dictionary and still can't seem to come to terms on just exactly what is done on a TTT. I know with my HTO, I will have a break in my bone with cadaver bone inserted into the open wedge ( it could be a synthetic something or other but I was in such a state of shock when he was explaining what would be done that I don't remember what it was called) the Plate will hold the wedge open and will have 2 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom..  I will be back at work in 10 days if the pain is bearable since I have a desk job and I am glad cause I can't stand staying at home.. I was in college when I had my arthroscopy done a lil over a year ago and it was done on a thursday and I was back in school on monday, I was 42 at the time and still graduated top in my class and recieved the directors award for having a certain grade percentage and with no missed days. ( the friday after surgery the school was closed so didn't miss that day) This award has not been given out in 8 years.. so was pretty proud of myself. ok enough brags on myself.. if somebody could tell me what is exactly done during a TTT, I know what someone goes through after having it done.. but want to know what the procedure is just because I am curious. it is not what I am having done but it might shed some light on things for me... thanks to everyone on here that has helped... Sheri