Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery soon, no idea on recover time?  (Read 680 times)

Offline bear06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery soon, no idea on recover time?
« on: December 01, 2006, 11:27:15 PM »
So I'm a 16 year old fast pitch softball pitcher, and I've have some sort of knee injury for a year. I've been to 2 doctors, and had 2 MRI's and even had a MRI mis read by a radiologist. By the time I got to my second doctor he decided my diagnois was going to be patella tendinitous with ligament damage. He said he would give me a month of PT and if it didn't help I'd be scoped. It's been a month and I have not gotten any better. I went to the doctor the other day and he told me that a different Radiologist found a miniscus tear in my second MRI. My pain tends to move around my knee but basically the surgery is going to be removing my plica which could be causing pain, checking out/fixing my minisus and possibly just cleaning out my knee such scar tissue from a contusion. Does anyone have an idea of my recovery time? I'm in very good shape but the doctor only gave me and estimate of the worst possible recovery time would be 6 weeks before I'd be throwing again. I've come to the conclusion I'd been pitching like this for a year, the recovery time couldn't be that bad. Any ideas?

Thankks.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Surgery soon, no idea on recover time?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:22:47 AM »
Hi,

Recovery is really different for each of us.  However, you have young age on me and being active before the injury.  A lot will depend on how much your OS has to do in the knee.  And, depending on what they end up doing you may or may not be weight bearing for a couple days to weeks.  I had part of the meniscus removed a year ago and was weight bearing as tolerated in two days.  I used either one or both crutches for awhile.  I do know from reading the posts that it can be different if they repair the meniscus.  In January I have another surgery for again a tear and also some other issues from OA.  This time I was told, again depending on what he does once in the knee I may be non-weight bearing for up to 2-4 weeks.  But again it will all depend.  So, is this cear as mud now.

I do think because you are so young and in good physical shape your recovery will be easier.  I wish you luck and a quick recovery.  Take Care Deborah

support