Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Chrondomalacia  (Read 718 times)

Offline FitGirlTrainer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Chrondomalacia
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:30:46 AM »
I'm sure this has been posted on, but I was hoping you all could give me some insight/assistance. I was just diagnosed with this problem today. I am 41/female and have always been an exercise nut (since about 15). When I should have been doing more weights (when I was still young) I didn't. I was all cardio. I decide at 40 to start lifting not only more, but heavier. I guess I should have known something was going to come around to bite me in the butt, and so it did. About 5 to 6 weeks ago I started noticing that my knees were hurting. I attributed it to all the exercise I did. I was also doing two sessions of leg work a week, when you should really stick to one. But me - who sometimes thinks she knows it all - decides she knows better than all the bodybuilders and exercise gurus out there and so I do 2 session of legs a week, thinking I was all right putting a few days (rather than a full week) in between sessions - and I never go easy on myself.

Anyway, I am pretty sure (though not positive, could just be old age catching up) that is what caused the knee problem. About 2 to 3 weeks ago the problem got much worse, even though I had already started to do some cutting back on the leg work. Moreover, I basically stopped all squats, lunges - anything that had my knees bending (and this was hard for me to do because I'm an exercise fanatic). I was surprised when it seemed to not only NOT be getting better, but worse. I cut back even more. The past week and a half I'm doing an 1/8 of my normal daily routines.

I guess the whole thing is getting me very worried. Only the thought of not being able to do anything, mostly exercise, has forced to cut back. I keep telling myself I have to, because the last thing I want is to not be able to do anything.

Well, now I feel so paranoid (didn't help that at the same time I pulled a back muscle, which cause extreme pain for about a week, also got a bone spur on my left heel, and must have pinched a nerve because I have numbness in my right shin and numbness and an occasional shooting pain in my left thigh). Nice, huh?

Anyway, I was hoping some of you could help me figure out what to do. I understand I have to cut back on the exercise. But is there anything I can do to improve the situation? Any exercises (not to belabor the point) or any things I should absolutely avoid or supplements I should take? I just started back using glucosamine/condroitin (which also has hyaluronic acid and MSM in it).

Many thanks,
FGT

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Patella Chrondomalacia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:16:36 AM »
FGT,

Chondromalacia is a symptom, not a diagnosis.  You need to find out what is causing the softening of the cartilage and correct that problem.  It can be due to a maltracking patella.....which is often caused by the VMO (inner quad muscle) being weaker than the outer muscle, or it can be caused by a tilted patella.  Were you diagnosed with chondromalacia by an OS?  If not, see an OS and have him determine the cause.......then you can work on the solution. 

Good luck,
Patty

Offline FitGirlTrainer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patella Chrondomalacia
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:44:37 AM »
Thanks Patty. That's interesting, about Chondromalacia being only a symptom. I can't stand doctors these days. You don't get any HELP. You get rushed in and rushed out and a lot of shoulder shrugging and general disinterest. I'm old enough now (40) to remember a different time, when you got a smile and polite hello and some service. All I was told was that what I had was patella chondromalacia.

I'm an avid exerciser - and assume that is probably a big part of the problem (heavy leg lifting, doing it twice a week when I should have been doing it no more than once a week).

Anyway, how do I get the *correct* answer from my doctor. All he said - after I told him (he didn't bother asking) about all my exercise. So he told me not to do any squats or lunges for a while, and when and if I finally got back to it, to do lighter weights. That's it.

FGT,

Chondromalacia is a symptom, not a diagnosis.  You need to find out what is causing the softening of the cartilage and correct that problem.  It can be due to a maltracking patella.....which is often caused by the VMO (inner quad muscle) being weaker than the outer muscle, or it can be caused by a tilted patella.  Were you diagnosed with chondromalacia by an OS?  If not, see an OS and have him determine the cause.......then you can work on the solution. 

Good luck,
Patty