Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone know about working on sick leave in UK? Please!  (Read 710 times)

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Anyone know about working on sick leave in UK? Please!
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:59:06 PM »
Can anyone help? I am signed off for 2 weeks but am intending to ask GP for longer as I have a very demanding job. I had a lateral release and debridement/shaving of patella last week, and possible meniscus tear removal (waiting to hear bout that one at first post op appt on 11th Dec.) My boss has just phoned and asked me to do a presentation in IT next Thursday (just 2 weeks after). I will still be off on sick pay. I am a mug and can't say no so have agreed reluctantly. I explained that I probably won't be driving by then so she has offered to do a 35 mile round trip (that's just to get me there!) to pick me up. I will have to put my daughter into childcare for the day for ease even though it's only 2-3 hours I'll be out 3.30-5.30 (+ travel time). As she said, I can sit to present it.  She kept saying I don't want to pressurise you etc etc. I could put the meeting off for another week etc. But then if she thought that she wouldn't have asked in first place?!

My question is........ if I work while signed off on sick pay - is that allowed? Also I will need to be paid overtime as I don't normally work Thursdays anyway as I am part time Mon-Wed. How can they claim for that when I am off sick?! Do I need to worry about this and bring it up with her?

Please someone help me with this. I am feeling quite fragile at the moment and having a painful and weepy day so don't know if I am fussing about nothing or should be outraged....

Thanks
Itigo xx
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline ODEN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone know about working on sick leave in UK? Please!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:46:17 PM »
I'm not sure how it works in the UK - I live in the USA.  I must have a fit to return to work slip from my OS after every surgery. 

Do you have a set of Personnel Policies or Standards that you follow at work?

Good Luck!
June 2004 ACL Reconstruction/Meniscus Repair
Nov 2004 Meniscus Repair
Aug 2005 Right TRK & Lateral Release
Dec 2005 MUA & Scar Tissue Removal

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »
Thanks!

Will do some more investigating.....

Itigo
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »
Hi Itigo

If you only work mon/weds then going in on thursday would not be covered by your sick leave and you should be paid for this.  I would be careful going in while you are on sick leave, because if you need more time off for sick leave your boss can argue the point that you came in and worked while on sick leave, so he or she could say you are fit for work.  I would contact your local citizen advice bureau, they would be best to give you advice on employment and sick leave law. 

I was off work for six months prior to my surgery and three months after surgery, but I went back to work to soon, so was signed off for another month, before I went back to work.

I hope this helps.

Dee
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst