Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Very Odd Knee problem  (Read 966 times)

Offline kneegeekszoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Very Odd Knee problem
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:49:59 PM »
Hi to everyone. Just joined so I might be posting this in the wrong area.

I'm a fairly fit 48yr old. Slim, not overwieght, no known medical problems and basically keep fit by helping my wife look after our three young children. I dont feel any knee pain when walkiing slowly or fast BUT over the last few weeks I've notice something strange. I often carry my 4 year old up the stairs to bed but recently I noticed a tight feeling in my legs just above the knee. I only seem to feel it when I climb the stairs. As yet it doesnt cause me any problems but I know its there.

I decided ( foolishly or not ) that maybe I wasnt exercising the muscles enough ( I am a computer programmer so spend a couple of days a week sat at a PC ) so I started crouching down in what my kids called a karate sitting position. Even after a few seconds in this position I noticed a strain in the muscles above the knee and if I stay a while longer it starts to hurt...

I wish I could describe it better but it does not feel like the knee itself but the muscle group ( or something ) just above the knee.

Anyone with some ideas !

Cheers

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Very Odd Knee problem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 06:14:01 AM »
Sounds like you have found some unused muscles and nothing to worry about. Be careful with the exercises and don't overdo and I'm sure you will be fine.
The same when you carry your son up. He's getting heavier and that put stress on your knees.
If you look at the mainsite here under rehab section you find good exercises to strenghten the muscles around your knees.
Hope all works for you.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 05:09:31 PM »
If immediately above the kneecap, could be you're straining your quadriceps tendon.  If so, check with any trainer you might have where you exercise and ask which exercises you can do to strengthen quad muscles without irritating quad tendon.  Hope you get it all worked out.
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 10:32:05 PM »
Hi Kneegeekszoo,
This does sound like a quad tendon problem. Crouching down isn't a good thing to do for that, because that puts a lot of strain on your knee. There is a simple stretch that will help, though. I'll try to describe it as best I can. Lift your foot up behind you and rest it on a surface that is about at your hip height, like a table or a bar stool, but don't bend so much that your foot is touching your butt. Let your knee just hang down and push your hips forward til you feel a stretch in your thigh muscles. Hold that for a minute, then rest and repeat a couple more times. Be careful not to be too aggressive, because you don't want to injure your quad tendon, it should just be a gentle stretch. Try this twice a day if you can, and you should soon feel a difference.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

support