Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bipartite Patella  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Thedralb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bipartite Patella
« on: November 26, 2006, 12:36:12 AM »
My 15 year old son was diagnosed with bipartite patella after having knee pain for about 3 months.  He plays basketball 6 days a week and weight trains 3 or 4 days a week.  He ended up having surgery on August 24 to remove the extra piece of bone.  The doctors said everything looked fine and his knee looked healthy otherwise.  He was released to return to normal activity after 2 weeks.  As soon as he started to do light exercise he developed water on his knee.  The doctor drained it twice in 2 weeks and then the third visit he said he was going to let it go to see if it would go away on its own. My son was instructed to rest and ice it and take ibuprofin.  For 3 weeks he stayed off of it,  finally the water went away.  With my son now being off of his feet for 6 weeks his thigh atrophied, and was 3 inches smaller then his other leg.  He has been doing his therapy and is at about 75% of his strength.  He is now at 13 weeks and has been released to full activity.  He is still having some pain and is very slow with his first step or with any jumping when he plays basketball.  Does anyone have any advice for me.  My son is very frustrated and regrets having this surgery.   Initially we were told that recovery for this would be 4 to 6 weeks.  Its been double that.  Any help would be appreciated.

support