Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Things are not going well...  (Read 1645 times)

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Things are not going well...
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:13:19 AM »
Hey all. So yeah, things just never seem to go well for very long. I had a TTT/LR the end of July and things were going alright, problems with the screws, but it was okay for the most part. Last week (dec.14) i slipped while on my way to write a final, and while my knee was really killing me i got up and wrote the final. I figured that because my kneecap felt okay and there were no signs that it was giong to dislocate i would let things work their way out. So by yesterday the swelling and pain was getting to be to much for me to handle and the knee was starting to feel unstable, so i went into the ER. Turns out i have an MCL tear with possible meniscus damage as well. The dr has put me on painkillers, anti-inflammatory and i am on crutches for the next 2 weeks... However, the good news, the kneecap itself felt good apparently and there was no sign of patellar tracking being off at all, so yipeee!!! In my opinion that would mean that surgery was a success, because a slip like this before surgery would have earned me a dislocation quite easily. I have quite a history of MCL injuries, as my initial injury when skiing was a complete MCL tear and ACL strain, and since then i have partially torn the MCL a few times (over a span of nearly 6 years). So yeah, merry christmas to me... I really am trying to not get myself down over this, but it is so hard...i am trying to stay focussed on the positive that my kneecap felt good...but it is hard... I see my OS on jan 22 for a follow-up post-op TTT/LR and to talk about screw removal, but now i will also be having my ligaments and cartilage assessed. Anyway, i just felt like getting some of this new development off my chest, and i thank you all in advance for words of encouragement or advice,
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Things are not going well...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:28:22 AM »
Sorry you ended up hurting yourself more..good at least that surgery wasn't ruined.
It takes soooo little to get sooo much. Lucky we don't know anything before it happens or we wouldn't be out doing anything at all. I hope that your injuries are to the best so you don't need more surgery. Try enjoy your holidays anyway. Please let us know how all turns out.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »
Hi Leah,

I'm sorry you're facing more problems.  Unfortunately we can't really live under a rock so there is always potential to have a fall or re-injure ourselves.  I'm very glad that the screws are ok and that there was no additional damage from the first surgery.  I'm wishing you the very best and hope there is good news from the OS in January.  Enjoy the holidays.  Deborah

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »
Hi Leah,
Setbacks like this can be so frustrating, but you're right to keep reminding yourself of the positive, that your kneecap is OK and is healing well. That's so much more important than the MCL and meniscus problems. Maybe those will even resolve on their own. Hang in there, and know that you have lots of sympathetic ears here whenever you feel like letting loose. Thought about asking Santa for some bubble wrap for Christmas?
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 02:21:43 AM »
Eeek... i'm glad your TTT/LR knee is okay, save for the MCL... Ouch.. I know what you are going through!  From what i've learned Ligaments don't heal up all that well, so it's no wonder you keep re-injuring the MCL... since it will have been weakened by it's previous experiences.

GOODLUCK
Hang in there

Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 09:37:15 PM »
Hey all! Thanks so much for the replies!! Your kind words helped to bring me out of the dumps that i had found myself in. I am still not all that impressed that it happened, but at the same time, i am just happy that the kneecap itself appears to be okay and stable. I have not had any problems with it since the TTT/LR in july (knock on wood!!), and i am thrilled about that!! If it weren't for the MCL tear and possible cartilage damage the knee would be wonderful. The knee is still quite swollen, but not near as bad as it was, and the pain is pretty much constant but every now and then it feels as though there is a stab inside the knee. I would maybe describe it as a pinching type sensation?? I see my PT this week (thursday) to get a further assessment of the ligaments and cartilage, so i will likely find out then the extent of damage.
I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years!!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise