Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cortisone injection made pain worse advice please?  (Read 21857 times)

Offline sky45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cortisone injection made pain worse advice please?
« on: November 25, 2006, 01:49:45 AM »
on the morning of the 22nd went for six wk post-op left knee, which is still not close to anything called normal, been going to PT three days,progress is slow at best. Wanted to talk to doc about how the left knee was still giving out and that it makes a wonderful loud snap about every five steps. His comment was everyones knees snaps now and then. He had me sit at the edge of the table moved the knee around a little. Then said think we will do a cortisone shot in left one today, maybe the swelling was some post-op bleeding. I am thinking to myself great it hurts like  >:( and you want to stick a large needle in it. He leaves the room, before I can say wait
and I just felt numb inside, the nurse comes in & makes my knee orange no topical numbing stuff for me :( and leaves the large needle on the counter, half hour later the doc comes back. He had a hard time getting the needle in, his comment was it burns some people. It didn't burn it then it hurt like :-X. He said move it some to spread it around inside, see you in six weeks. I got up my knee felt like it was full of cement and stiff. Well now it is burning swollen hot with a burning sensation down my leg under the injection site. my calf is swollen too, at PT I worked on right knee and did ems on both. Even the therapists seemed concerned they want me to call doc if pain and swelling continued. My pain is a 8+ what can this be. I looked on this site but couldn't find this kind of pain and symptom for over 24hrs.  I am at about 60 hrs and not getting better. If I call him he will send me to ER what could they do, I am just getting sick and tired of talking about my knees.  I just want to get better, but the burning pain down my leg scares me some? Any words of wisdom out there?  :'(
chondroplasty knee cap and medicus repair
right knee 9/26/06
3 compartment chondroplasty and medicus
repair left knee 10/10/06

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
Re: cortisone injection made pain worse advice please?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »
Hi Sky

Sorry you're in so much pain.

I've had two cortisone shots in my knee and both hurt like h*ll (and the second one had a long lasting painkiller in it).  Some people find them of benefit others don't.

With my first one I called the NHS helpline as I was in so much pain that I felt I needed some reassurance.  They just told me to rest, ice and take painkillers.  It took 4 days for the pain to subside.

Cortisone injections do flare the joint/area before they settle - I found this explaination that might help.
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/paindrugs/a/cortisone.htm

Give your doc a call or speak to his secretary and explain your concerns.

Sending healing vibes

Beth  ;)
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:44:27 AM »
The day after my cortisone I though " What in the world were  you thinking..this is worse than the pain you've been trying to get rid of", but then the next day...oh what a relief!!
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline qbanita1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:17 AM »
I had the cortisone injection on Dec. 22 and my pain is worse than before. I still have severe pain. I read everything about the "cortisone flare ups" but this looks more than that. I have started to think that maybe a nerve was irritated, because pain does not respond to Vicodine or other painkillers. Any suggestions? I'm getting desperate!  :'(

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »
qbanita 1, call your doc and tell how you are. It has been some weeks and you are still the same or even worse.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline qbanita1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »
Since last week my pain has started to go down. I had very severe pain after the injection for almost three weeks. I still have some pain, but it is nothing compared to what it was.  After that my general physician (the one who gave me the injection) ordered even Morphine for the pain, but nothing worked. I had an MRI done and one orthopedic surgeon told me I had a fracture on my bone and a sprained ligament. Two other doctors, who I have seen for second and third opinions, said I have osteoarhritis but there is no structural damage on my knee. Both of them mentioned that I had a very unusual and rare reaction to the cortisone injection  :-X!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
And what do you think after all you have been through ? Just curious. Where was the broken bone due to the first OS ?
Did he mean that a piece had chipped off..very common if you have this diagnos.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support