Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: waking up in pain  (Read 1219 times)

Offline bionic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
waking up in pain
« on: November 24, 2006, 08:49:04 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am 71 and had a LTKR 8 weeks ago. I am walking unaided and have no pain in the day. BUT I am not getting sufficient sleep as I wake up 6-7 times a night with pain in the sides of the operated knee. If I stretch and flex a few times and turn over the pain lessens and I eventuallly fall asleep for another 20-25 minutes. Can anyone tell me, is this normal and if so does it last or will it finally ease; as I could do with a good night's rest!!?
Thanks for your interest,
Michael UK now Bionic???

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: waking up in pain
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:50:24 PM »
Hi 'bionic'

congratulations on your new knee.

yes unfortunately this night knee pain and stiffness seems to be all part of the recovery process - I still get it 4.5months on - but it is getting easier.

Those on the site who 'know' me know that my sleep loss is rob my biggest problem - but since going back to work 6 weeks ago the sleep is getting better - prob as I am truly exhausterd!

Are you still taking your pain meds? - if not could be an idea to take them and if you are maybe you need to up it a bit at night - and are you still using anti inflammatories - I was just saying on another thread that I think that I should prob still be using them as my knee is quite swollen - but I am on my feet 10 hrs a day.

so anyway - I reckon we are normal!! ;D
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline bionic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 07:44:57 PM »
Hi Anja,

Thanks for your reply, I am pleased to hear it does get better. I am not on pain killers as I get no pain in the day.
I still have some co-dydamol so I'll try tonight. but I do not like the side effects! oh well, back to the Lactulose
Again many thanks,
I'm glad to know I am normal!!
Bionic ;)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 11:15:34 PM »
wow bionic - you must be! (bionic)
That is so good for no pain at 8 weeks. - think it was about 12 weeks before I cut down big time - haven't had any now for over a week so very pleased.

Hope the night pain goes soon for you
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

support