Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: help help ouch ouch. My Good Leg went snap.  (Read 1758 times)

knee deep in Goo

help help ouch ouch. My Good Leg went snap.
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »
Was walking up the stairs with crutches before and my good leg . which has been hurting .. the last few days.. Something went snap.. and  a pop..  .   and I could not go up the stairs.. so I slid down.. . I been putting ice on it for two hours..  and I have pain medication. but when I stand it hurts like hell.  all in the back of my leg.   I tried calling my OS office and its closed today.  I am debating if I should go to the hospital.    MInd you I am going for my PAT  for my right leg.. this week..   for a knee replacement. and my good leg has rebelled on me. ..  i been crying for the last 2 hours on and off..  and icing it . and keeping it elevated and  I cant really stand..   or crutch around. .. there is no black and blue..  everything seems behind the leg by the hamstrings.. Ok  .   Could I have pulled a muscle badly?     Should I bother my OS .. Should I go to the hospital?..  I mean what can they do for me....  i am going to try to put a lidoderm patch on my leg.. ..  But what scares me now is that I cant seem to put my weight on it.. and I have crutches..

If I wait it out.. and be patient.. right there is nothing wrong with that..  Its not like I dont have pain killers. bcos I do..  . I am just so frustrated that my good leg hurts now.. and it is so hard.. to use my right leg to take the load.. ..  What now wheel chair.. ????

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: help help ouch ouch. My Good Leg went snap.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »
Oh Goo, Sorry your "good" leg is now really acting up.  I would call the OS's answering service and let them contact the OS.  This leg is going to have to be in a bit better shape since it will be taking a lot of the load for a few weeks after the TKR. 

Do you have a neoprene brace that you could put on for some support?  Have you ever used crutches with two bad legs before?  Right leg and left crutch, left leg and right crutch.  Does not give as much support as the regular way but may give you enough to get around.

Sending lots of HUGs and healing wishes.
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
Hey Annie!

Replied on the other thread - In my very unprofessional opinion it sounds like you have pulled/torn a bit of muscle - you can do a couple of things - sit it out till it feels better or go to the ED to make sure that is what it is - or if it is something else. It is sooo easy to pull muscles when you are using a 'good' limb so much more than the bad one - of course if you go to the hospital they will at least set your mind at ease!

Hugs Anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:42:24 AM »
Getting around a bit better. Thanks for the support.  Only few people can really understand this pain and the fear of having a good leg go  .. You know you picture yourself in a wheelchair ..and crap like that..  ..  .. I keep picturing myself ..  getting into work ok on monday   ( monday , tuesday, Wednesday  Friday,  Monday Tuesday)     See six days..  Maybe I will ask my boss to work from home .. the last day or so.. 

I found one of my first braces I bought last year..  and I got a new ace bandage.. 

November does not seem to be my knee month..  It is like knee crap  part 2 .. semimemberous tendon  smack down ..

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:45:32 PM »
I was fearful just reading the title of this post! I am glad it is a bit better today. That has to be good. I am praying for you. I know how much you have been through, this is the last thing you need. I had pains in my good leg all through my recovery, had some crunching and stuff and yes, I visualized the wheelchair at times (used it too sometimes in the beginning!) so I know it's scary. I guess I would want to know exactly what was wrong right away, but we all know xrays at the hospital really don't tell you anything except the bones are okay. I'm sure once you talk to your OS on Monday, you'll get some answers. Please keep us posted, you are in my prayers daily.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 01:57:51 AM »
Celinenj03

Thank you very much for your pray and well wishes.    I go for a full set of leg xrays on Thursday for my pre admission testing.    I would feel very lame .. going in for xrays upon xrays.  I did call my OS office to find out it was closed and the paging service did not pick up before I chickened out.    I figure .. my goal is to get into work Monday..  and see how I can do the rest of the week..

Dec 6 is right around the corner.  Yet I am not in a panic about it.  My goal is all about less pain ..  and being able to walk again.  Normally  !!!

Hugs

Anne

PS.  I been reading up on your progress and  you seem to be doing very very very well. Good Job .. !!!    I will keep you posted.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 02:49:49 AM »
Oh Anne,
That is an awful thing to have happen just before your TKR surgery. I've read some of your posts in the HH and know how excited you've been to finally be getting your new knee. I do think you need to call your OS, though, just to make sure everything is really OK with the good knee. You're going to be putting a lot of pressure on it after the TKR, at least for a while, and you need it to be in decent shape. Popping and an inability to bear weight can sometimes mean that a tendon has ruptured.
I knew that my first surgery on my right knee was going to require me to be NWB for 4 weeks, but I didn't know that I also had a meniscus tear in my left knee. It had been hurting, too, but I didn't want to admit that something might be wrong. I just ignored the pain in that knee, went ahead with the surgery, and ended up making the tear in the left knee ten times worse.
I will be hoping and praying for your sake that it is something minor and will clear up on its own. Have you talked to the hens about it yet? They usually have some good advice to offer. Take it easy, and don't push yourself too hard, OK?
Terre

RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.