Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL/Swelling -Success Story  (Read 1070 times)

Offline desiree1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ACL/Swelling -Success Story
« on: November 23, 2006, 08:19:17 PM »
Hi,
It's been a while since I hace posted on here and thought I would like to share my success story.
3 years ago as a 35 year old I 'did' my ACL while playing football. After 9 months I had my Op by hamstring. My rehab went well but after 6 months I noticed that my knee clicked and felt a lump on the joint line...this turned out to be torn miniscus which i had rectified (op. no.2).
Anyway 5 days after the Op my knee suddenly became very swollen after I had been doing some leg raises. The knee continued to swell every few days often to such an extent that I could hardly walk. No matter what I tried, rest or exercise the swelling continued on and off even walking for 20 mins would make it swell more.
This carried on for 6 months until I saw another Othp surgeon here in Norway where I moved to last year. He did an MRI and said more miniscus was torn and said he would operate again but reckoned it was 50/50 if he could make the knee good again.
After the Op which went fine I had hoped this could stop my swelling issues but it came back again.

Next I was recomended a top sports physio in Oslo who looked at my knee and thought I had Synovitous (spelt wrong ?).
He gave me a program of strength building of my very week knee which was specific exercises and he said it might take 2 to 3 months to maybe help.
Well 6 months on i'm playing football twice a week and despite the knee clicking and clunking it's the best it's been for 3 years and my swelling issues have just about cleared up.

I know how much despair and feeling down you can get as I did, but eventually it turned out well for me so just hang in there and hope this can give a bit of inspiration.
The fact i'm playing football again is just a bonus for me because I never thought I would play again at the age of 38 !!!

Chris
ACL Hamstring Graft left/15th Sep 04
Scope Medial Meniscus Trim left/15th Jun 05
Scope Medial & Lateral Meniscus Trim/04th May 06

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL/Swelling -Success Story
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »
good for you.   You had a long course and did all the right things.  You deserve your success.  Thank you for posting..
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

support